Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure if this has been covered before, I apologize if it has been but I wanted to put this info out just in case anyone else has been suffering.

I have a 2013 Charger SRT with the Harmon Kardan $2K option that over time developed a rear deck rattle that basically made you not use the stereo at any significant volume. First dealer visit they installed new amplifier firmware called out by a TSB, result 10X worse 50% less volume. Wonderful.

Second dealer visit we added some foam to one of the C-Pillar covers that we determined was rattling. Then after a short while more rattling. This time it is the package tray.

Third visit - we removed the original package tray (AA rev part) and observed no foam or rubber pads at the rear edge. When we compared that to another charger package tray (not SRT HK option - but an AB rev) we noticed significant additional foam pads at the rear edge and other locations. We then applied a strip of self adhesive weatherseal (Frost King Rubber Foam Weatherseal 3/8" wide 7/16" thick - I bought at Home Depot or Lowes can't remember which) across the rear edge of the original package tray. Rattling problem is now solved.

Still can't seem to get access to the as-built original amplifer firmware to bring back the full sound volume but for now - its soooooo much nicer. Dealer says corp regulations don't allow backward revision installs apparently. If you are planning to take your car in for this problem - DO NOT LET THE DEALER INSTALL THE TSB AMPLIFIER LOAD.

Would hope to see Dodge correct the TSB and stop instructing the techs to install the performance decreasing amplifier firmware load and instead have the techs install a foam refit kit for the package tray.

Thanks to the guys at the dealership (Greg and Chris at Cook Motor Cars) for seeing this through and giving a darn. I appreciate it very much.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Do a search for rear deck rattle. There are a few threads about this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Both my 2012's had/have this issue. Certain songs really "bring" out the vibration and it is very annoying. I tried to have the dealer fix it twice on my R/T 2012 and both attempts were failures. I've not taken the SRT in for this since it wasn't fixed on the first one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Both my 2012's had/have this issue. Certain songs really "bring" out the vibration and it is very annoying. I tried to have the dealer fix it twice on my R/T 2012 and both attempts were failures. I've not taken the SRT in for this since it wasn't fixed on the first one.
If you are still suffering the fix is pretty easy actually. 40 minutes and a couple bucks for the weatherseal. You might need the two christmas tree pins in case you break the ones in place during removal.

One clarification - I put the weatherseal on the bottom surface of the package tray. I just read a similar thread where someone put it on the top.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Neoprene Foam positioned around the back sides pushed in and under the trunk lid cover stopped mine perfectly. There is a post that I read about this fix. It works! Part cost me $2.00 dollars. No more vibrations!

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Can you post a photo of where your putting the foam to stop the vibration?

·
Registered
45 Posts
crammed in around the back where the speaker are. Put the neoprine pipe foam cut in 2 inch strips by an inch crammed in the sides. Cram it in where it meets the glass in the back and on the sides. The trunk has a lot of room with the cover up under the trunk lid. Push the neoprene rubber in anywhere you can make it fit.

I will get some pictures latter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you post a photo of where your putting the foam to stop the vibration?
We ran a continuous strip of frost king weatherseal on the underside of the package tray about 1.5 inches from the rear edge.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Subscribed...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts