Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2014 White Dodge Charger RT(Straight Pipe System,Res Delete) (Dyno/Tune,) (KN CAI) 20' HCat Replica)
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some questions for you guys and possibly gals to answer! The ones in the title plus another one and two I’m just randomly thinking up. How much mileage did you put on said vehicle before you had a problem of some kind?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well.... It wasn't exactly a Dodge.... But... Back in 1976, I bought a '73 Cuda. Swapped the 318 with a 360. In 2010, I picked up a new Challenger. Last year, I finally got the Charger Pursuit. First mod to the Charger is the leather interior out of a 2015 Chrysler 300 S.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 White Dodge Charger RT(Straight Pipe System,Res Delete) (Dyno/Tune,) (KN CAI) 20' HCat Replica)
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep these replies coming. I'm getting some pretty cool ones from you guys

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
My first Dodge was a 1968 Dart with aftermarket A/C. There wasn't jack squat you could do to mod it except run into a brick wall and hope for an insurance settlement so you could buy something better. I will say, the slant 6 was indestructible.

My second was a used 1974 Plymouth Furry 440 N95. It was tough as nails. The preferred spark plugs were RJ87P but were hard for me to source so I used an alternative plug. But the engine would eat them up like candy and sometimes had to replace them every 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,111 Posts
Its Tech a dodge/Chrsyler/Eagle

But First car ever was a 1993 Eagle Vision ESi with 108K miles on it. I forget the first mod honestly because in the past 16 years I have done SO much. 300M PHP Brakes, Eibach Springs, 1 of 1 Rear thicker swaybar, poly bushings everywhere (I was second test mule for cradle mounts and 1st test mule for poly sway bar bushings) 300M Seats, 2G 42LE swap, ported intake, 58mm TB install, OTIS install and bunch more.

But, my favorite part of this story is she looks bit rough in the paint area, dents all over. But she rolled over 258K this year and resides now in the garage no matter what. The 2011 Charger Pursuit gets kicked out before she does. Been a damn reliable car and has gotten me everywhere I wanted or needed to be even if a bit slowly with 150hp 3.3 V6. I intend to keep her, freshen up her body and just drive her til I no longer can.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Well, it was not a dodge, but a Plymouth, a 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door in spice gold metalic with the black vinyl roof. 318 and torqueflite 3 speed auto.. First mod, being 1966, Fuzzy Dice!!!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Random questions... What was your first Dodge vehicle? What was the first mod you’ve put on it?
Here are some questions for you guys and possibly gals to answer! The ones in the title plus another one and two I’m just randomly thinking up. How much mileage did you put on said vehicle before you had a problem of some kind?
1974 Dodge Dart Sport (a Dodge Duster, or what the Demon became after 2yrs because bible belters hated the name lol). Came with a 318 2bbl. First thing I did was change the tires; damn thing still had bias plies lol. First perf mod was swapping an intake and 4bbl on. Slightly overkill for a stock 318, but it was only a 600cfm and both were cheapo used (I was 17-18, not a whole lot of money there).

First and only problem I had after eight months was the fact that I could only afford to replace two of my four bald tires and my stupid ass uncle told me to replace the fronts (which was WRONG, so wrong). Black ice + curve + no tread = crash and totaled.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My first MoPar was in 1971...a 2 yr old 69 Plymouth Cuda fastback ..340 CID ....19K mi and it was commuter car for 100 mi/day...Fell in love with the 340, even with the dummy hood scoops... and the Hurst factory 4 spd...was rugged...Hatchback body was handy too....First mod...a special under carb gasket with screens for the 4 bbl...The mod was to better atomize the fuel for better MPG..or so claimed the popular J.C. Whitney catalog....Why need the slight MPG increase ?...Well 1973 oil embargo came...and less waiting in long lines for a few dollars of gas...made sense...Not sure if it did anything thou.....If you've read this far...maybe you too remember that mod...LOL....and the gas lines...

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Oh so many over the last 50 years: 1st was a 1962 Plymouth Valiant with 170 cube slant six, then a 1972 Duster 340 (wicked fun), 1960 Dodge Dart Phoenix (huge fins- smooth highway cruiser), 73 Duster with 318, 1955 Custom Royal Lancer, 1969 Fury (the "BEAST" an ex cop car with a 440), a 69 Super Bee 383 (pretty fancy for a 69), 73 Satellite with a 400, a 1936 Plymouth with a 55 Chrysler 331 hemi asa weekend "fun" car. I then had 15 years with an 85 VW GTI, followed by several more Mopars: 1995 Neon, 2001 Chrysler 300M, 2002 Neon (a good car, but destroyed in a freak hailstorm in Phoenix), wife's 2001 Neon, then a 2004 PT Cruiser that we traded in on a 2008 PT Cruiser (that we still have). My next weekend fun car, a 1968 Chrysler Newport convertible with a 512 CI stroker motor - it had crazy torque but only a three speed auto (sold in 2017). I then started on my Charger phase/craze: a 2013 Charger SE (rear ended and totaled), my current white 2016 Charger SXT Plus and my wife's purple 2016 Charger Rallye.

Out of all of them we only had problems with three: the 1955 Custom Royal Lancer with 270 CI "Super Red Ram" hemi broke the crank in two pieces at the number 7-8 rod journal. I later found out it was very common in Dodges first generation 1950's small hemi (but not in Chrysler or DeSoto) due to them not having a vibration damper crank pulley which created all kinds of harmonic vibrations. I found another crank in a junkyard and fixed it then sold it before it happened again!

The 1995 Neon was "Lapis Blue", a very nice color if the paint would have adhered to the body (it peeled off off in big flakes). Dodge repainted only the panels with peeling paint, and a year later the other panels started peeling too. I sold it rather than fighting with them about a second paint job.

My wife's pretty purple (Cranberry) 2004 PT Cruiser was one of the ones with the thrust bearing issue that required a whole new crank to be installed. Poor machining at the factory on the thrust bearing surface of the crank caused them to eat the bearing up in 30-40K, and the crank would slop back and forth far enough to knock the front seal out and cause a huge oil leak..we just traded it in on the 2008 PT that we still have for hauling stuff around--you would be surprised how much stuff you can pack into one of those things when the seats are removed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm Young and not cool like you guys having these super cool old cars :( I'm only 20 so my first dodge vehicle is what I currently have now 2018 Dodge Charger Daytona 5.7 now don't bash on me because it's not a 392 :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 19 Scat Pack is my first FCA/Dodge product. Bone stock other than tinted windows. No plans to mod it, just enjoy it as is. Will eventually be a daily driver.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I'm Young and not cool like you guys having these super cool old cars :( I'm only 20 so my first dodge vehicle is what I currently have now 2018 Dodge Charger Daytona 5.7 now don't bash on me because it's not a 392 :(

20 and driving a 2 year old model Hemi is not shabby. You'll look back on it and as a super cool old car one day when you're old. Savor youth while you have it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mine was a 73 'cuda. Don't remember the first mod to it but it was fun while it lasted

Reactions: Greg55_99

·
Registered
211 Posts
Did your front fenders rust out like mine did?

Greg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just think though. 40 years from now, you'll be on a website telling some young guy about your 2018 Hemi Daytona. Of course, if you still have it, you probably won't be able to get parts for it. :-(

Greg

·
Registered
189 Posts
Did your front fenders rust out like mine did?

Greg
I cannot say what it was like before I bought it. I bought it looking like that in 1983 for $650. It had some rust around the rear wheels but that was it

1 - 20 of 29 Posts