Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I’m up for a spark plug change next week, and I wanted to see what other charger owners are using for plugs. What’s the best plug for performance and price? Or does it really even matter?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Although Ive yet to accumulate the miles to change plugs on any of my LX's, from what i recall, the 5.7's are good for 30k and should use the OEM copper (Champion?); others i've read use the iridium tipped ones for longer intervals, but i'd stick with the OEM's for the copper conductivity properties...

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
I had well over 120K miles on my '07 when I traded her. I changed the plugs myself each time and each time out back the OEM Champion Copper Plus plugs. Never had an issue... Just don't forget the dielectric grease and anti seize.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have put NGK Iridium plugs in everything since Y2K. I will not use another plug, they are great, I would use them even if the service interval was not increased. I have noticed a positive difference in every car I have put them in. I view the extra cost to be irrelevant, I paid $106 for 16, $70 extra broken down over several years, big deal. If you run them just twice as long as copper, cut that number in half.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sure I'd like to run Iridium.. But at the amount they cost X 16 i'll stick with the OEM Copper. I think I paid $36 bucks for all 16.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Do a search.... Some people have replaced their copper plugs with iridium, plats, and misc other plugs. Some have no issues, but others have reported throwing various codes. Ultimately it's up to you. I may be one if those last few crazy people out there (at least I know I'm the only one where I work) that actually enjoys doing such things to my car(s). Plus, I know it was done correctly. The last time I changed the plugs in my '07, I got them from Advanced Auto for $32 total with free shipping.

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
The general consensus I've seen on two different forums is that the copper Champions are the best for the Hemi's. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Any specific reason coppers are better? Or is it just the cost/benefit ratio is best? I never would have gotten Iridiums at full price, I figured at the sale price they were worth it

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Any specific reason coppers are better? Or is it just the cost/benefit ratio is best? I never would have gotten Iridiums at full price, I figured at the sale price they were worth it
Conductive properties of copper

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
Testing done by hard-core drag-racers, serious modders, and others more smarterer than I is! :)
I've been pretty active on here and LXF for a while now, and I'm just passing along what I've read over the years. :beerchug:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm sure you have done much more homework on this issue than I... 30,000 miles from now I'll take your advice and go with coppers

·
Registered
7 Posts
But do you really need to change the plugs every 30k miles? I just traded in my 2012 SXT for a 2014 R/T last week. I asked the service advisor at the dealership if there was a difference in maintenance between the six and the eight cylinder engine and he said to change the plugs every 30k (dealership wants $249.95). But the owners manual recommends changing the plugs for the 5.7 at 100k????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts