Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install my hardware for my detector soon. I usually run the cable up through the headliner, down the A pillar, and plug an add-a-fuse to a switched fuse. This will turn the radar on/off with the ignition. I haven't had a chance to look yet, but is the fuse panel on the driver or passenger side, and what number fuse should I use? I can always try the manual, but thought i'd ask on here and save a bit of time.

2014 RT

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmm. Just looked at a manual I downloaded and it didn't mention an interior fuse block. Just in the engine bay, and in the trunk. Is that true? Not sure how/where i'm gonna hardwire my radar if that's the case.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Somewhere on here is a thread which mentioned a wire harness in the A-pillar that you can just directly tap into one way or another. Alternatively, you could also take down the overhead console and wire into the auto-dimming mirror if equipped.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Yeah I did some more reading and a lot of people are wire tapping into the a-pillar, cig lighter, or mirror. i do have an auto dimming mirror, so that might be easiest. I love the add-a-fuse since it's so easy and quick, but without an interior fuse block it doesn't do me much good. Thanks again!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to confirm, is there a fuse panel in the cabin of the car? I'm going to have my hardwire installed after work, and I just want to know for sure that tapping into a wire is the only option, or if there is a fuse block somewhere. I've never had a car that didn't have a fuse block on either the driver or passenger side in the dash. Please let me know!

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Just to confirm, is there a fuse panel in the cabin of the car? I'm going to have my hardwire installed after work, and I just want to know for sure that tapping into a wire is the only option, or if there is a fuse block somewhere. I've never had a car that didn't have a fuse block on either the driver or passenger side in the dash. Please let me know!
Earlier models didn't, it's in the trunk and engine compartment :)

on my '07, the cigarette lighter plug is switched to key, but can be set to always on too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! My bro ended up installing the hard wire somewhere under the glove box. He would have done it in the a pillar but had more room to coil up the extra wire under the glove box.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
516 Posts
I just tap mine into the courtesy lamp circuit in the overhead console. It makes for a short cable, and it doesn't involve taking half of the interior apart.

The courtesy lamp gets power as soon as you touch the door handle or unlock the car with the key fob button, and stays on for about ten minutes after you turn the car off.

This way, the startup warbles don't bother me as much because they're happening as I open the door, instead of every time I hit the start button.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about putting a fuse in line. These things are pretty safe nowadays.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts