Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I went to my local dealer to try to see what I need to put in a REC unit in my '07 to upgrade from my stock deck. He mentioned something about everyone's radio being "burned" with our VIN number in it and that if we tried to upgrade to NAV or whatever and we got a used one (from another forum member or ebay or whatever) that it wouldn't work. Has anybody heard about this? I think he just doesn't know what he's talking about because he had no idea what I was asking about. He doesn't think it's possible to upgrade (even though almost everyone on this forum has done it - lol) and when I asked him why Mopar sells brand new units and advertises it in the catalogue as something that can be done he had no response whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Hi,

I went to my local dealer to try to see what I need to put in a REC unit in my '07 to upgrade from my stock deck. He mentioned something about everyone's radio being "burned" with our VIN number in it and that if we tried to upgrade to NAV or whatever and we got a used one (from another forum member or ebay or whatever) that it wouldn't work. Has anybody heard about this? I think he just doesn't know what he's talking about because he had no idea what I was asking about. He doesn't think it's possible to upgrade (even though almost everyone on this forum has done it - lol) and when I asked him why Mopar sells brand new units and advertises it in the catalogue as something that can be done he had no response whatsoever.
There we go, I highlighted your problem for ya:) Ignore him. He wants to sell a new radio in a new car:)

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Actually he does know exactly what he's talking about.
you wont be able to just swap a unit from another car and thats common knowledge.
Your "radio" isnt a radio and cars havent had radios in about 4 years. They have acm's (audio control modules).
If you replace your radio you have two options.
a/ get one from the dealer, they will take the info from your old one and burn it into your new one
b/ get one aftermarket and by a 40 dollar module bypass, and an additional module to make your steering control switches if you have them. If you dont buy this module bypass you will set a code in the other 30 modules for lost communication to the acm.

Once again people's assumption of others stupidity has been debunked and turned around

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
its not a big deal to do. just make sure you have old and new units and then go in and have them do a pmi (programmable module installation)

If you get aftermarket you'll just buy a few more parts.

These are modules because they communicate with so many parts of the vehicle.

Your acm must communicate with
sdars (satelitte digital audio reciever) for audio and gps signals
pcm (powertrain controller) for speed signals
rear view mirror (forgot the specific name of this module) for muting during bluetooth events
amp ( on units with amplifiers)
lcm (lighting control module) for inputs from the dimmer switch
fcm (front control module) for multiple things

·
Registered
226 Posts
I put an REC nav unit in my 06 and didnt have any problems what so ever, just plug n play. Had it for almost 3 years now,and only dealers have serviced my car.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Well i had no problems adding an aftermaket HU in my charger, nor any major issues with the VIN in transferring my old RAR unit to my sisters Caliber. only thing i had to do with the caliber when swapping radios was to enter the radios security code and voila it worked!

The security number can be given to you by the dealer if they trust you and know the unit is yours.. also most of the time the number is given to the purchaser of the car (atleast here its the case).

all you need when contacting the dealer is the serial number behind the radio

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very good information. Thanks. Once I get everything installed I'll see what happens. Is it a seperate module the dealer attaches to the radio or is it just a software thing?

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Wicked, are you crossing over Ford info again? And lets be clear. Even if you need to get some function turned on in the new radio, that is NOT the same as having the VIN "burned into the radio".

everyone's radio being "burned" with our VIN number in it and that if we tried to upgrade to NAV or whatever and we got a used one (from another forum member or ebay or whatever) that it wouldn't work.
Those statements are bull, and thats a fact. While a radio might need an option turned on, thats just not what this dealership was saying. I'll dig more into the module thing later.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
have them do a pmi (programmable module installation)

These are modules because they communicate with so many parts of the vehicle.

Your acm must communicate with
sdars (satelitte digital audio reciever) for audio and gps signals
pcm (powertrain controller) for speed signals
rear view mirror (forgot the specific name of this module) for muting during bluetooth events
amp ( on units with amplifiers)
lcm (lighting control module) for inputs from the dimmer switch
fcm (front control module) for multiple things
PMI = Ford specific procedure
http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/quickref/pmiguide.pdf

ACM = Ford specific module

SDARS = Not ford specific, but only used in add-on satellite radio installs, factory sat radio cars dont have these

PCM= We have these, but the NAV doesnt get a speed signal that I'm aware of.

Bluetooth = Not sure of this interface, might actually need to be turned on.

As for the rest, we have similar boxes, but again, I'm pretty sure that these things just discover each toehr over the CANbus. I'll do more digging later, but wicked, my point, which we continually go over, is that these are NOT Fords, and assuming that they operate the same as Fords is as big an assumption as others assuming dealer stupidity. Please, take a few and look to see if perhaps our vehicles do operate differently than the Fords you work on.

I dont assume dealer stupidity, when I call it, I know when I do, no assumption required.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
i think the only time you might have and issue is if you try putting a new radio in if you have steering wheel buttons since those require alot more components to work and thus more chance that it could be locked to a vin/Computer

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
the radio is still a module. i didnt take 10 minutes to look up the abreviation for it i just went off the ford name as its common. No the vin isnt burned in. Never said it was. But the module is specific to the vehicle and when installing a new one it needs to be installed with star scan. its not just plug and play. yes it will still power up and work but it will not communicate on the can network as it has no idea where it is til its uploaded.
And yes pmi is a ford term , who cares. Its the point i was trying to get across, its the same with chrysler just different terminology. If you dont believe its a module then how on earth does it show dtc's on the main screen of star scan? dtc's are set by radios they are set by modules for circuit failures.
I'm sick and tired of trying to help people just for someone to come along and piss and complain about it all the time. Maybe we should make a new rule that every time someone answers someone they have to prove it by posting from the service manual otherwise we'll just call them stupid for taking time out of their day to help others. what a &&&&&777777 waste

proof the antenna is a module

MODULE-ANTENNA
DESCRIPTION
The antenna module is an electronic circuit component designed to capture and enhance RF (Radio Frequency)
signals in both the AM and FM broadcast bands. The antenna module is mounted to the right C-pillar (sedan) or
rear liftgate (wagon). The module is grounded through the mounting bracket and fastener. The module has a two
wire electrical connector that connects to the integral radio antenna and EBL grid, located on the rear window. There
is also an electrical connector for battery voltage and a coax cable connector.
OPERATION
The antenna module receives both AM and FM radio signals supplied by the rear window integral radio antenna and
selectively amplifies them. The amplified signal is then sent through the body length coax cable to the radio input.

proof there is a vehicle entertainment module
U0196-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH
VEHICLE ENTERTAINMENT CONTROL
MODULE. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .8M-153

proof satelitte is a module
U0195-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH
SDARS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .8T-53

U0184-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH
RADIO. How do you lose communication with something that s not a module????? hmmmmmm :mad:

theres also a traffic information reciever module, front control module, tcm , and pcm and several others this "fake arse module" communicates with.

In defense of the dealer, no its not "burned into the module" but why should he sit there and describe the entire communications network to the customer? Its not the customers business. he was being simplistic as to not describe the entire module network interface to someone who doesnt care. I would have told him something even simplier most likely had i been in the place. People need to quit taking things so literal.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Actually he does know exactly what he's talking about.
you wont be able to just swap a unit from another car and thats common knowledge.
Your "radio" isnt a radio and cars havent had radios in about 4 years. They have acm's (audio control modules).
If you replace your radio you have two options.
a/ get one from the dealer, they will take the info from your old one and burn it into your new one
b/ get one aftermarket and by a 40 dollar module bypass, and an additional module to make your steering control switches if you have them. If you dont buy this module bypass you will set a code in the other 30 modules for lost communication to the acm.

Once again people's assumption of others stupidity has been debunked and turned around

the radio is still a module. i didnt take 10 minutes to look up the abreviation for it i just went off the ford name as its common. No the vin isnt burned in. Never said it was. But the module is specific to the vehicle and when installing a new one it needs to be installed with star scan. its not just plug and play. yes it will still power up and work but it will not communicate on the can network as it has no idea where it is til its uploaded.
And yes pmi is a ford term , who cares. Its the point i was trying to get across, its the same with chrysler just different terminology. If you dont believe its a module then how on earth does it show dtc's on the main screen of star scan? dtc's are set by radios they are set by modules for circuit failures.

The radio is a radio. Also reports on teh bus as a module, but without the bus, it still works as a radio.

You DID say that it has a VIN, when you said that the dealer knew exactly what he was talking about. And the dealer said the VIN was burned in.

And no, its not the same, with different names. The Ford, you cannot get a radio to do anything at all without programming, the Dodge, you can. Different system.

And no, its not "specific to a vehicle". The vehicle needs to know that the box with a new capability is in there, but the radio itself knows nothing of this.

Sorry to call you out like this, but giving people Ford info as if the Dodge were the same doesnt help.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I do appreciate the info and apologize for causing stress for everyone. I just want my radio to work when I get it and put it in. I'll figure it out after that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts