Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ladies and Gents,

Whats your real life MPG on the 3.5L. Right now I have a Neon R/T that gets 32 average and I was curious before I made the change.

-Matt

·
Registered
62 Posts
lg68jcu said:
Hello Ladies and Gents,

Whats your real life MPG on the 3.5L. Right now I have a Neon R/T that gets 32 average and I was curious before I made the change.

-Matt
I have the SXT and I am getting sticker MPG just about. It is not all that great. But then again, for a v6 she moves and I let her all the time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have had my SXT since May 28 and have put close to 6,500 miles on her (mostly highway). I have ranged from 24-26 MPG with the 26 MPG on a trip that was 90% highway miles. So, it is very close to the MPG listed on the sticker. I could probably get a little more MPG but at 80 MPH the 3.5 runs at 2450 RPM which is a great sweet spot for the vehicle on the highway :headbang:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I drive on average 70% hiway and 30% city and I average about 25 MPG I try to stay around 2000rpm (68-70 mph) but it's hard sometimes. The Wisconsin cop-a-mile helps out though... :sad:

·
Registered
322 Posts
- Right now, I am getting about 21 mpg - I did get 23 mpg the first 2 week I had it, but that all long drives on back roads, without many stop lights.

Brian T.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I get around 22 - 25mpg with my SXT. I drive the NJ Turnpike (lots of acceleration/deceleration there) and local roads. Also, I like to gun it when I get onto the roads :) That engine just sounds too good.

However on my road trip to Syracuse I got close to 30mpg and that was cruising speeds the whole way.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got 30mpg out of my first tank of gas in the car. With highway only driving. I'm hoping that with a few more km on the car the mileage will improve slightly. Then maybe a CAI and exhaust will free up an extra mpg or two, or three!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
CHARGERvonMERKUR said:
Then maybe a CAI and exhaust will free up an extra mpg or two, or three!
Since I got my Zoomers cat back installed 3 weeks ago, my gas mileage has gotten worse..........then again, I can't seem to keep my foot off the pedal either! (LOL) :shifty: :shifty: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
76 Posts
We are up to 12,800 miles since May 28 and are ranging between 24.5-26 MPG with 90% highway miles. I, like Spoonerock, have a hard time with right foot pressure control....waiting for the Mopar faux dual CAT-BACKS to see if they improve or worsen my condition :whistle:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
DoctorNo said:
We are up to 12,800 miles since May 28 and are ranging between 24.5-26 MPG with 90% highway miles. I, like Spoonerock, have a hard time with right foot pressure control....waiting for the Mopar faux dual CAT-BACKS to see if they improve or worsen my condition :whistle:

Your up to 12,800 miles????????????

I got mine on June 6th and I am almost 4,000 mile behind you. Jeez...I better hop in the car and start catching up! :wink:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just drove 800 miles on my 2 day old Charger SXT. On two tanks of gas I averaged 24.5 mpg. This was all highway, cruise set at 85 mph. There were some good hills in Northern Michigan and I didn't baby it. So I am pretty happy with that number.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Code:
We are up to 12,800 miles since May 28 and are ranging between 24.5-26 MPG with 90% highway miles. I, like Spoonerock, have a hard time with right foot pressure control....waiting for the Mopar faux dual CAT-BACKS to see if they improve or worsen my condition
Man...I am up to 5500 and I've had my SXT since the end of August! I hate putting that many miles on...but then again I do love driving it!!!! :whistle:

·
Registered
76 Posts
My office is about 78 miles from my home. So, you're looking at over 40,000 per year just commuting. BUT, I carpool with one other person which shaves 450 off every other week (she lives closer to the office than I).

Got the extended warranty so I can give you guys the "Ironman" report on how she holds up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I read the recent consumer reports which didn't give me much confidence in the EPA estimates and realized I should expect less. But it also brought another question to mind: I've got a full size mid'90s pontiac with a 3.6 engine and I currently get 29-31 MPG on the highway and 19-21 in the city which hits or exceeds sticker estimates. I see MPG estimates for various makes that have pretty wide ranges. Why doesn't the SE/SXT V6 get better mileage?

·
Registered
76 Posts
What exactly are the performance specifications of your 3.6? Does it deliver 1 HP per CI? How is it geared? What is the weight of the vehicle? What is your definition of "full size" or could you not be more specific with the actual model of your "gas miser"?

Unless this was a stealth troll post, you aren't going to get much of an answer if you do not provide a lot of details. My SXT gets 24.5-26 MPG with 90% highway miles. If I divide the low end 24.5 by .9, that translates to 27.22 MPG full highway miles which is .22 ABOVE my EPA guesstimated highway miles.

As for why it does not get more, see paragraph 1. :geek:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dr No,

Defintely not a troll post. Maybe I wrote it in a way that came across differently than what was meant. If so, I'm sorry. I'm just new car looking and the V6 Charger caught my eye and bubbled onto the short list.

When comparing and looking at the little things I would give up e.g. auto headlights on the SXT, one that came to mind was why does my 11 year old Bonneville V-6 (and some other new car V-6s I've looked at) do better MPG wise. I know it doesn't crank out as much HP, but just an innocent question. Good point the Charger is probably a heavier car. I'm not a deep into car guy and can't fully answer your questions about my engine gears/output. I'm just here to learn about the car. Sales rep at dealer I went to already said I knew more about the car than he did so the forum vists are paying off :happy:

Peace

·
Registered
67 Posts
My EPA (I'm from canada) says i should get 38MPG on the highway. So i'm hoping that with a few oil changes under the hood it will improve. Then again I also love letting that V6 sing it's song to the redline all the time!

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
CHARGERvonMERKUR said:
My EPA (I'm from canada) says i should get 38MPG on the highway. So i'm hoping that with a few oil changes under the hood it will improve. Then again I also love letting that V6 sing it's song to the redline all the time!
Um, no. No way.

Someone screwed up a unit conversion there.

Don't feel bad, even NASA does it from time to time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts