Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i was helpin my buddy change his oil in his 07 RT. We started the car back up and there was this annoying tap/rattle. We isolated it to this:

Not sure what it is never messed with one of these chargers before looks like a filter of some sort of recirc for the intake, had gas and oil smell to it. So looking at it theres a metal piece inside this white plug that goes into the canister on the intake. WTF is it, and the noise goes away when u remove the cap and comes back when u put it back on. So im sure is the metal piece inside the white cap.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
That's the PCV. If it's rattling that means it's still good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thats retarded why would something rattle if its working fine. Besides it is rattling obnoxiously loud you can here it inside the car. and it didnt do it before. Theres a crankcase vent tube right under the oil filler cap that goes to the intake hose/box. Dont see the purpose of this thing built into the intake and has a tube going from it back to the intake that doesnt make sense for a pcv

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yep thats the PCV. Usually you dont hear it when the engine cover is on and the hood is down. Hell - its probably the reason they use the engine cover in the first place.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks for the replies, ****ty design i guess?

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
I think I need a new one cuz I don't hear mine rattling anymore ...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same problem. I read in the service manual that it should be cleaned and then oil both seals and put it back in. I did this and haven't had a problem since. Not sure if it will work for you. I don't think this should be making noise. But, it could be a chitty design.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think we'll clean it up real good and oil the seals thats worth a shot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think I need a new one cuz I don't hear mine rattling anymore ...
That's strange, when I bought my car in January it was rattling and thought it was broken, so the I sent it to the dealership to fix and they replaced it and now it's dead quiet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is weird the little metal piece inside the cap looks like its only there to vibrate when air is flowing by, thus making it a tell. But it was never this loud before. Might just put a rubber plug in it or something to fix if cleaning it doesn't help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Amoya2003 how do you like the predator tuner, feel the difference?, i think this is gonna be my friends next mod. He uses 93 octane anyway so the diablo 93 oct tune should work real nice. Just looking for some opinions of the product as i have no experience with these cars really. C&l cai looks to be best flowing one that i found. Not sure on exhuast yet have to look into that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey Amoya2003 how do you like the predator tuner, feel the difference?, i think this is gonna be my friends next mod. He uses 93 octane anyway so the diablo 93 oct tune should work real nice. Just looking for some opinions of the product as i have no experience with these cars really. C&l cai looks to be best flowing one that i found. Not sure on exhuast yet have to look into that.
At first the differences were minimal with just the 91 tune, but then I fine tuned it and then I felt a huge difference. The main areas that helped for my car were resetting the TCM and raising the shift firmness. I raised my shift firmness three times and it shifts nicely in drive but is way too rough in autostick. I change the firmness to +2 if I want to use autostick but every car is different so test it out with your friend's car to see which is best. Everything in the engine so far is stock but it's definitely worth it just for helping with the pedal lag. Examine this site some more about which tune is best; some swear that the 91 oct. tune is better than the 93 oct tune and others vice versa, I don't get 93 octane where I live so I couldn't say.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool, yeah that his main gripe now is the laggy shifts/downshifts. Im sure the 93 oct tune would benefit more if u add more mods and timing. BUt 2 pts isnt a big diffrence anyways.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts