Charger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted a while back asking about installing a factory rear DVD player in a 2007 Charger SRT-8. Myself and others had questions, which I can now answer as I installed a factory unit in my car today.

1) The DVD player will work in any Charger, but

2) For the DVD audio to be able to play through the car speakers, or for the rear passengers to be able to listen to the CD/satellite/tape/radio through the headphones, you must have either of the upgraded stereos (6-disc changer either with or without navigation). If you have the standard stereo you can only hear the DVD audio through the headphones, and that's all you can hear through them.

3) Dodge scammed the Charger SRT-8 owners. It was only possible to get the DVD player if you ordered option groups 2 and 3. Option group 3 is totally unnecessary. Option group 2 is required to hear the audio through the car speakers as mentioned above, but option group 3 has nothing to do with the DVD player. The proof is my car only has groups 1 & 2, but the DVD plays through the car speakers and I can play any stereo function through my headphones. So to get the DVD from the factory you first had to pay $2400 for an option group that was irrelevant to the DVD functionality. I just saved myself over $3K. The unneccessary $2400 option group 3, and I saved $800 by getting a brand new DVD system off Ebay for less than half of what the dealers charge for it.

As far as the install goes, not very difficult. It is even easier than the instructions say (at least in the case of my 2007 Super Bee), as some of the modifications in the instructions (written in 2005) have already been incorporated into the vehicles. I did not have to make any of the holes in the console, as they were already there. I did not need to notch the console, as the bracket that at one time must have interfered with it in two locations didn't anymore. Nor did I need to get the unit reprogrammed. As soon as I installed it the stereo recognized it and added the VES mode which was not there before. Total install time was less than two hours. If I had to do it again it would take less than an hour.

So if you are in the market for a new or used Charger and want a DVD system but not GPS, or you want to add it to a vehicle you already own, save yourself some money by getting a DVD system off Ebay and install it yourself.

·
Registered
166 Posts
rear dvd

Pics would have been cool, but still many thanks for the info.
Good job!
:headbang:

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
I did mine on the 4th of July with the help of the sellers. The hardest part was removing and installing the Sirius wires. I didn't know about being able to hear anything else but the DVD through the headphones, that might be neat later for the kids.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't know about being able to hear anything else but the DVD through the headphones, that might be neat later for the kids.
Yup. Just hit the "Mode" button on the remote or on the DVD player and it will scroll through the satellite radio, AM/FM radio, cassette tape player, and CD player. You can listen to any of them through the headphones no matter what is playing over the car speakers, and vise-versa. Between this functionality and the way the screen folds into the console while still being able to use it as a console, this is one of the best engineered products I've ever seen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts