Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I currently have the transmission out of my 2007 Charger and was thinking about replacing the rear main seal while I am in there. I read in my old Haynes repair manual that special tools are needed to aligned the oil pan and the main seal housing. of course the manual doesn't tell you how to use the tool. The dealer gave me the tool part number (8225) but said he couldn't help with the alignment procedure. The tool looks like a straight edge with an extra groove in it (attached below). Is it simply used to make sure the pan is parallel to the engine block? or is there more to it? has anyone replaced their own seal housing? Did you even bother with it "special tool"?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 3.5L engine, but yes that is the same part for the 3.5L as well. What I'm guessing, is because the book wants you to drop the oil pan along with the transmission, it wants you to screw the to alignment tools to the block where the pan would be attached. This creates a "shelf" on either side for the seal housing and gets it exactly inline with the oil pan. After being exactly aligned, then tighten the bolts down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts