Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a lot of research on the threads here about the "best" radar detectors and my question is, do you turn them off when you turn your car off and turn them on when you start the car or does it do it itself? I was thinking of getting a cheaper cobra just for the compass and the safety alert (to let me know when safety vehicles are close b/c my dumb @ss has the radio on or isn't paying as much attention as I should be. I don't speed much or drive fast so I don't necessarily need it for the police alert.

http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=448&id=1

That is the one I was considering. I am not planning on having it hardwired, just going to use the cig. lighter.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thats the one i just bought off ebay, got it for bout $85. It has a smart power feture that it iwll sense that the car isn't on and it will turn off in liek 15 min of not beeing used, but the cigarete lighter is on a swithced circut anyway so when you turn the car off it turn that outlet off anyway.ONly the one in teh console is a constant 12 V

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
My Bel's I've owned/own turn off/on with the car. I have them powered off the Cig lighter so it only has power when the car does. Now if one were to wire it in some where else, it would depend on the power source.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, so then technically, any radar detector that is plugged into the cig lighter will turn off/on when the car is turned off/on because it is a switched circuit like you said, correct? I would just need to make sure I purchased a detector with a settings saver, right?

·
Registered
285 Posts
they all save the setting like that, it dosen't matter if they get turned off un-plugged or not.

·
Registered
285 Posts
yea i like it. My only issue so far was the loudness. It dosen't get very loud, atleast not compared to my old one. BUt i think that maybe the unit itself beeing defective maybe. Cuz if i put in 10 its is ok but if i turn it down to like 7 on the dial it dosen't even make sound. BUt i think i got a bad unit which i am emailing them obout as well. But either way besides that, the unit is awsome.

·
Registered
285 Posts
ll thanx, i mean it might be the way it is idunno, i just figured it would be louder is all but overall i love it

·
Registered
716 Posts
Has anyone wired into the overhead lights for a radar detector? It tends to be a little more stealthy when you don't expose the wires to thieves etc. I have wired into fuse boxes under the dash before but the Charger boxes are in the trunk and engine. Seems like a long way to wire for a radar detector.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts