Charger Forums banner

reality check

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  motorhead2 
#1 · (Edited)
So, Im a newb. this is my situation realization. As of right now , Im not gonna be able to run longtubes without throwing a code, correct? .I would like to get through emissions when my 2 year tag expires. I DO want to get a better set of heads and exhaust....Im gonna get some billy boat exhaust,firm on that , but what now ? wait till someone comes out with LTs that dont throw, or what other avenue of approach do I take?

#2 ·
mopars wont throw codes. or you could buy any longtubes and fix the code with the diablo (i think).

the longtubes dont ALWAYS throw codes. lots of people run kooks, slp, and dynatech, without codes, but i think theres at least 1 person with each system that got a code. except for mopar

#3 ·
this is on my srt8 charger....no mopar lontubes yet available..talked to a reputable shop say that Kooks is gonna throw and ill need a tune ( custom ?)Daiblo? somebody, anybody?please feel free to pm me if you dont wish to converse openly here...and feel free to talk to me like a four year old , if im missing something .

#4 ·
I could be wrong, but I think that it's the high flow cats that are throwing the codes, not the long tube headers themselves. I remember reading somewhere that the high flow cats are not OBD2 compatible and that's what's causing the codes. As for Diablo curing the code throwing, the only thing I remember hearing was that B&G was programming computers to not display the check engine light but that the code was still in the memory. That wont solve the emissions problem.

#6 ·
I guess that time will tell and patience is a virtue and all that.

#7 ·
#8 ·
ive got the kooks and dont have codes they redisigned their system to stop that problem.

#11 ·
I just got off the horn from the Tech support line at KOOKS. Guy I was talking to, owns srt8 charger with the headers....and I quote" You want the power yer gonna have to deal with the light." " the computer is so finicky that whenever we move anything ,we still get codes" ." I have the Diablo tuner and it does increase performance,but, I still have the light" Also this , I find this very telling." the Diablo ,I was told ,was going to address this code , but doesnt and there are to be future downloads to address this problem...." "we have been waiting a year and a half for this and soo...." HE sounded bummed out.......... SO its a waiting game if you dont want to drive around with a fricken light on all the time.

Its all cool though. Im in for the long haul.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.