Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi group.

Im new to the Charger site, so if i make a mistake in a way, shape or form... forgive me.

What I am curious about is, with the 68-70 models.
What was the difference between the Reg Charger, the SE and the R/T?

Was the R/T just a suspension & motor package??

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Hi group.

Im new to the Charger site, so if i make a mistake in a way, shape or form... forgive me.

This is a modern Charger site so you are not going to find that information here. I am pretty sure you are right that the R/T was pretty much a drivetrain package. I believe the base engine in R/T form was the 383.

I could give you far more information on Roadrunners since I used to own one, but that isn't what you are looking for. You best bet is to find a classic MOPAR website.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hi group.

The R/T was suspension, bigger brakes ,plus stock engine was the 440.It had a rear stripe,Plus R/T badge on grille,and rear between the tailights.691/2,the 440 six pack came out,plus Hemi was option.

·
Vendor
10,364 Posts
Hi group.

The years were different but basically the regular Charger came with a 170 cid straight 6, a 225 cid Slant 6, a 318 cid V8, a 383 2 bbl v8, and a 383 4bbl dual exhaust in the regular Charger. The SE was a trim package that gave you leather front seats and a woodgrain dash insert, where the R/T gave you the 440 4bbl dual exhaust, and optional was the 426 Hemi. Now you could combine them so a car could have an R/T SE too.

The R/T gave you heavy duty suspension, heavy duty brakes, larger torsion bars, and the automatic or manual transmission on the floor. So yes, a suspension and motor package. The R/T stood for Road and Track and was thought to be able to drive it on the road, and then take it to the track.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040 :bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Good info on this link, just scroll down to the 68 & 69's
http://www.allpar.com/model/charger.html

A new special performance model the Charger R/T (Road and Track) has been added to the lineup. This new model is equipped with the high performance 440 cubic inch V-S1 heavy duty suspension and brakes, dual exhausts and wide tread tires. Wrap around "bumble bee" stripes accent the R/T's sporty flavor. The stripes run across the rear deck and down the quarter panels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts