Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
lol, just a thought.....a very very crazy one......but I have the sources to possibly make it happen so just thought id ask if there would be any benefit.

What about a sealed CAI (simular to the volant), that is electric and stays cold in the inside of the box, like a portable car fridge?

What about an AFE, in an airtight custom enclosure the Cone filter goes into, lined with that same silver stuff lunchbags are using, and then same electronics as a car fridge in the enclosure?

Ive got a portable car fridge I could have my friend dismantle, about the size of a basketball, that actually keeps things pretty cold, got the idea loading some sodas into it a few min for a road trip

any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I have no clue but even if they told you it wouldnt help you gotta do it just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I know very little about cold air intakes but on the surface that seems like a logical idea to me! Try it out if you can and let us know the results!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Isn't the air moving too fast to be significantly cooled down?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just a though why not investigate a water/methanol injection system instead. Would get much better results. Just my .02

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
OR, how about divert cold air from the A/C to your airbox at the flip of a switch???? BRILLIANT!
Say, I ought to patent that.:grin:

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
OR, how about divert cold air from the A/C to your airbox at the flip of a switch???? BRILLIANT!
Say, I ought to patent that.:grin:
i always thought that would be the way to go and someone whose handy could probably get it done with a minimal of fuss.
Only thing is I guess you would have to leave the A/C on.:)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
On my good ol' 455 Trans Am, we extended the a/c lines and ran them into a cool can filled with water. It worked great keeping the cool can cold, but having to run the a/c between 1/4 mile runs to keep it cold seemed to defeat the gain.

Of course, the a/c was off during the runs.

It did work very well on the street, though, from stoplight to stoplight. :)

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
hmm this has me thinking...

my jaguar actually has something kind of similar to this, except it is for the fuel lines. in my jag, the cold freon coils wrap around the fuel rails, and they get friggin CCOOOLLLLDDDD. and so i can actually get better performance when the AC is on because it makes the fuel colder and i dk why but it really helps. i bet some1 good at tubing could do the same thing to a charger w/ good results.

it always reminded me of the dragsters u see on tv that have thier fuel tanks and lines surrounded w/ ice..

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
hmm this has me thinking...

my jaguar actually has something kind of similar to this, except it is for the fuel lines. in my jag, the cold freon coils wrap around the fuel rails, and they get friggin CCOOOLLLLDDDD. and so i can actually get better performance when the AC is on because it makes the fuel colder and i dk why but it really helps. i bet some1 good at tubing could do the same thing to a charger w/ good results.

it always reminded me of the dragsters u see on tv that have thier fuel tanks and lines surrounded w/ ice..

There is something to that. My uncle used to race professionally in this car

It had a 484 Hemi and ran on Nitro if I remember correctly, and one of his tricks was to freeze the fuel. (well it didn't actually freeze due to it's content) The top picture is the car now. It recently underwent a total restoration. The Bottom pic is during it's heyday back in the late 60's. He was a real terror on the strip.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i'll take some pics of the fuel rails when i get home tomorrow so yall can see what i'm talkin about! but for what its worth, i asked a jaguar mechanic what the advantage making the gas cold was and he said it makes the fuel burn hotter. i'm not really sure how that works but he seemed to know what he was talking about...

·
Registered
236 Posts
If I remember correctly, one of the last Thunderbird supercoupes had a setup from the factory that diverted coolant(freon) for a "cold shot" across/through the intercooler to cool the intake charge down. Could only be used for short bursts IIRC. Seems like something could be adapted like that to cool the incoming air. I think using your "car fridge" idea might be better because you wouldn't be using the A/C system so your gains would be better because of less drag on the system.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
If I remember correctly, one of the last Thunderbird supercoupes had a setup from the factory that diverted coolant(freon) for a "cold shot" across/through the intercooler to cool the intake charge down. Could only be used for short bursts IIRC. Seems like something could be adapted like that to cool the incoming air. I think using your "car fridge" idea might be better because you wouldn't be using the A/C system so your gains would be better because of less drag on the system.
Depends on the A/C system I guess. When I used to run my old 87 Grand National, I actually got better times with the A/C ON on a hot day. Because on that car when the A/C was switched on the cooling fan automaticly came on, thus was cooling then engine bay. And those cars were effected by heat quite a bit. So running with the A/C on actually helped. Guess the power gains were enough to negate the power draw.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I really don't think the Car Fridge cooling chip would be up to it. There is no way it could cool the air fast enoug to make a difference.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
The air would be moving too fast to cool using this method.

I would love to see some technical documents on the effect of cooling the gasonline before combustion...... Sounds very interesting.

·
Registered
246 Posts
But it could negate heat sink into the airbox and tube between runs.

I always thought about putting in a sealed "blue ice" pack (the stuff you freeze and put into coolers to keep drinks cold) in the airbox.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I always thought about putting in a sealed "blue ice" pack (the stuff you freeze and put into coolers to keep drinks cold) in the airbox.
That's a "cool" idea indeed! I like it. I've often tossed around the idea of dry ice in the airbox......... Dunno how well that would work, but in theory it sounds do-able.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Unless you can maintain a really large temperature difference between the engine temp and the temp inside the intake box and intake tube, the air will be moving too quickly to cool off any due to the cooling.

The reason the fuel works is that the fuel line is quite a bit smaller than the intake, the temperature difference is really significant, and the actual fuel flow rate isn't all that high (plus the liquid should be able to transfer its heat more easily than air).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it work, but you'll need much more cooling than a portable snack fridge can generate.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts