Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone rank the cat back systems in order of loudness? I know everybody has different tastes for sound quality, but loudness should be easier to list. I am compiling a list if the systems I am aware of, but I can't rate them in terms of loudness. Hey is my list:

Bassini
Billy Boat
Borla 140112
Borla 140125
Corsa
Dynomax
Flowmaster
Gibson
JBA
Magnaflow
SLP
Volant
Zoomers

·
Registered
928 Posts
you need more, what type of flowmasters/magnaflows, e cutouts =D

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
You forgot Mopar Performance cats.

·
Registered
50 Posts
And Cherry Bomb.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Can someone rank the cat back systems in order of loudness? I know everybody has different tastes for sound quality, but loudness should be easier to list. I am compiling a list if the systems I am aware of, but I can't rate them in terms of loudness. Hey is my list:
here is my opinion of what ive heard. if i didnt list it i havnt heard it yet.

Stock = 1
Striaght pipe or cutouts = 10
SLP LM1 = 9
SLP LM2 = 8
Flowmasters = 7
Zoomers = 6
Magnaflow = 5
Corsa = 4.5

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Mopar and Corsa = same thing.

Should be listed as "Corsa/Mopar" or something like that I guess.
I think Borla is the Mopar exhuast for the R/T's and Corsa is the Mopar for the SRT.

I agree with with Haburaboi, The SLP 1 is supposed to be the loudest...doesnt really sound great in my opinion, more like a truck than a muscle car.

Somewhere there are sound clips with most of these. The clips dont do real life justice but give an you an idea

·
Registered
928 Posts
JBA's are also decently loud

and ill tell you about the volant after saturday. my suspicion is that it will be very zoomerish

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I would really love to see a list that is somewhat accurate. its impossible to tell with sound clips which system is louder than the other so if someone has heard all of these at a meet and greet or somethin then please share.

the only one i've actually heard and ridden in is the borla 140125. i was planning on buying the system so i found a dealer w/ a charger that had one and went on a test drive. it actually wasn't as loud as i thought it would be, but it had a good tone. i would really like to know where the bassani and cherry bomb systems fit in the list

·
Registered
7 Posts
I heard the Corsa at the SRT experience, not much louder than stock. Magnaflow is better but not throaty enough for me. I heard the Zoomers on the web site and bought them asap. I'm totally satisfied with them. Most times I don't even have the radio on I enjoy them so much. Good Luck.....

·
Registered
928 Posts
The problem is your not asking a question that really has a good answer.

YES some of these systems are just loud or louder than others, thats partially what they were built for. But thats not the whole question, each has a different sound.

i dont think anyone has held a decibel meter by all these exhausts and can rank them precisely for you, and nor should they. And choosing an exhaust based on sheer decibel level is dumb, just do cutouts if all you want to make is noise.

each of these systems has its own flavor, you gotta choose what you like. go to lxsoundclips.com it has LOTS of the systems and many videos showing them in all states, idle, rev, running, load etc.

essentially you are asking which coke brand tastes the most like coke? is it coke, diet coke, cherry coke, vanilla coke.....etc. you cant answer that (and its personal preference with no baseline ex. a 5 is 95db and a 10 is 200db), they are all coke they just each have a different flavor, some have more sugar some have less. Just like exhausts more surgar/loud does not = good/tasty. if you just want the most noise you can make, e cutouts.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
there may not be a science to it, but everyone knows for example that the borla 112's are quiet and the slp lm1's are loud. we're just wondering where the others fit in, or what side of the spectrum they are on.

·
Registered
928 Posts
true, and I wont argue that, but because everyone has a personal preference it will be quite subjective.

also some are loud at WOT and quiet at idle so take that for what its worth too.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually I am looking for a fairly quiet system. Loud would be easy, like you said. I really like the sound of the stock Daytona, but it is a little quiet for me. I know from my research that the systems that only have a muffler OR resonator, but not both, are off my list. The Borla 112 looks good, except I would prefer 2.5" pipes. There are so many to choose from(good for us), that I became a little overwhelmed and asked for some sort of rundown. Thanks.

BTW: I have a decibel meter, so if there are enough different exhaust systems in the Chicago area, and willing participants, I would be happy to document them all.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Actually I am looking for a fairly quiet system. Loud would be easy, like you said. I really like the sound of the stock Daytona, but it is a little quiet for me. I know from my research that the systems that only have a muffler OR resonator, but not both, are off my list. The Borla 112 looks good, except I would prefer 2.5" pipes. There are so many to choose from(good for us), that I became a little overwhelmed and asked for some sort of rundown. Thanks.

BTW: I have a decibel meter, so if there are enough different exhaust systems in the Chicago area, and willing participants, I would be happy to document them all.
dude that would be awesome if we could actually get the decibel level of every exhaust. what do the decibel meters cost? i'd volunteer to buy one and mail it to various forum members that have the different cat backs

·
Registered
928 Posts
there wont be a list, at least not one that is worth a damn.

not only would it not be scientific AND it would be subjective. listen to the sound clips decide for your self. if you want loud look to the SLP's, other than that its more about TONE than sound/volume.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JBA's are also decently loud

and ill tell you about the volant after saturday. my suspicion is that it will be very zoomerish
I just found the Volant system under $500 online. Have you heard it yet? Anybody heard a Volant in person?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.