Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went to a car shop for something unrelated to the engine, but after they lifted the car they saw that the bottom of the transmission was a little "wet" with engine oil. The lead mechanic said that it is likely leaking from the rear main seal. It seems to be pretty small since I don't see any oil on my garage floor, but maybe it only leaks when it is running?

My car is a 2021 Charger SP WB that I took delivery on in August, and the car currently has 1100 miles on it.

Is this a common issue? I saw 1 other thread on a hellcat forum that was talking about a rear main seal leak, and someone commented that theirs leaked for the first 500 miles and then stopped.

I did just do the first oil change (after the leak was discovered) and used the recommended Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 0W-40 Motor Oil, so not sure if it could have something to do with the factory oil being thin? I don't really know what I am talking about though.

Either way my car is headed to the dealership to be looked at today.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
The factory oil is the correct oil. For all you know they might confuse the ZF transmission fluid for darkended engine oil. ZF fluid is not red, but has a darkish tint so it could be mistaken for another fluid. They just need to to track it down and fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The factory oil is the correct oil. For all you know they might confuse the ZF transmission fluid for darkended engine oil. ZF fluid is not red, but has a darkish tint so it could be mistaken for another fluid. They just need to to track it down and fix it under warranty.
Good to know, thank you. Headed to the dealership now.

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
The ZF fluid is green. Should be easy to tell the difference on a low mileage car. I don't recall seeing either ZF leak or rear main leak on new/low mileage hemi Chargers. At least not on these forums. I would wash things down and get it all cleaned up, then check to see if it's an actual leak or maybe the result of some sort of spill.

Best,

Reactions: N8ECH and POWERMAN

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealership called back, it does indeed have a rear main seal leak. Obviously it is covered under warranty and being repaired. They said a day or 2 to get the seal in and then a day to get it repaired. Hopefully I will have it back by this weekend. But hopefully they don't mess something else up be repairing it. I don't have a lot of faith in dealership mechanics.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Well:
That's crappy news. At least, it's on their dime and not yours. Keep us posted.

Don

Reactions: jwhitney21

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Most first oil change my rear main seal was wet
not dripping.
By the second oil change it was dry and I also stopped burning oil.
I get the occasional puff of smoke at start up
but it’s not enuff to drop my oil level.
I have a white drive way so any drips would show up.
I wouldn’t replace a seal unless it dripping a weeping seal is not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most first oil change my rear main seal was wet
not dripping.
By the second oil change it was dry and I also stopped burning oil.
I get the occasional puff of smoke at start up
but it’s not enuff to drop my oil level.
I have a white drive way so any drips would show up.
I wouldn’t replace a seal unless it dripping a weeping seal is not worth the trouble.
It isn't costing me anything but time, plus they gave me a loaner until I get it back. I would rather it be taken care of now than become an issue in a few years. I trust my buddy that identified the issue (he is the lead mechanic and part owner of a highly reputable performance shop here in TN).

I checked my driveway last night and didn't see any oil, but that may be due to a super slow leak or only leaking when it is running. But either way, I just want it taken care of.

I don't drive my car a lot, my 2019 scat pack that I bought in Dec 2019 had 6000 miles on it when I traded it in for my 2021 in May 2021. I also purchased a 10 year, 60k mile warranty through Dodge (they basically gave it away) - so any future issues will be resolved as well.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,328 Posts
I'm not that trusting. I would have cleaned it up real good and drove it again to see if it returned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not that trusting. I would have cleaned it up real good and drove it again to see if it returned.
I don't understand your logic on cleaning it to see if it comes back. Why would it not come back if it was there in the first place? Is there a reason it would be leaking now, but not leak later? If that was the case wouldn't Dodge push back on fixing it since they are paying for it?

I feel you on being untrusting of dealership mechanics, but I don't really have another option unless I want to pay out of pocket.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Personally the less my car spend in the shop the less change of further problems.
A weeping seal is not a big deal by pulling the trans and replacing the seal you might be opening yourself up to bigger problems.
Working at stealerships for 50 plus years I have seen simple shit turn into living nightmares.
I only had 1 or 2 mechanics who I trusted to do anything.
I have seen rear seals that leaked worse after being replaced.
But it’s your car and your choice

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,328 Posts
I don't understand your logic on cleaning it to see if it comes back.
Sorry, but I have lived long enough to have seen scams like squirting oil on shocks, or rear trans seals, crank seals and calling the owner over to break the news and fleece them.

Not saying yours is the case but from my past experience, I would have thanked the guy, went home and put her on stands, de-greased the area, and drove her a couple hundred miles and have another look.

Below is a pic of one such attempt where a Kaufman Tire Rep rotating my tires sprinkled scrap around one of my new struts telling me I need a new one. Heh.... I fingered it a litte, took a hose and puffed it off, stayed cool, thanked him and hawk-eyed them until I got my car off the rack. Never to return.

I have advanced mechanical skills and a former private investigator. So yeh, I would have looked, cleaned it and ran it more.

Automotive tire Yellow Tire Rim Material property

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The leak was not initially found by the dealership - it was found by a good friend, lead mechanic, and owner of a local performance shop. It was he who suggested to take the car to the dealership and get repaired, which I did. Dealership confirmed that it was leaking enough to get it replaced - which they are doing. It isn't costing me a dime, the dealership is paying for everything. If it wasn't a big deal I am sure the dealership would have tried to get out of doing the work.

And if something else goes wrong - I will go back to the dealership, and if they keep ****ing things up I will go the lemon car route. My best friend is a lawyer and would be more than happy to help me out if it comes to that.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,328 Posts
Glad to hear a trusted friend spotted it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yesterday I went to a car shop for something unrelated to the engine, but after they lifted the car they saw that the bottom of the transmission was a little "wet" with engine oil. The lead mechanic said that it is likely leaking from the rear main seal. It seems to be pretty small since I don't see any oil on my garage floor, but maybe it only leaks when it is running?

My car is a 2021 Charger SP WB that I took delivery on in August, and the car currently has 1100 miles on it.

Is this a common issue? I saw 1 other thread on a hellcat forum that was talking about a rear main seal leak, and someone commented that theirs leaked for the first 500 miles and then stopped.

I did just do the first oil change (after the leak was discovered) and used the recommended Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 0W-40 Motor Oil, so not sure if it could have something to do with the factory oil being thin? I don't really know what I am talking about though.

[/QUOTE

·
Registered
3 Posts

Is this a common issue? I saw 1 other thread on a hellcat forum that was talking about a rear main seal leak, and someone commented that theirs leaked for the first 500 miles and then stopped. 21 Charger SP WB.

So, I just noticed the same thing on my car. 3800 miles. Small, oil drop in the driveway!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts