Charger Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my power steering pump replaced, cause it blew, and then had hoses and belts replaced because they expanded fromt he P/S fluids...

Then, my diff blew..

I was driving and felt a sort of rumble/grinding from the back around 1500-3500RPM and it got worse and worse, over a coupla km's and then, downshifted to 1st to turn, and BAM! Cracked the **** out of it.

I had it towed in and they said, "Yeah with an open diff and this kind of power.. what idiots they were to have designed it this way."

I was out of a car for 2 weeks.

Then I got it back, but the bushings were crap, and creeked like hell every time I gave it gas. Sounded like a wagon.

And then, BAM! Happened AGAIN! This time it was the coupler.. the part of the drive shaft that connects the shaft to the diff.

It was crapped out, and again out of a car ONE more time. SO they fixed THAT.

NOW the diff is ****ed again, because the guy who test drove it, with the busted coupler, and screwed bushings, seems to have destroyed it.

So what the hell? How come I am paying so much for this car, that is always in the damned garage, ALWAYS being fixed... why the HELL would SRT make a car like this, with an OPEN diff. - *******s IMO

So.

This sucks.

I wanna switch out of this car as it has ~44,000km on it now, and warrenty's running out. Paint is faded along the bottom cause of the stupid rocker panel design, and the brakes are nearly gone cause very stop shaves off 10lbs of brakes (as you can see on your wheels)

But I love the car.

:|

- Jamos

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
actually an open differential would take more abusive then a LSD or Locker.
so the guy saying why they would put such a powerful engine with an open differential is wrong.

traction aiding devices are hard on parts.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
actually an open differential would take more abusive then a LSD or Locker.
so the guy saying why they would put such a powerful engine with an open differential is wrong.

traction aiding devices are hard on parts.
I'd have to agree with that.... :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wow...twice?

The problem with our electronically controlled diffs is that when one tire gets spinning the computer then tries to switch torque over to the opposite side causing massive shock from side to side at times. I see this often at the track...scary as hell....one tire spinning wildly then the other slams into play. Definitely can't be good. A real clutch based LSD would go a long way towards eliminating this issue.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wow...twice?

The problem with our electronically controlled diffs is that when one tire gets spinning the computer then tries to switch torque over to the opposite side causing massive shock from side to side at times. I see this often at the track...scary as hell....one tire spinning wildly then the other slams into play. Definitely can't be good. A real clutch based LSD would go a long way towards eliminating this issue.
Funny,I saw no wires going to my Diff.??

·
Registered
751 Posts
Funny,I saw no wires going to my Diff.??
You will, they are on the wheel speed sensors, the car moduates the rear brakes via the ABS to give a form of traction control. Highway tractors have done this for years, same principle just modulating an air brake system instead of hydraulic. In a straight line these cars usually spin both anyways because there is no axle wrap (the differential taking load off one wheel because of the direction the driveshaft is turning, thats why open diff solid axle vehicles do the old peg leg on the passenger side). A fixed differential eliminates that, but it is still is open. I have never noticed mine slamming, especially now with the Diablo and the ability to leave scratch in 3rd.

The guy is full of it though with the open diff being hard on stuff, they aren't, it what saves our CV axles really. An example is an S10 pickup I worked on. A 2wd with a wimpy 7 1/2" diff that originally had a 2.2 4 cylinder with a 5 speed, now has a 450 HP 383 stroker with a 700R4. That owner never had differential trouble, why? Easy, street tires and it was open equalling no traction. Traction and shock loading breaks parts, spinning like a mad fool doesn't. The only open diff we broke was the 7 1/4" in my buddies 81 Mirada. The 318 didn't have the balls(2:26 gearing, no thats not a typo, i mean 2:26) to spin the tires, so like idiots 4 of us would lift the back of the car off the ground, let her get to about 80 or 90 mph and drop it, then it would light them, and in the process take all the teeth off the spider gears.

To the original poster Jamos, I don't know why your car is doing that, but it seems from other posts the car causes you a lot of grief. Although really the yolk and second differential are caused by shop stupidity and not really just pure mechanical failure.

However you say it yourself, its always being fixed and there is a simple answer to that, buy something else, not a 300C or another Charger or Magnum, they are all the same chassis platform so you are not changing anything. Buy a different brand of vehicle and start over, thats what I did, used to be all Gm, now you couldn't give me something they slapped together in the last 10 years. Just a thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts