Charger Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about this now as I was posting in a different thread regarding seat care and maintaining the leather and suede seats in my R/T road and track. A poster came in and said the seats are not leather they are "VINYL" and the suede is "microfiber." I was thinking no way but then 3 OTHER PEOPLE came in and said the same thing...lol.

I still didn't buy it because of how great my seats feel and how they look and are holding up 2 years in. Also, I remember pamphlets attached to 2 of my seats that stated the leather used was an extremely "high grade" of leather. I actually kept the ORIGINAL STICKER off my car and it says this:

LEATHER-TRIMMED SEATS
LEATHER TRIMMED BUCKET SEATS
8-WAY POWER DRIVER'S SEAT

Then over further it says this:
"PERF. SEATS W/ PREFERRED SUEDE & ACCENT STITCHING"

Nowhere on my Sticker does it say "VINYL" or "MICROFIBER" so i'm wondering where the confusion is and why 3 different people all claim these seats are Vinyl and Microfiber. Were certain models or years Vinyl? I'm more curious then anything now and since that posts title was geared towards cleaning solutions I figured i'd post it here and I know there are very knowledgable people that post here who can clear this up. Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As I stated in my reply to the previous post on this subject, the seats are leather. Period. End of story. There was a white tag w/blue lettering attached to my 09 R&T's drivers seat that clearly stated "premium leather".

I mean it only makes sense, right? Why would Dodge put crappy vinyl seats in the upscale version of the R/T when the base R/T comes w/leather? And, there's that smell - you can't fake that with plastic.

And for cleaning and treating the leather, I use Lexol products.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Griff,

not sure what post you're talking about, this is the post here:
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114076

You didn't respond to it so i'm guessing there was a similiar topic recently which you did respond to. Either way, I didn't believe I had "vinyl" seats for a second..but when THREE other people claimed they were absolutely Vinyl I said no way...pulled my original STICKER and as stated, saw my particluar car had leather like I suspected all along. I was and am still curious though why SO many would think some of the cars are VINYL....there must be a good explanation....again, maybe someone else can elaborate.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Griff,

not sure what post you're talking about, this is the post here:
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114076

You didn't respond to it so i'm guessing there was a similiar topic recently which you did respond to. Either way, I didn't believe I had "vinyl" seats for a second..but when THREE other people claimed they were absolutely Vinyl I said no way...pulled my original STICKER and as stated, saw my particluar car had leather like I suspected all along. I was and am still curious though why SO many would think some of the cars are VINYL....there must be a good explanation....again, maybe someone else can elaborate.
They are vinyl, do a search there are many threads on this topic like this http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18921&highlight=vinyl+seats&page=2

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
'06 hemi, did you actually read ANY of the post you just linked man? That post has a few people "claiming" the seats are VINYL or "synthetic" but others like myself posting the specifics directly OFF of the sticker.

The pamphlet I was referring to regarding the Leather attached to my seat when I bought the car as another member stated said this:

"PREMIUM BRAND LEATHER
GENUINE ENJOYMENT:
This new vehicle is equipped with genuine leather seating surfaces. The supple feel, rich aroma, and prestigious appearance of leather seating will enhance your driving experience for years to come. Leather's natural markings attest to its authenticity.
Every wrinkle, healed scar, and variation is conclusive proof of the natural origin of this quality leather. Please follow the care & cleaning recommendation below to ensure years of driving pleasure.
CARE INSTRUCTIONS
The natural beauty of the leather is best preserved by routine cleaning with a damp soft cloth taking care not to soak the leather. Small particles of dirt can be abrasive & damaging to leather surfaces & should be removed promptly.
Do not use saddle soap, polishes, oils, cleaning fluids, solvents, detergents, or ammonia based cleaners as they may be detrimental to the leather's natural finish. Stubborn soils can be removed easily with MOPAR Total Clean developed exclusively for your leather interior. This mild cleaner will gently clean & maintain the natural beauty of the leather. No conditioner is needed. With proper care & cleaning, this leather should retain its luster throughout the life of the vehicle.
Your leather is manufactured with pride by SETON Automotive Leather Couture."
So what part of "PREMIUM BRAND LEATHER" & "NATURAL LEATHER" are people not comprehending? Looks like a select few people just spewing BS and fallacies. Again, I really enjoy my seats so I could care less if they were made out of horses ass.....the point and FACTS ALL STATE "GENUINE LEATHER", nothing anywhere states FAKE, VINYL OR SYNTHETIC.

Read the post yourself man...this is getting more comical then anything.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And a little more INFO....I read the last line as the FINE REAL LEATHER manufatured by "SETON LEATHER" so I decided to check their website out. Very nice website..the company specliazes in REAL LEATHER applications as shown here:
http://www.setonco.com/

Wow, some people believe what others "claim" instead of reading BLATANT FACTS.....talk about a SUCKER being born every SECOND. This is hilarious already.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
'06 HEMI, it's saying that is standard on the 2009 models, it's listing the 2009 MODELS THERE, not any OTHER models. I'm listing the facts directly off of MY CAR which are as clear as night and day. Obviously the way the economy has been the last year or so it wouldn't surprise me ONE BIT that DCX has cut costs and corners and started using vinyl and microfiber....but my 2007 CLEARLY STATED SUEDE AND CLEARLY STATED "GENUINE" LEATHER OF THE FINEST QUALITY. This would answer my question as to where the "confusion" comes from though. I'd bet the 2009 models and maybe even the 2008's didn't have the same natural leather pamphlet I listed or state "genuine" leather and suede on the Sticker either.

Doesn't get much clearer then that, does it?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
thats the one 06..was tryin to take pic. of my book but flash keeps messin it up...lol
SRT leather Daytona n R/T r&t premiun vinyl... all the sublime n plum peeps have talked about it before...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I worked for a company who makes a lot of trims and seats for a lot of car companies...

and big part of our seats are made by vinyl... few part in leather... I know, this sucks, but this is because costs and long time life for the seats.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
'06 HEMI, it's saying that is standard on the 2009 models, it's listing the 2009 MODELS THERE, not any OTHER models. I'm listing the facts directly off of MY CAR which are as clear as night and day. Obviously the way the economy has been the last year or so it wouldn't surprise me ONE BIT that DCX has cut costs and corners and started using vinyl and microfiber....but my 2007 CLEARLY STATED SUEDE AND CLEARLY STATED "GENUINE" LEATHER OF THE FINEST QUALITY. This would answer my question as to where the "confusion" comes from though. I'd bet the 2009 models and maybe even the 2008's didn't have the same natural leather pamphlet I listed or state "genuine" leather and suede on the Sticker either.

Doesn't get much clearer then that, does it?
Your right, enjoy your seats, think whatever you want. Your right, where all wrong.

...........that are vinyl

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
u tell em trev...lol

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
They are vinyl, have them in mine. Look great after almost 3
years.

SRT=Leather, R/T=Leather, Daytona & R&T=Premium vinyl.

If there was a pamphlet in your car it was put there by salesman
who didn't know any better.

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
In 2008 they were clearly identified in all the literature as being vinyl. Nothing lead me to believe my car was equipped with leather at any point. That being said, the window sticker claims "Performance Seats w/Performance Suede".

·
Registered
596 Posts
The SRT8s have actual leather, unfortunately the R&T, and Daytona seats are vinyl. Sorry fellas, it's true. Feel a SRT8 seat and you can tell 100%.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
And, being a synthetic leather product/vinyl, they not only should last longer, but should be easier to keep clean and wear better. Enjoy your seats, whatever they are made of. :driving:

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
And, being a synthetic leather product/vinyl, they not only should last longer, but should be easier to keep clean and wear better. Enjoy your seats, whatever they are made of. :driving:
That is absolutely true. Viynl does not stretch like leather does and really is not a bad product. Take a leather seat in a car and a vinyl one over a period of a year or regular use and you'll see the vinyl seats willl look like brand new. Todays vinyl is much better then the vinyl seats of the 60's and 70's LOL

Don

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.