Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed the rear bumper/ fascia catches air on the highway?

I was informed by a friend it moves. When I installed the rear "air diffuser" piece I noticed there is a depression in the floor creating a tunnel straight into the rear bumper cover- straight up to the top of the license plate.
At the same time I hit my head on one of three bolt/studs welded into the floor of the trunk that seem to have no purpose.

My thought is that a piece that could attach by the bolts and cover this area all the way to the bumper (maybe even attached) would definitely solve the air catching issue and may even reduce drag?

Any thoughts and has anyone created a cover like that?
Thanks to all for all the info

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
OH CRAP! this is one of my fears! i spend a lot of time on the high way and i always see ppl w/ newer cars that have plastic bumpers that move w/ the wind and i hate it!!! ... and i always kinda wondered if mine did.. but i never asked anyone to check because i was afraid of the results lol... i too have the rear air diffuser.. i guess i'll have to get some1 to check mine out.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah- It was on my initial drive home after buying the car that I was informed it was blowing in the wind- been stewing over it and thought the diffuser would help brace it- now it moves as one piece!

Really want to figure out a cover for the bottom- but not that bodywork inclined.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'll get under the mango and check it out tomorrow.... still havent had a chance to get some1 to check mine to see if its moving... i'll be sure to post somethin when i do though
Appreciate it-
It's buggin me but unsure what to do-
and watch out for that vapor lock! lol

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hilarious

...At the same time I hit my head on one of three bolt/studs welded into the floor of the trunk that seem to have no purpose.
Glad I'm not the only victim of these. hehehehe

Hey check out some pics of the underside of newer Porche high end coupes and other supercars. They have some amazing full floor pans that provide great advantages - they ought to be good for some ideas.

I have not heard of anyone cleaning up the underside aerodynamicly, but I would say its got to be an area that could be improved.

Oh and you would likely stop the silly flapping bumper syndrome in the process. :)

I don't wanna know if mine does so I'll face forward and pretend it's fine. :lol:

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw the answer

I was on the forums the other day, someone had pictures of their Daytona with a black piece attached to the three bolts and the bumper.
Does anyone know what the part is called and if they make it anymore? Do the new daytona' s have it (the one I saw was 06.)
I want that part!:cool:

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A Solution

Okay- so it's been a while.
I finally got to see the black piece that they deleted from the 2007s resulting in the rear bumper becoming a wind catcher- and realized it was mostly flat.
for reference

I went out and bought some sheetmetal from the local hardware store and used a piece of cardboard to make a template.

I pushed the cardboard onto the 3 bolts sticking out of the floor of the trunk and trimmed the cardboard until I got the approximate shape- then traced it onto the sheetmetal leaving about an 1/2 inch gap extra.

I then drilled the holes, and began trimming and cutting and bending till I ended up with the right shape.
Outside facing view

I used the 1/2 inch extra to fold over in order to add some rigidity to the piece.
Inside facing View

I also left enough extra on the bottom to tuck between my rear bumper fascia and the rear accent piece I put on my car- tying it into the rear bumper fascia directly.

Tomorrow I need to shape the piece a bit- to curve it inwards.
I also need to find the right nuts for the bolts- two failed attempts so far.

I'll post more pics as I finish it up.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hmm, I likey. I assume this would also help with the trunk rubbing on the bumper issue! I may have to investigate when I get off shift.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the support-
not sure but what you said about the rubbing would follow logically as well.:grin:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was on the forums the other day, someone had pictures of their Daytona with a black piece attached to the three bolts and the bumper.
Does anyone know what the part is called and if they make it anymore? Do the new daytona' s have it (the one I saw was 06.)
I want that part!:cool:
I seen this also, There is a plate that goes under there but dodge cut back on costs. You may be able to go to your dealer and order it off a early 06.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I seen this also, There is a plate that goes under there but dodge cut back on costs. You may be able to go to your dealer and order it off a early 06.
I started down the road of ordering it- but have no idea what to call the piece- and the dealer I checked with didn't have a clue- so I gave up.
I also e-mailed cleveland pick a part and they never replied.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
pics of it on the car.

Also is this specific to 07's and not 06's
Will do- but its not on yet- have to get the right size nuts for the bolts-
LOL

And yes- the 06s should have it as far as I can tell- not sure when they dropped the part exactly

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.