Charger Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 08 RT with a REN and connector for an iPod in the glove box but no sub-woofer. I just totaled that car.

I found a 08 SRT with only 6K miles. The dealer said the sub-woofer had some scratches but worked well. When I got the car (sent across the country), it came with a RER (Nav, sub-woofer but no iPod hook up). When I turned on the radio, everything on the screen lights up and appears to be working. Radio station displays, song on the radio station displays, everything....except sound. Nothing. Absolutely quiet with only my thoughts, which is bad. I checked all the fuses and they seem to be OK. I called the dealer and they said they told me the radio was scratchy and would need to be replaced (which is not the same as saying the sub-woofer works but is scratchy). I swapped it out with my old radio and got sound, but it was very scratchy/crackly. I am afraid to leave it in for fear of frying something.

Any ideas? I looked on google and it looked like others have had similar issues but nobody posted any good fixes. Is it wiring? Antenna? a short?

My other delema is that the REN (old radio without nav, which I don't need) does not have a plug in spot for the sub-woofer. Nor does the glove box have the plug for the wire for the iPod.

Any ideas/solutions out there???

I would consider after market, but I have never seen anything that looked good in the dash where the factory radio was, so I would like a "fix."

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I had a 08 RT with a REN and connector for an iPod in the glove box but no sub-woofer. I just totaled that car.

I found a 08 SRT with only 6K miles. The dealer said the sub-woofer had some scratches but worked well. When I got the car (sent across the country), it came with a RER (Nav, sub-woofer but no iPod hook up).
Forgive me my n00b-ness, but what kind of port is the iPod hook-up? Not the USB or 2.5mm AUX jack I am assuming (yours has both of those, right?)...

When I turned on the radio, everything on the screen lights up and appears to be working. Radio station displays, song on the radio station displays, everything....except sound. Nothing. Absolutely quiet with only my thoughts, which is bad. I checked all the fuses and they seem to be OK. I called the dealer and they said they told me the radio was scratchy and would need to be replaced (which is not the same as saying the sub-woofer works but is scratchy). I swapped it out with my old radio and got sound, but it was very scratchy/crackly. I am afraid to leave it in for fear of frying something.
Does your SRT have the factory amplifier as part of the audio sound system? It sounds like the problem, whatever it is, likely has to do with the amp somehow. Maybe the previous owner had an aftermarket system in there and removed it when he sold it, and while removing all the aftermarket equipment, he didn't get things plugged back together correctly.

Pull the kick panel below your steering wheel and check for the factory amp. If you find one, trace the wires going into it from the head-unit and make sure all is good. Also trace the wires coming out of it as far as you can to make sure they are good as well.

Any ideas? I looked on google and it looked like others have had similar issues but nobody posted any good fixes. Is it wiring? Antenna? a short?
If the behavior persists regardless of sound source (AM/FM, CD, Aux all have same problem), I would rule out the antenna. It could be wiring (see previous paragragh), but a short may not be as likely since it sounds like it is affecting all the speakers. I would expect a short to affect the speakers on who's channel it lies, but not all of the other speakers as well.

My other delema is that the REN (old radio without nav, which I don't need) does not have a plug in spot for the sub-woofer. Nor does the glove box have the plug for the wire for the iPod.

Any ideas/solutions out there???
Are you referring to a factory subwoofer or an aftermarket sub+amp?

A factory sub would be driven off a factory amplifier, but none of the factory head-units would have RCA outputs for an aftermarket amp+sub if that's what you mean.

If it is an aftermarket amp+sub, and you are wondering where to plug in the RCAs from the sub's amp, that is where a LOC (Line Output Converter) or one of the PAC devices would come in. A LOC would take the incoming speaker wires from the factory amplifying source (amp or head-unit) and convert the sound into low-level RCA signals. That is where you would plug in the aftermarket amp+sub.

However, that setup (with a LOC to feed an aftermarket amp+sub) would require inline resistors to be used. Otherwise the head-unit will think the presence of the LOC is actually shorted speaker wires and turn off all sound signals to any speakers running through those wires that LOC converts to RCAs. That sounds strangely like what you were experiencing, but you didn't mention a LOC anywhere in the car, so I assume you don't have one (or is it just hidden?).

It's hard to troubleshoot over the internet, but you're probably going to have to break down and start tracing all the stereo's wires from start to finish to find the culprit. It won't be fun, but I think that might be the only way to proceed here. :frown2:

I would consider after market, but I have never seen anything that looked good in the dash where the factory radio was, so I would like a "fix."
Me neither, that's why I kept my factory head unit when I upgraded my system. I had to use an LC6i, 2 amplifiers, and a handful of inline resistors to get it working, but that's fine, I learned a lot in the process! :grin2:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts