Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to this website and I joined because I've been debating if I should go for the 2021 R/T or the SCAT Pack.

Some background information. I've been working as a Software Developer for about 4 months now, with a starting salary of $60k before taxes. This includes a $3k annual bonus along with multiple benefits, including a 401k. My boss has told me that I've exceeded their expectations, so I have a good feeling about this place and believe that if I keep at it, I can get a decent salary increase. Everyone's super chill here too and my coworkers are football fans (something I've been having a hard time finding lol).

I'm lucky enough that my parents are very supportive and don't mind me staying at home for a couple of years. Hell, my brothers still live at home and they graduated 5 years ago (they're looking for their own houses to buy with all the money they saved up). I don't have any student loans and my parents pay for insurance, although my dad has mentioned that he would like I start to give him money for car insurance, which I don't mind. They don't ask for rent, so I like to treat them out to dinner to show my appreciation.

I understand that I'm still fairly young and barely started working. But with no college debt, a decent salary, absolutely no desire for kids, and a small amount of money going towards basic necessities (and maybe for car insurance, once I start shouldering that myself), I think that I can handle getting either the R/T or the Scat Pack this early in my career.

But is this a good idea? What do you guys think? I'd prefer if I could get the SCAT Pack, but of course I've heard stories about MPG and maintenance. I only ever use my car for work, and 2/3 of the commute is the freeway. I do live in the heart of LA, so that's something to consider for when I run errands. I haven't had the time to test drive either one, but I've heard they're very comfortable and very fun to drive.

The Hellcat is my dream car, but with the Charger being discontinued I want to take what I can get. If the Charger wasn't getting discontinued, I wouldn't be here asking since I've got an Altima that has 80k miles on it. She's got a good couple of years left, but man I just love the Charger. I'd rather get one sooner than later, especially if the price now is going to be a lot lower than the upcoming years because of the discontinuation news.

I know that if I have to ask, the answer is probably "no". But I'd like to hear some thoughts from actual Charger owners. So, R/T? SCAT Pack? Neither?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
If you're salary is $60k it's absolutely not a wise decision to buy a $40-$60k car. I mean you wouldn't be the first to do it, but good luck ever getting a mortgage until the vehicle is paid off if you're vehicle is nearly the salary you make in a year.

You already said you're living at home and your parents pay for your life. You're setting yourself up for failure, especially if car pricing starts to level out a bit in the next year.

Most people don't buy cars cash, but maybe finance something that's around 1/3rd of your salary, that way you're not dumping $800/month on a vehicle. They're not exactly cheap to maintain, either.

That being said, we were all your age once too and remember getting our first well paying job.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I don't mind you staying home a year or two to save up but I'd be pissed if my kid bought a brand new car of any kind while living under my roof... The idea of you staying home is to get a nice buffer for emergencies and rainy days not to spend it on a car you want vs. food and shelter you need.

I did the opposite... moved out then bought a car another year later and put it in my parent's garage! Still miss that 1996 Impala SS... Realized is was stupid having a nice car while renting and I didn't really need a car so sold it. I wasn't going to spend $200 a month to park it in a surface lot!

In your case what is the rush? I'd save up and move out and start living YOUR life.

If you simply must get a brand new car for yourself (my wife gets brand new cars I buy used) I've got a 2019 R/T and it is plenty fast and loud for me and I don't have a car payment. Youth today they can't stand to wait and earn anything. TV shows back in the day we had commercials you couldn't skip and nothing was "On Demand" if you missed a show you were SOL. :) If you buy a Scat Pack now what is next a Hellcat when you hit 25? You're setting yourself up for lifestyle creep your entire life. You'll have a $135k Tesla at 30 and you salary might still be under $100k.

What's wrong with finding a clean 2009-2012 Charger R/T and keeping it 5-6 years if you need to commute?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
The way kids are today they'll finance a $60k car for 96 months to keep the payments lower, then 2-3 years down the road realize they want their own place but can't get approved for a mortgage or to lease because their debt to income ratio is too high. Then they'll trade the vehicle in on something cheaper and rollover $15k of negative equity that'll take them 15 years and 3 cars to dig themselves out of.

I got a job as a Corrections Officer after graduating PSU in 2010 at age 25. Starting salary was $59k. I drove my grandparents Buick for a year, then bought a 2008 Impala LT for $13k and drove that until 2014. Then bought a 2010 R/T AWD in 2014 for $19k, then a 2013 392 in 2016 for $27k. My salary now is quite a bit more than that, but with a kid, mortgage, it's a good middle class wage nothing close to affording an expensive car.

$60k is a good starting salary, but by no means living the high life, especially when you factor in vehicle maintenance and the cost of living. You also live in Los Angeles where everything is more expensive. I live in rural Pennsylvania where I'm surrounded by Horse & Buggy's and everything is closed on a Sunday.

Why not look at a 2011-14 R/T?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new to this website and I joined because I've been debating if I should go for the 2021 R/T or the SCAT Pack.

Some background information. I've been working as a Software Developer for about 4 months now, with a starting salary of $60k before taxes. This includes a $3k annual bonus along with multiple benefits, including a 401k. My boss has told me that I've exceeded their expectations, so I have a good feeling about this place and believe that if I keep at it, I can get a decent salary increase. Everyone's super chill here too and my coworkers are football fans (something I've been having a hard time finding lol).

I'm lucky enough that my parents are very supportive and don't mind me staying at home for a couple of years. Hell, my brothers still live at home and they graduated 5 years ago (they're looking for their own houses to buy with all the money they saved up). I don't have any student loans and my parents pay for insurance, although my dad has mentioned that he would like I start to give him money for car insurance, which I don't mind. They don't ask for rent, so I like to treat them out to dinner to show my appreciation.

I understand that I'm still fairly young and barely started working. But with no college debt, a decent salary, absolutely no desire for kids, and a small amount of money going towards basic necessities (and maybe for car insurance, once I start shouldering that myself), I think that I can handle getting either the R/T or the Scat Pack this early in my career.

But is this a good idea? What do you guys think? I'd prefer if I could get the SCAT Pack, but of course I've heard stories about MPG and maintenance. I only ever use my car for work, and 2/3 of the commute is the freeway. I do live in the heart of LA, so that's something to consider for when I run errands. I haven't had the time to test drive either one, but I've heard they're very comfortable and very fun to drive.

The Hellcat is my dream car, but with the Charger being discontinued I want to take what I can get. If the Charger wasn't getting discontinued, I wouldn't be here asking since I've got an Altima that has 80k miles on it. She's got a good couple of years left, but man I just love the Charger. I'd rather get one sooner than later, especially if the price now is going to be a lot lower than the upcoming years because of the discontinuation news.

I know that if I have to ask, the answer is probably "no". But I'd like to hear some thoughts from actual Charger owners. So, R/T? SCAT Pack? Neither?
Hellcat has been my dream car forever but I only had used cars under my parents roof. First new car was when I was living on my own and single and it was a 2016 Kia Optima SXL. The kia has all the creature comforts you need as a daily driver. Then got married and saved some money. Now as of yesterday I ordered my dream car but chose scat pack widebody because while the Hellcat Is awesome it is very expensive and not a daily driver unless you are loaded. $60k is not loaded. It's harsh truth. I agree with other posts... suicide to buy any new car while living under parents roof. Plus it would force you to live under parents roof for a long time because you wouldn't be able to afford to move anywhere.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I will put in my .02....

First the post question answer and not my opinion on your situation.

I have owned a 19 rt and now own a 21 spwb.

Rt will be a 5.7 that is easier on insurance and the gas tank. Takes regular fuel and does not have expensive brakes when the time is due. At your age insurance will kill you on this as is no matter what one you choose. A scat pack will be more in every sense of the car and the word. Premium fuel in the 6.4 poorer fuel economy (depending on your left foot), more expensive oil and really expensive brakes depending on options.

In your situation I would by the rt. But be sure to take into account everything when looking at your costs. Fuel will be significantly higher even on the rt. You will burn more because of the speed and the ability to do so. Not to mention the actual v8 part of the equation. Insurance will be too unless you have a spotless record and have another car or house insured currently with the insuree. And you dont because of still being on your parents policy. You will be the highest risk driver. Enough said on that. The scat will be absurd on insurance. And for all intensive purposes is not fully usable on the street with its capabilities.

Mine SPWB is a toy....and only gets driven on weekends and the occasional drive to work. Not driven at all this time of year.

Read on for my opionion on your income/ situation....

You live in LA? Price of everything out there is way more than anything here in the midwest. Keep that in mind when looking towards the future....

If and when you go for a mortgage good luck if you have any significant debt and are single. Your income is a joke to any bank... back about 8 years ago i was making 43k and wife was making about the same. Couldnt get a bank to agree to any mortgage because of college loan debt....had to have a cosigner. Luckily my in laws signed and had substantial income/credit history. Long story short the banks were like now you can get anything you want even though we were the ones with the dp and making the payment. I am afraid my friend you will be in a similar situation....because of lack of credit history and for your location a limited income. Here is the kicker after you get your name on a mortgage the banks literally will attempt to approve you for anything. In your case you need to start building some sort of credit history and buying a car is not the answer because it will affect your debt to income negatively. Cars are depreciating assets unlike real estate. Smaller debts such as a credit card that is routinely paid will be your friend. Continue to drive your nissan with only 80k. In southern cali that thing should run forever with proper maintenance.

How do i make it with 2 car payments and a mortgage? Great interest rates from my excellent credit history and cost of living is cheaper here. Working additional jobs and having a clean cut driving record and being over 30 is some others. Also i daily drove my cavalier for 15 years 334k before retiring it for safety reasons, I live in the rust belt. I still have my wifes high school car i use for work now. As others have said save your money and look at used ones down the road when the electric surge hits and ice engines become less desirable. Also buy a house first with a 20 percent down payment. That is the only way you will ever get ahead in a mortgage and refinance at the right time if its cost effective for a shorter term and lower interest rate.

Sorry for the book, but I hate to see someone have their dream car then lose it to a negative transaction on buying that first house that will probably be below your standards anyway as you are screwed like most by the banking system.

Neil

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is it a good idea? No, it's a really bad idea. Keep your Nissan or get yourself a used Prius or Honda Civic if you MUST get a different car. Something reliable, cheaper to maintain and gets good gas mileage (if you're commuting in LA with all the traffic, any Hemi engine is about as bad as it gets for MPG). Now with that said, if you're going to go ahead and do this regardless of what we're telling you - get the SCAT over the RT. I've had both and the 392 smokes the 5.7. For about 5 grand more, well worth it in my opinion. Of course that's just me saying I think it's a better value, but realistically, for someone your age, you're better off with the RT. I know I'm going around in circles a bit here, forgive me. My real advice to you is don't do it! Good luck.

Reactions: neil4224

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your parents worked hard to raise you and your brothers with the hopes that you all would move out and be productive. That is all parents hope for. Do them a favor and move out and start your life.

Yeah it sucks not getting your dream car when you want. I am 42yo and just ordered my first sports car. I had responsibilities that were more important then having my sports car. And you know what, I am glad I didn't get my sports car when I was younger. It means more to me now.

I assume you don't have a girlfriend. Maybe I am wrong but bare with me. You are out with friends and meet a girl and hit it off. She wants to go back to your place so you give her a ride in your Scat Pack and drive her home. Everything is going great until at some point it comes out that you live with your parents, at their house. Kiss that girl goodbye.

Like FlyersHockey said, look for a used car. Then make it your own and park it in your garage, not your parents.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
OMG, I'm on the same side of an issue with BigMO. I think I feel faint. :)

Two things:

1. Having been around the block a few times, I'd counsel you to save your money for a couple of years and THEN get a fancy car. Put that money to work for YOU at a young age rather than hand it to Dodge and pay interest to a bank.

2. I don't know where you live or what kind of software you develop, but that salary is pretty low. Some of my teams hire software developers by the hundreds every year and any dev worth their salt is making about $80k plus a fat benefits package. That's right out of school. Experienced developers are making 2-3 times that. You may want to shop around.

Welcome to the working world!

Best,

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 2¢

Take all your money and throw it in the stock market, keep driving whatever you currently have.

Before buying my SCAT, I threw 180k miles and 14 years on my Nissan Altima. Do you have reliable transportation?

When I first entered the work force, I spent money like crazy. I bought $20 cigars, smoked four or five a day, and traveled all over the world. Had I saved those dollars, I would now have $300K cash.

$300K liquid cash is substantial money by any one's standards. This means, unlike your 401(k), if you want to buy your fiancee a four karat diamond ring, you can do so cash.

You don't want to miss out right? My dream car when I was your age was a Lincoln Town Car. Had I bought one on day #1, I would have, what, $15K? Had I put the same money in the market or crypto, I'd have $300K.

Let's assume, Dodge stops making gasoline engines, you have a garage to put your Charger in, etc. Let's assume the Charger becomes a collectible, right? Let's assume the SCAT now goes for $120K, right? You are still better in crypto or the stock market.

About your current salary, as was said, $60K is low for a SWE. Send me a PM :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am the dummy who bought an R/T at 21 (last year) while still under my parent's roof. Do I regret it? Well, not exactly. Ask me in 10 years for a better answer ;)

Between the R/T and the Scat, I would choose the Scat. I love the 5.7 Hemi, don't get me wrong, but the 6.4 is something else according to others. I have yet to drive one because I don't want to know what I'm missing out on. When I owned a 3.6L and test drove a 5.7L, I fell in love with the Hemi and had to have one. The 6.4L is out of the question for me in terms of pricing, so I'll wait before I take one for a spin.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,479 Posts
If you must choose between these 2 , I'd say go for an R/T. It's a way better all around car for the street. Plus all the other benefits of better gas mileage and the ability to run 87 or 89 octane. The Scat pack requires 91 or above and drinks gas like it's going out of style.

The R/T is an excellent car if you want to modify it down the road. This is coming from a Scat Pack owner.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
If you must choose between these 2 , I'd say go for an R/T. It's a way better all around car for the street. Plus all the other benefits of better gas mileage and the ability to run 87 or 89 octane. The Scat pack requires 91 or above and drinks gas like it's going out of style.

The R/T is an excellent car if you want to modify it down the road. This is coming from a Scat Pack owner.
Welcome back!

You return and I just tested positive today. Feel like I fell off a ladder.

• Sad
Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
Welcome back!

You return and I just tested positive today. Feel like I fell off a ladder.
I feel like I fell off a ladder because I ate a lot of Korean BBQ last night and drank way too much soju. :)

Get well soon, man!

Best,

Reactions: Mantis

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I feel like I fell off a ladder because I ate a lot of Korean BBQ last night and drank way too much soju. :)

Get well soon, man!

Best,
Thank you. I might set the record for consecutive hours of laying in bed! I got tested this morning and have been in bed ever since.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
Thank you. I might set the record for consecutive hours of laying in bed! I got tested this morning and have been in bed ever since.
You and Ron Jeremy fighting for the title. :D

Reactions: FlyersHockey

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all for the great advice! I'd like to clarify some things here.

1. I understand I should prioritize moving out and getting a house over getting a car. And I shouldn't abuse the fact that my parents are letting me stay at home to save up money. But if it were up to them, they'd want me to stay there forever. I'm big on family and would drink often with my pops (it's a secret but he told me I'm his favorite because I actually hang out with him haha)

Anyways, here's some more background info: I live in a connected duplex, where my parents live in one house and other relatives live in the other. Those other relatives are planning to move back to our native country within the next couple of years, and my mother personally asked if I would be willing to take over, which I don't mind. Saves me the trouble of looking for a decent priced house with the way the market is right now. I would still need to discuss with them how the payments and stuff work, but in the case that I do end up taking over, I suppose it really isn't wise to get a Charger at this point.

2. I'm only rushing on getting a Charger because of the news on how Dodge is discontinuing production of their Charger and Challenger models due to the upcoming EV law, something of the sorts there. Like I said earlier, I think that the price of Chargers are going to be a lot higher in the future compared to now because they're discontinuing these models. If that's the case, then I'd rather I get a Charger sooner rather than later. If they weren't discontinuing these models, I'd be saving up for the Hellcat instead (which I had originally planned on getting at least 5 years from now, because by then I'd expected to have moved out).

3. Some of you say to get a used Charger, which I'm totally fine with. I probably should've been more clear with saying that I'm not only looking at new Chargers.

4. Yeah, a $60k salary isn't a lot when it comes to being a Software Dev. Which is why I'm going to see if I can negotiate a salary increase with my boss, especially since he's "impressed I'm learning so quickly and exceeding everyone's expectations". I'm going to stay in this company for a bit to see if they'll reward me for doing a good job. If it's just not enough, then I'm going to jump ship. One of the fastest ways to get a salary increase as a software dev is to apply for another job once you get enough experience. Or so I've heard.

And thank you so much for the insight on how gas is for the R/T and SCAT Pack. I was only looking at statistics on the Specs page and saw that the MPG difference was just about 1 or 2. I also saw that the SCAT Pack is a couple thousand more, so the whole point of this discussion was to see whether that couple thousand price bump along is negligible. But of course, I recall seeing a YouTube video where this guy reviewed a SCAT Pack after daily driving it for a year, and apparently when he revved the car he could actually see the gas meter move down. I'm not really excited for that.

Well, if I do end up getting a Charger this year, I guess I'd go for the R/T considering how I live in LA and intend to use it for daily driving. Of course, nothing is set in stone and I may not actually get a Charger at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If I could do it over, I would have never bought a brand new car and instead put that toward a mortgage back in 2012.

You asked about the 5.7L R/T or 6.4L Scatpack. I've had a 2018 Challenger 5.7L as my first V8. It was my daily and super fun to drive with more than enough power. I got rid of that cause I wanted a Charger. I intended to get the RT Charger but the horsepower dollars in 2020 were too good to pass up. That along with the price of a no option Scatpack was only $2000 away compared to the RT w/blacktop and plus package (which were the two options I must had). I went with the Scatpack solely cause it had everything the RT would've offered (heated seats/steering, black trim, standard Alpine audio, etc). However if I had a redo in 2022 car market pricing...I foresee myself going RT cause I'm too cheap to pay the crazy mark up on Scatpacks and I never desired the extra power.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
All these post are great advice and advice you most certainly should consider. I’m 60 years old and have 6 kids (4 boys and 2 girls) age range 30 - 39. I sat down with each of them and created a financial plan when they were in a similar situation - can the spreadsheet showed a clear picture of where all their money was going. That helped them mark an informed decision on where to purchase that vehicle, rent this specific apartment etc..it basically showed all expenses of being an adult. But at the end of the day, the decision is yours and yours alone, and one you as an adult MUST live with. You say you’re big on family, sit with your Dad and do a spreadsheet.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts