Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the rear window louver by Willpak this past weekend. The installation was easy, but tedious and time consuming. You will need two people, and patience and a few dry runs on fitting the louver before you take the tape off.

I purchased the louver from Willpak simply because I wanted one and Willpak seems to be the only game in town.

Instructions were detailed and accurate.
Fit and finish is acceptable, but not by much.
If Willpak had some competition they might have made a better product.
It's also possible that Willpak found a louver that was already in their inventory that would work. Hense the reason why the fit isn't as good as it could be.
While dry fitting the louver, I had to move the louver far enough up to allow the trunk to open, the louver sits a little too high and shows noticeably while only allowing a 16th of an inch for the trunk to open.
The Louvers also block out the rear window viewing area more than I think should be necessary. Again, maybe this product was meant for a different car, different slope and just retasked for the Dodge Charger.
For the amound I paid, I think I could have gotten a better product, better fit and finish and hinged. It looks great while you're galloping by on a horse.
Anyway, I included some pics so you can make up your own mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Wait, so that drills in to the actual glass to mount?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. The mounting plates are held in place with double sided tape. I took the car out for a test today and the mounting plates held without issue.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have mixed feelings on these. What are your thoughts on visibility now? I saw the picture...seems like it covers a lot of the rear window.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks for posting all those pics. I was on the fence about this and after seeing the fit (obviously no fault of your own), I'm going to take a pass. Looks like you did a hell of a job with what you had to deal with.

·
Registered
291 Posts
They look good. Not good enough for me to have them on my car, but I don't hate them. I had a set on a 280ZX, the car was silver and they contrasted nicely. A pain to keep clean though. Are they metal or plastic?

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
The only kind made/sold for the '11+ Charger is wilpak louvers seen above. They are aluminum. They look pretty nice, though not nice enough for me to spend money on them and remove the custom plastic louvers I already have.

Not sure about the wilpak louvers, but visibility with mine isn't really hindered much at all. OP, you may need to just tweak the placement a bit to dial it in.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The only kind made/sold for the '11+ Charger is wilpak louvers seen above. They are aluminum. They look pretty nice, though not nice enough for me to spend money on them and remove the custom plastic louvers I already have.

Not sure about the wilpak louvers, but visibility with mine isn't really hindered much at all. OP, you may need to just tweak the placement a bit to dial it in.

So yours look like you have much more visibility than the OP. You have a pic from the outside? Also, you said custom...made in Ohio somewhere?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I had to do it again, knowing what I know now, I would have looked into a custom set. I'm not going to remove them but as Shots suggested, try and tweak things a bit. I'll let you know on the progress.

Driving with them for a few days, I've gotten used to them. The rear visibility is hindered, but driving trucks my whole life, this isn't really an issue as I'm used to looking in multiple mirrors to see what's going on behind me. The fins do vibrate slightly at speed above 60mph, they're not bouncing off the glass but you do see some movement.

The two main issues with fittment is that 1: about a 1/4" too tall and/or not enough thought went into blending them into the roofline. 2: the louvers, as a unit, are flat. The side rails the fins attach to have no curviture to them and it seems they are made for a flat window, however, the 2011-2014 charger rear window has a slight curve top to bottom and left to right.

In my honest opinion, they either grabbed something off the shelf that would "kind of" work and "close enough", and/or they just didn't spend the time for research and development.

A few people have commented on them telling me that they look great on the car. So with that, at least it's a partial success.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You don't need rear window visability. You are what we are looking out the rear window for :biggrinjester:

I always like to see who I just passed... :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
So yours look like you have much more visibility than the OP. You have a pic from the outside? Also, you said custom...made in Ohio somewhere?
Yes custom made here in Ohio, by me. :D
I took a set from the '06-'10, and custom fit them to my '12. It took a few hours to trim everything to fit properly, but I was taking it a slow and repeatedly test fitting. When I swapped them over to my '14 I did a tad more tweaking of them, and was able to remove the 4 extra support plates that are mildly visible in the previous shots.

Here they are on my '12

And then on my '14

You don't need rear window visability. You are what we are looking out the rear window for :biggrinjester:
:whistle:
Ha ha, good point.

....A few people have commented on them telling me that they look great on the car. So with that, at least it's a partial success.
And they do look great. Play with them a bit, and you may be able to remedy some of your issues. It's surprising how much a difference a little adjustment can make. When I was making mine, I quickly noticed that 1/8" here or there, made quite a difference. But I guess you noticed that too, as you noted take a while to line up the clearance with trunk lid.

·
Registered
240 Posts
They look pretty sweet from the back on your '14. I will tell you this, they fit better than the Willpak ones do!

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Thanks. From the sounds of the OP's experience, I may have spent more time on the fitment than Willpak did too.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
All in all they look good! Having the same plastic ones Shots has (also made by Willpak) your visibility is definitely more hindered than mine.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks. From the sounds of the OP's experience, I may have spent more time on the fitment than Willpak did too.
Haha! Touche!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I also recently put the wilpak louvers on my 12 charger r/t and I absolutely love them! I noticed flexing also at speeds 60+ but I've had my charger up to 100 mph and they stayed on strong so I'm not too worried. I've been in the automotive/body work business for awhile now and the 3M application swab and double sided tape they use is almost like concrete on strength. I also went around each plate and sealed the edges with liquid nail sealer (clear) mainly to keep water out but also as added protection....I can confidently say it would be easier to replace the back glass than to try to get the plates off after installation. As for looks I've got several compliments on a daily bases. The only thing that I would change about them is the price lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts