Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you want to swap your black start button out with the OEM red one, do not remove your dash trim! It's not necessary (maybe someone else posted this already, but I didn't find it). This goes from being damn near impossible to a 3 minute job.

I bought one of the OEM SRT red start buttons for my 2019 Scat Pack, watched the youtube videos and started trying to pull my dash trim off. What a freaking nightmare, even if you do it right you will lose the orange clips. Mine refused to come apart at the top, and I now have a small gap between the dash top and the trim (dammit). So I started looking at pulling one of the lower trim pieces off the steering wheel instead.. and lo and behold, we have an open space right under the steering wheel where you can put your damn hand right inside! Why would anyone risk damaging their dash?? I reached inside, popped one of the top clips, and the start button was out - start to finish was about 3 minutes.

In the pictures below, put your hand in the opening under the steering wheel, reach up towards the start button and you can grab it easily. Push it out slightly towards the interior, then all I had to do was push down on the closest clip to me, and it popped out. Then you can just pull it out, unplug it, plug in the new one, put the silver trim ring on, push it back in. I have fat forearms and hands and it was still easy to reach.

I had to post this because I would have had zero reason to jack up my dash if I had seen this first.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
That’s what I was always thinking when I saw videos. Why would you take the biggest trim piece off when removing the knee panel was easy enough? Then you found an easier way! ??????

Reactions: HECKCAT

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
They’re about $60

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Great tip!

And God love you for the correct use of "lo and behold".

Reactions: tasdevl

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have a red interior it's a natural fit to have the red start button. Or maybe like me you can't see the startup message with a red start button on the screen without every time thinking that black start button needs to be red to match the message :geek:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Nice work, Dylan. Finding your thread(s) sure is extra easy with your one-of-a-kind, round, bright red avatar. Sort of stands out in the lineup of posts on a page like the red start button now does in your dash. Note, I've sent you a PM, ala CONVERSATION, to wrap-up our non Charger chat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just came across this post. I have '13 SRT and my under dash looks exactly like yours. When I try to fit my hand up in there I can't seem to get close enough to the start button location. Did you have to adjust your steering wheel any particular way?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BigFellsRT,

It’s been a while but I don’t remember moving the steering wheel, maybe I tilted it up?. I had to feel around for a bit and I don’t have a slim hand but eventually could push my hand into the area behind the button.

·
Registered
2019 Chrysler 300S
48 Posts
Part number is 68299961AC for anyone needing it

Reactions: HemiLonestar
1 - 14 of 14 Posts