Charger Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Took my car in for a oil changed and the mechanic noticed that both Rack and Pinon boots are leaking. They are saying that I need to replace the entire thing..sux its about 700 bucks plus labor they're saying. My only quarrel is there's only about 38K miles on it...seems a bit too early for it to go bad already. And of course I didn't get extended warranty....of course.

What you guys think?

Is it hard to change out by myself?...(I'm a computer engineering..not a mechanic :)...but happy to learn new skills)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
To me its very easy to change the rack in an LX car. You do need an alignment after you change the rack though. Yeah, if fluid is coming out of the boots then the rack is toast.

·
Vendor
10,376 Posts
Hey guys

Took my car in for a oil changed and the mechanic noticed that both Rack and Pinon boots are leaking. They are saying that I need to replace the entire thing..sux its about 700 bucks plus labor they're saying. My only quarrel is there's only about 38K miles on it...seems a bit too early for it to go bad already. And of course I didn't get extended warranty....of course.

What you guys think?

Is it hard to change out by myself?...(I'm a computer engineering..not a mechanic :)...but happy to learn new skills)

Thanks in advance!
Yes,

Unfortunately, when the fluid is in the bellows, it is rack time. When you get it fixed, give us a call, and we can put the QuantumBlue Steering System Lubricant Catalyst in it to condition the seals, lubricate the centering bushing and protect the spool valves from damage too.

I have been talking about this problem with these racks on this forum for about 16 months now.;)

http://www.bndautomotive.com/page/page/931789.htm

Very sorry to hear about this for you!

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
677 Posts
Sorry to hear your rack is bad I'm cheap I would buy good used one for about 125 bucks spend couple hours change it myself and spend sixty bucks and replace the outer tie rods and another 50 at the alignment shop throw in some Quantumblue and forget it! Then spend the other 500 on a day out with the family!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet!..thanks for the responses guys!

@370 HEMI - Sorry man...I didn't see your post..and I thought I did a pretty damn good job of searching b4 I posted.

So what causes this kinda thing? Doing 70 on bad roads in Jersey perhaps?...:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts