Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been racking my brain trying to figure out if im going to go the s/c route yet or not ive already gotten permission from my wife to do it but am wandering if it will be worth it since no one has a chip out to change shifts. I was told by the very nice folks at gs motorsports that they send a computer mod with the kit but does this help the shifts? I am aldo scared cuz i dont feel like dropping 5 grand for a new motor, also cuz god knows i will be driving this thing like i stole it. also wandering about the motors ability to last putting out 415 to the wheels. i have been surfing lk forums for 2 hours reading everything about the mods done and no one can attest 100% that the motor can take the HP. if someone could just say i see no problem going 80k miles before a new motor then i would do it tomarrow. oh and the other mods will be headers and custom exhaust. anyonewho can help will get no tickets from me while driving in dumfries virginia....... lol...

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Cop, the "computer" from GS is strictly a fuel injector controller. Longevity is a guess at this point. Myself, I would try to hold off a year at least. If your car has any major malfunction, this gives it time to crop up and get it covered. And lets the first owners discover any potential issues.

I didnt do that with my SRT-4 upgrades, but those were tested by Mopar to meet the stock durability matrix. I say get your headers and exhaust, and sit tight.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i think thats what i am going to do. I have also found that jet performance has a chip out. people on lx forums say that with the intake, headers and exhaust is good for 50 hp at the wheels. I also heard that u should not do any power adders after ten thousand miles, u heard anything like that? i think im going to wait at least 6 months for the supercharger, that will allow some kid to go everywhere at 100 mph under boost and see how the pistons ,rods and trans hold up.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
copcharger said:
yes i think thats what i am going to do. I have also found that jet performance has a chip out. people on lx forums say that with the intake, headers and exhaust is good for 50 hp at the wheels. I also heard that u should not do any power adders after ten thousand miles, u heard anything like that? i think im going to wait at least 6 months for the supercharger, that will allow some kid to go everywhere at 100 mph under boost and see how the pistons ,rods and trans hold up.
Morning Cop! I put the Jet stage 2 module on my 03 Ram 1500 Hemi with CAI and Dynamax cat-back exhaust. It's good for more like 23 RWHP. Still, that's cheap and yes you can feel the added hp. Only thing is you have to use premium. With headers, at least 50 rwhp is feasible. Good luck. Be safe out there. Mike :happy:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good morning to u too the guys at gs said with their headers and hi flow cats (40 rwhp dynoed), cai 6rwhp, and cat back exhaust 12rwhp i was just under estamating the gains. i hope it gives a very noticable change just wander what the performance gains will be for the chip

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
One thing to be aware of with the chip is that its mode of operation is to alter the sensor inputs that the PCM sees, which leads it to make desicions based on innacurate information. This is not a reporgramming of the computer, it's a selective alteration of sensor inputs. It's conceiveable, although I admit unlikely, for this to lead to bad things.

I'm not sure about the no power adders after 10 thing. I keep adding more to the SRT-4 with no issues.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I absolutely felt a sotp difference. My brother, who's also a sheriff's deputy, realized the same results with his F150 5.4. IMHO, headers, cai and cat-back give THE best bang for the buck and harm the engine, or warranty for that matter, in no way. Mike :happy: :cool:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
copcharger,

The 5.7 hemi can take globs of power, over at DTW they are spraying 150 shot and dynoing 425 hp. there is a guy called hemi777 that has been running juice for a year an no problems, he just traded his truck for a new one. he ran 12.87 in a ram 1500 sc. The problems is the computer, Dc is holding it back. go to www.dodgetruckworld.com and you can find out info about the 5.7 hemi and the mods. As for the supercharger, they are still lkind of testing it see for yourself in the forums..... i would wait for another year before doing the blower, wait for all the kinks to be worked out. I have the first superchips for the hemi when it came out last year and I have had to send it back twice for some bugs.....

·
Registered
743 Posts
I am looking at getting intake and headers/exhaust before doing something like the SC...

My theory is w/headers,etc, when the ECU is finally hacked for tuning you will be able to tune the program to take advantage of the free-er flowing air giving decent results.

The Jet module may be practical until the ECU is worked. I just don't want to be the first to get this and test it... but after the headers are paid for... maybe?

Maybe some 300C and Magnum owners would have better information about the Headers/Intake and the Jet differences on LXforums.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
What i have heard from everyone is that JET module sucks, dont waste your money. wait for another company.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had the JET module on my Dakota R/T 5.9L....I had to add a cold air intake, thermostat, and run premium fuel per the module requirements....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts