Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys. I ordered a spoiler for my charger and i'm wondering how hard it is to install on your own. I'm not very comfortable with drilling into my car, but I also don't really feel like spending a ton of money just to get it installed. Is it very hard to do on your own?

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Nope, it's a cake walk. I put one on my '10. The hardest part is getting past the thought of drilling into a perfectly good trunk.

The holes required are relatively small, and the mounting surface of the spoiler easily covers them. Just take your time. Lay it all out with a crayon, tape or some other temporary means of marking it. Hold it up over the planned hole locations and see if everything looks right. Then drill the holes, and screw it down. I don't know if I made a thread when I did mine or not, but I'll check. If so I'll post a link for you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I added one, tape off the area, have a sharp drill bit and follow the instructions.
After drilling uses an air blower the get rid of the metal shavings so they do not scratch or rust. Just go slow and take your time, it will go fine.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
One more tip, touch up the bare metal on the holes after you drill with touch-up paint or some sort sealant to protect from rust forming later on the bare metal that is exposed on the edge of the hole. A thin layer of silicone caulk works well also. Just enough to coat the surface of the edges of the hole.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, cool. I think i'm going to just do it myself, the instructions don't look that hard. 3m tape is another option, but I don't really trust it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
3m tape is good but it wont hold up at all. It is very very easy to install a spoiler as long as you don't rush. I did mine in about 20 minutes by myself.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hah, yeah. It's pretty easy. But I spent 20 minutes looking at it after I had already measured it about 100 times before I finally put the drill to the car.

And then I almost drilled a hole, and then measured it again. And again.

It's really easy.

When you start drilling, start small and work your way to a bigger hole.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts