Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Charger GT AWD Tor Red
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry but I can't figure out how to search for "caliper covers" and sort by date to get the current stuff at the top so I may be posting something that is a repeat...

I have a Tor Red 2020 Charger GT AWD with black spoiler, black wheels, and black trim. I want to add brake caliper covers, probably red, with "Charger" on the front covers and the Charger chevron on the back. I know the wheels are 19" and the front brakes are dual piston.

Where have you all bought your caliper covers from? It seems that MGP has the market share (at least for google hits) and I see them on calipercovers.com and Amazon. Are you happy with them? Any problems with them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,189 Posts
Sorry, but none is my vote.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
And if your in a area with snow, they can get ripped off and do lots of damage. Don't do it,they look silly. And no one is fooled by them.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I see how that can be an issue.. lots of guys don't have the tools or place to do the work. The MGP covers are the only ones I've seen in red, blue, silver, & yellow, their website shows red, black, and yellow available for your car (I kind of like the yellow ones, but they would have to be cleaned a lot)

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Unfortunately or fortunately these things seem to have caught on and become more mainstream. A decade ago they were a ricer accessory. Now they seem to have become popular with people who want to add a sporty touch to their vehicle without getting their hands dirty. They're pretty popular around here on trucks, suvs, and sport sedans like Accords and Corollas.

I guess if I had to pick between looking at some rusty caliper, or something that has some color and says Toyota or Camry in nice lettering, it does look nicer.

I think the original ones that mimicked an actual Brembo rotor were tacky. But ones that don't really have the fake markings aren't terrible.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,189 Posts
I saw them featured on a car on Mecum Auto Auction.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
I'm sorry, but stick-on caliper covers look extremely cheesy. I equate those with the stick-on "port holes" for the fender or stick-on hood scoops. Next thing you know, you'll be putting large Chinese/Japanese/Korean characters on the side and stick-on roof "vortex fins". LOL

If you have the ability (or a friend does) to remove the wheel, you can buy a caliper paint kit online that will look a lot better and isn't particularly difficult to apply.

Best,

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
If you have the time to remove the wheel and bolt (or tape) on a caliper cover... then you can clean and brush on a paint kit. I painted my 2006 R/T calipers matte black with a brush on kit and it looked fine. I haven't touched my 2019 as they still look new and come with a black caliper but not the bracket....

I think the covers look bad and wouldn't spend money on something like that especially when they could come off and break or damage something.

·
Registered
341 Posts
As a former owner of the MGP caliper covers, I say it's the worst upgrade. They have these big stupid chrome bolts painted on them. They were oversized and rubbed on the rims. You had to bend them to keep them from scraping. They looked so fake and the price? $200? It probably cost them $5 to make. Not sure what drove me to buy them. No one ever looked at those and said they were cool. Lol. I ended up throwing them in the garbage after a couple years. The hardware that held them began to rust out. I did buy some actual caliper paint. Next time I'm doing my brakes I will take the time and paint them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 R/T Phantom Black
482 Posts
Although the caliper's covers or painted red calipers look good on some wheel, I always felt that this is "railway" legacy, where Locomotive's drivetrain painted red with lettering "caution hot".
Btw, I haven't seen yet someone with old drum brakes painting them red, cause it "not cool"

Black, IMO, like in some SP RTs looks great though

And I prefer big chunk of unpainted metal of BR5 on the front wheels ..... heavy and brutal look.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Check out this older post of step-by-step instructions of how to paint them.

Reactions: DodgeGuy

·
Registered
2012 SRT Charger, 2003 Ram hemi, 2005 Magnum
2,429 Posts
I see, I have to learn a lot.
Thought, that the trend to paint brake elements came with wide-spread of the disc brakes.
More often than not I'd see rear drums painted to match the front calipers. Few times I've seen garishly painted four wheel drums lol. With all that exterior surface area it really sticks out.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Our old 2013 Chrysler 200 has drum brakes on the rear. I put new rotors and pads on it in Sept 2017 and they came with the hub painted black (so did the ones for the old 2008PT looser) IIRC they were Centric brand.

A long long time ago (late 60's /early 70's) some of Mopars "performance" drum brakes with the Magnum 500 wheel option came painted red, but that usually burned off in less than a year. You could only see a bit of red through the slots of the Magnum 500 wheels. The "performance" drums were a bit wider than the regular drums (2 1/2" vs 2" or 2 1/4").

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts