Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new here. Just got a 2008 srt8 and her color is
steel blue metallic. Anyway I'm wanting to give her some race stripes but I'm not sure what style or color. Does anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'd go with silver. White would contrast too much imo.

·
Super Moderator
11,524 Posts
Black would be my choice...I did the Hellcat style stripes in Carbon Fiber on my Jazz Blue SRT.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Whatever you do, DON'T DO DECALS.

If you want to do it right and add value to the car, HAVE THEM PAINTED ON. Then have them clear coated. They will last for years and years and you won't have to go read THIS THREAD once you've screwed up your matte stripes. As a matter of fact, maybe you SHOULD read that thread first so that you can get an idea as to what monster you can create by going with decals. OR, you can have them painted on and treat them like paint. A MUCH simpler maintenance choice and you won't experience all the headaches that guys have who maintain their stripes incorrectly. If you screw up some painted on stripes, they can be fixed. Decals have to be replaced. Here are some painted on stripes that someone screwed up by washing their car the wrong way.

Here are those stripes FIXED:

You CAN'T do that with decals. You are stuck with that damage.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I already know what you're reply is going to be, but a few things;

The cost to paint on stripes correctly is going to be an insane amount compared to having vinyl decals put on. You're going from several hundred dollars to easily in the thousands. If you're talking having the bumper, hood, roof skin, deck lid, spoiler, and rear bumper done, you're in for a real surprise for how much that it going to cost.

If the paint is flawless now and she plans on using it as a show car, then maybe that's an option, but I consider unrealistic.

Vinyl decals are removed fairly easily if she decides she wants to change the look.

Also, how many people have issues with vinyl decals that were done correctly? My car is 7 years old, sits outside and has the Super Bee decal package and they're all still fine. No edges peeling or anything. I do take car of the paint, but it shows normal wear and tear. I've removed years old vinyl decals before and pinstriping and if removed correctly the only thing needed was some polish, wax, and some sealant.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

The cost to paint on stripes correctly is going to be an insane amount compared to having vinyl decals put on. You're going from several hundred dollars to easily in the thousands. If you're talking having the bumper, hood, roof skin, deck lid, spoiler, and rear bumper done, you're in for a real surprise for how much that it going to cost.

If the paint is flawless now and she plans on using it as a show car, then maybe that's an option, but I consider unrealistic.

Vinyl decals are removed fairly easily if she decides she wants to change the look.

Also, how many people have issues with vinyl decals that were done correctly? My car is 7 years old, sits outside and has the Super Bee decal package and they're all still fine. No edges peeling or anything. I do take car of the paint, but it shows normal wear and tear. I've removed years old vinyl decals before and pinstriping and if removed correctly the only thing needed was some polish, wax, and some sealant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for the input. Lol black is what my husband said and I was leaning toward a bright silver. So it's funny that's what y'all recommend. And about the decal verses paint thing thanks for the info because we were leaning toward doing them with decals.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts

Surprised at the cost? Nope, my father did body work for 40+ years. The last car I saw him do was a Mach 1 Mustang. Do you know how many stripes that thing had? Painted the entire thing. But he, like I have a certain level of expertise when it comes to cars and we just won't cut corners. I'll admit, I am a lot more passionate about cars than your averagel Joe but then, that's why I drive what I drive. For me, doing what's right is just the only way I'll roll.

People said the same thing about me when I dropped a $5000 stroker-motor and a $3000 rear end inside this beast:

But those folks never got to ride with me when I was doing this:

It's all about who you are. I love life and my lifestyle reflects that. :)

"Easily" depends on when you decide to remove them. A year or two later, maybe. Ten years later? Not so much, especially if those stripes were baked on by plenty of sunshine.

Also, how many people have issues with vinyl decals that were done correctly?
You totally missed the point that I was making against vinyl stripes. No one was complaining about them being put on correctly, it's the IMPROPER maintenance that guys put their stripes through and then end up complaining about them not looking like new after awhile. Then they turn to a forum like this one looking for advice on how to fix their sorry looking stripes. Did you see that article I wrote??? I would not have wrote anything that long unless the amount of information that needed to be put out was necessary. You need to check out that write-up.

Depending on who buys your car if you decide to sell it, the condition of those stripes will say volumes about the level of maintenance that vehicle saw during your ownership. Guys like me notice that stuff and will pay top dollar for something worth top dollar. But you're talking about a guy who has this under his hood:

You could eat off that engine block and it has 149.000 miles on it because I drive the hell out of that thing. And when I say that I drive it, I mean DRIVE IT.

My car is 7 years old, sits outside and has the Super Bee decal package and they're all still fine. No edges peeling or anything. I do take car of the paint, but it shows normal wear and tear. I've removed years old vinyl decals before and pinstriping and if removed correctly the only thing needed was some polish, wax, and some sealant.
Everyone's situation is different but if you remove stripes from a sun-baked car, you will have ghosting. There's no way the paint UNDER the stripes is going to age in the same way the exposed paint will. That's just common sense, unless your car lives in a garage. Again, it depends on the eye. I see things that most car owners never notice. But then, I'm a car guy. It's in my blood. Been around then every since I was old enough to climb into my father's 56 Oldsmobile with the Rocket 88. Man... I wish they still made them like that.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the input. Lol black is what my husband said and I was leaning toward a bright silver. So it's funny that's what y'all recommend. And about the decal verses paint thing thanks for the info because we were leaning toward doing them with decals.
Just make sure that you read that write-up about the maintenance of them. Also, check with the installer who puts them on your car. He will give you even more information on maintaining them. They are easy to screw up and if you do a search through any car forum where the car has decals, you will find a ton of threads from guys looking to either fix theirs, or looking for how to maintain theirs. There's a lot more to vinyl decals than just the way they look.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Junk, the cost difference between painting full length stripes and vinyl stripes IS shocking unless you have had custom paint done or are in the industry.

You're a cool car guy and all, but your videos and "I live my life a quarter mile at a time" autobiography weren't necessary or helpful in this thread.
Now if we're in the Junkman sub-forum, go crazy. Show us pics of you eating a Big mac off the intake manifold on your Vette.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
That's your opinion and you're more than welcome to it. I would still rather paint my stripes on the car. They look better and they are a lot easier to maintain. The way I post is to covey a point. If that's not your cup of tea, you could always avoid reading it.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
I was getting used to not having oil threads anymore, now we have this? LMBO

I think black for the SRT would look the best. Carbon Fiber if available for your year IMO would really stand out. Use the decals/vinyl. Like said, when you get tired of them you can always change them over to another color or design. I had a Mustang once that I went crazy with every few months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts