Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Click here to skip to the video.

I decided to go down to E-town with a few pals this evening. Much to my amazement, the track was packed despite temperatures in the low to mid 40's. Gee, what else is new?

First run I did a small burnout and decided I was gonna play it safe by rolling into the throttle at 1500 RPMs. It completely bogged and I was somewhat surprised by the 1.892 60ft on the board. I caught a glimpse of the 12.436 @ 109.40 as I passed the finish line and was even more surprised. This car feels so much slower than it actually is. I can literally run this thing down the 1320 with my pinky finger and my eyes closed.

On the second run I did another small burnout and decided I was gonna go for broke: I powerbraked it to 2 grand and slammed the throttle. It STILL bogged! Argh! I looked at the board ahead and saw the 1.849. I thought for sure this was my 12.3x, but it wasn't to be: it was only a 12.420 @ 109.23. Oh well, there's always next time.

I sorta knew my trap speed would suffer a little from the much shorter drag radials. Just a hunch I had based on some street driving/logging. I went from 111-113 traps to ~109 traps with the shorter tires. But the trap speed can often be misleading; such is the case here. The reason I say that is because even with the lower trap, my car was still quicker from the 1000' to the 1320' than it was when it trapped 113.47.

This car *really* needs a converter. Right now there's no snap at all out of the hole; it just falls flat on its face. I think the converter will be worth ~1 tenth in the 60ft and ~2 tenths in the 1/4. I'm debating right now which converter to go with: the Pro Torque 2800 or the Precision 3200. Decisions, decisions. Next time out I also plan on doing a little bit of tuning. I analyzed the logs from my runs and see a few places where I can improve on the tune, mostly out of the hole (lowest RPM range).

The car weighed 4418 with me in it. That included a 1/4 tank of gas and a bunch of misc. crap and tools. My only mods are the Predator (93 octane canned tune with 3% fuel added in the two upper RPM ranges and the BFG Drag Radials.

Here's the video: Magnum SRT-8 running 12.4's @ 109

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Nice work however I'm still depending on you to hit the 11's for us!!!!

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
388 Posts
The 2800 stall would be a big improvement, but if you think your half shafts can take the strain, go with the 3200.
I like the stall that I have now, but if I could do it over again I would have gone bigger.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Congrats

Nice runs. I was going to head there and meet my buddy with his GTI but there was too much traffic. Well theres always next time.

I was waiting for you and the guys to stop by the usuall place, but you didnt show up. :(

About the converter, if your taking the risk of getting IIRC the 2800 stall, just go balls to the wall and get the 3200 stall. I'm not wishing anything bad for you, but your going to break the half shaft. Hell, even my buddy with the GTI, I heard his bro broke something and he doesnt beat the car at all.

Good luck.

·
Banned
3,769 Posts
Good runs!!! I had one of the first '93 Z-28s in my area back then. Car ran 14.0 @ 100 stock. People were amazed at how fast it was. Now, we have 4300lb family cars running mid 12s with some bolt-ons. Gotta love it!!! :)

Tom

TBYRNE MOTORSPORTS LLC
ORDER LINE - 1-877-4-TBYRNE (1-877-482-9763)
E-MAIL - [email protected]

CHECK OUR WEBSITE FOR OUR EVERYDAY LOW PRICE POLICY!

·
Registered
37 Posts
My $.02

I was doing some thinking from a technical piont of view about the torque converter. Since you effectively shortened your rear differential gearing via the tire size change, by using a 3200 stall converter you should be as safe as someone running stock gearing and tire size with a 2800 stall converter.

Your shorter gearing would theoretically give you less driveline shock than if you would be running stock gearing, hence less of a chance of breaking the weakest link in the driveline.

Just my $.02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts