Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better to purchase race fuel from a service station at the pump or from a place that pumps it by hand from a drum? I ask because the place with the drum states all the good stuff is lost to the atmosphere due to venting....any truth to this?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Is it better to purchase race fuel from a service station at the pump or from a place that pumps it by hand from a drum? I ask because the place with the drum states all the good stuff is lost to the atmosphere due to venting....any truth to this?
I'll wait to see what Brian has to say, but it sounds like a load of bollux to me! :confused:

If "venting" was a problem, all the gas at the gas stations would only be 85 oct. or lower!

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Well, only a little truth in that. (very little)

The "light ends" in race fuel can be lost to the atmosphere but the reality is that is isn't much unless it sits open for a long time.

Most tracks dispense from a large tank and have little issue losing anything from an above ground tank and certainly a service station with underground tanks will lose far less. Also, tanks don't vent to atmosphere unless they pressurize with increased temp. Underground tanks will never do that so nothing is ever lost. Barrels (and above ground tanks) have a greater risk of that happening because they sit in a far more variable temperature environment and can heat up forcing pressure release of the more volatile components of the fuel.

There is a reason gasoline is stored underground at service stations. The consistent cooler temp (55-60° F) means that the fuel remains stable for long periods of time and the volume pumped is more consistent because the density doesn't change much with a consistent temp.

The guy selling the barrel approach is just looking for a marketing angle but it is unsubstantiated by fundamental fuel science.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ddaddy! I was pretty skeptical myself and I am sure this angle is played all over the country. I thought I should post

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Thanks Ddaddy! I was pretty skeptical myself and I am sure this angle is played all over the country. I thought I should post
Glad to help! :beerchug:

Things like this are always worth posting so we can stem the tide of pseudo science urban legend from becoming quoted "fact" by those without the scientific base to know if it's real or not.

Marketing always seeks to bend reality by inundating people with marginally plausible information in an attempt to eventually change the perspective of the audience. Marketing doctrine is always to repeat the message until folks start to quote it as fact...even if it isn't.

Despite all attempts by marketing to state otherwise, the physical laws of chemistry and physics are NOT up for debate or individual interpretation. ;)

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Ddaddy is correct.

The drum guy is just trying to get a competitive edge on the individual 5 gallon guy.

Remember to that we do ACES IV-P which virtually negates the necessity of ever buying racing fuel all together! Just sayin!;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ddaddy is correct.

The drum guy is just trying to get a competitive edge on the individual 5 gallon guy.

Remember to that we do ACES IV-P which virtually negates the necessity of ever buying racing fuel all together! Just sayin!;)

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com
Brian,

I am very curious about ACES IV-P!!!

I now have some real fuel in my area...Two top tier stations one is a Shell and the other is Costco...What are your thoughts on using the IV-P?

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Brian,

I am very curious about ACES IV-P!!!

I now have some real fuel in my area...Two top tier stations one is a Shell and the other is Costco...What are your thoughts on using the IV-P?
I think you would not believe how it works with your engine once you have a compression ratio and tuning to use it.

I have a Camaro customer that used to use VP-105 and VP-110 that went to Shell 93 with ethanol and ACES IV-P and 2.5 oz per gallon.

He went from 6.49 in the quarter to 6.09 and used less fuel in the process. It blew his mind....especially once he leaned out the mixtures some what to get more power out of the fuel without burning up the engine!:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts