Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I saw that there was a tsb on this but I'm not having any luck finding anything about it. Does/Did anyone have this problem and have any info about it?

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
are you talking about the trans?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no the rear end

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
My dealer used a TSB for a Jeep to solve this. It basically installed a filter tube on the differential breather, which allowed the fluid to expand in and drain back into the diff. The service advisor said what was happening was the fluid foamed up and pushed out of the breather, puddled and basically started dripping around the axle, making it look like a bad seal.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I'll take it and let them look at it. Got rust on the sunroof also. Should be a interesting day at the stealership.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I thought I saw that there was a tsb on this but I'm not having any luck finding anything about it. Does/Did anyone have this problem and have any info about it?
Had my '06 Daytona in for the 21K Oil change this past Saturday and we discovered the almighty tranny o-ring leak, which they fixed in about 15 minutes. However, what did surprise me was that the right rear axel seal is leaking. No info on this leak, but did set up an appointment in a few weeks to have the axle pulled to replace the seal. Maybe seeing the actual seal when its pulled will tell us something.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Had my '06 Daytona in for the 21K Oil change this past Saturday and we discovered the almighty tranny o-ring leak, which they fixed in about 15 minutes. However, what did surprise me was that the right rear axel seal is leaking. No info on this leak, but did set up an appointment in a few weeks to have the axle pulled to replace the seal. Maybe seeing the actual seal when its pulled will tell us something.

Have them check to make sure its not the vent tube. There was a lot of seals being replaced multiple times and they finally found it to be the vent tube on most of the cars. Have them check this first - if they don't have to tear the rear end apart, all the better.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thank you, I will do exactly that!

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
I had a whole different idea about what this thread's title meant... :sick:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
110 Posts
Rear End Vent Tube Leak

Have them check to make sure its not the vent tube. There was a lot of seals being replaced multiple times and they finally found it to be the vent tube on most of the cars. Have them check this first - if they don't have to tear the rear end apart, all the better.
Well, here is the follow up on this. Since I am heading from Ohio to Florida in a few days, I took the Daytona back in for the Dealer to do a double check on the tranny leak fix and the right rear axle seal leak. The tranny was dry, so that o-ring replacement did the trick.

Now, the axle seal, I gave them a copy of what you told me and they took another look at the right rear end axle. This time, they reached up where the 'vent tube' is and found that it was all wet with the rear end fluid. Initially, they did not look up at the vent tube. So CRAZY LUCK, you seemed to hit the nail right on the head and saved them, and me the headache, of pulling the axle to replace a seal that was not leaking to begin with . So CRAZY LUCK, thank you!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LILGTO what is it that they did to fix it?

·
Registered
110 Posts
LILGTO what is it that they did to fix it?
They did not fix anything at this time as they wanted to talk to 'people' on what is the best way to fix this problem. Since the seal wasn't leaking, I wasn't concerned about not having anything done at this time. When I get back from Florida in a couple of weeks, I have an appointment already set up to get the car back in to correct the problem. At that time, they should have a plan on how to fix. I believe that all they will do is extend the vent tube, but that is the initial thinking. I will advise in several weeks on what the actual fix is.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
They did not fix anything at this time as they wanted to talk to 'people' on what is the best way to fix this problem. Since the seal wasn't leaking, I wasn't concerned about not having anything done at this time. When I get back from Florida in a couple of weeks, I have an appointment already set up to get the car back in to correct the problem. At that time, they should have a plan on how to fix. I believe that all they will do is extend the vent tube, but that is the initial thinking. I will advise in several weeks on what the actual fix is.
My dealer used a TSB from a Jeep to fix it for me. The part they used was basically a longer vent tube that had a filter in it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I finally took my car in today for 3 different leaks (oil leak, transmission leak, rear transaxle leak). They ordered an oil temp sensor for the oil leak, replaced the faulty o-ring part for the transmission leak, and told me the exact same thing I heard 6 months ago from them about the transaxle leak. That it was a little overfull and coming out the vent hose. Even though I had provided them with the TSB# for the Jeep fix. Needless to say that frustrated me, but I'll see if it's still leaking after a bit. If it is, I'm going in and demanding they fix it instead of asking.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
My dealer used a TSB from a Jeep to fix it for me. The part they used was basically a longer vent tube that had a filter in it.
Thanks CL. I have a breather tube leak too and I told them about putting an extension on but they said they didn't know anything about it. Armed with the JEEP TSB info I will try once again.

C.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thanks CL. I have a breather tube leak too and I told them about putting an extension on but they said they didn't know anything about it. Armed with the JEEP TSB info I will try once again.

C.

Good luck. I even provided them with the TSB # and it still didn't work for me.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Well, if it was overfilled, it ain't now. LOL

Wipe it down and watch it. Mine did this too when it was new, I saw a few drops on the garage floor the next morning after I did some "spirted driving" during the night. I think this caused the overflow.

I was also told the factory had filled the rear ends up with a little too much fluid. I'm now at 19K miles on a 2006 R/T. Has never leaked since.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts