Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer has a number of 07 chargers left over and with the big rebate, I am looking hard. I know I need a V8 Hemi, but I am on the fence about the R&T package. I am really trying to not overspend, and the R&T adds $3,000 to it.
My feelings on the R&T: I like the spoilers and grill alot. I like the steering and suspension alot. I am not too thrilled with the interior- sporty, but a little over the top. The 20" wheels really kill it for me. I love last years R&T 18" with the black insides. The new chrome 20" look rather pimpy to me.
I'm not trying t insult anybody who likes their car the way it is. I am 43 and i don't want to look like I'm driving my kids car.
Anyway I may just buy a R&T and maybe change out the grill for the R&T type and add spoilers(anybody done that, how much$). I also wanted to know where the R&T gets 10 extra horsepower?

Thanks,

MIKE

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Go with the R&T

My local dealer has a number of 07 chargers left over and with the big rebate, I am looking hard. I know I need a V8 Hemi, but I am on the fence about the R&T package. I am really trying to not overspend, and the R&T adds $3,000 to it.
My feelings on the R&T: I like the spoilers and grill alot. I like the steering and suspension alot. I am not too thrilled with the interior- sporty, but a little over the top. The 20" wheels really kill it for me. I love last years R&T 18" with the black insides. The new chrome 20" look rather pimpy to me.
I'm not trying t insult anybody who likes their car the way it is. I am 43 and i don't want to look like I'm driving my kids car.
Anyway I may just buy a R&T and maybe change out the grill for the R&T type and add spoilers(anybody done that, how much$). I also wanted to know where the R&T gets 10 extra horsepower?

Thanks,

MIKE
I would get the R&T package, if not for the upgraded suspension/steering. I changed out the "heatsink" grill for the R/T one for about $67.00. You can always change the wheels. You may be able to ask the dealer if they can do it for you, as the old ones probably cost less. I decided not to go with the spoiler, but they are around $300. CustomPartsPlus (supporting vendor) makes a good OEM style replica. As far as the added HP, the R&T packaged R/T has a bigger airbox as well as a slightly different exhaust system. All in all, get the R&T Package

Hope this helps,

Rich

·
Registered
769 Posts
X2

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
I haven't driven an R/T with the R&T package so I can't comment on the "other stuff" you get other than 10hp. If you're after just the 10hp, consider that's about a 3% change over the "regular" 5.7L in the R/T...

In terms of the engine, I believe the airbox is a bit different and it uses a different exhaust.

Best,

·
Registered
213 Posts
I do lots of highway driving, and the thing I like about the RT is the steering/handling/suspension package. The RT is a good bit of extra $$, but if you will be doing a fair amount of highway driving it might be money well spent.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Actually, the R/T R/T R/T has a third flux capacitor.......

Zorst and airbox my botty - this is quantum physics! :smoke:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
In a nutshell or two:

R/T R&T gives you 10 hp from a slightly different airbox and exhaust. If you think you'll upgrade either or both (and it's recommended), that benefit goes away (but replaced by the benefits of whatever aftermarket stuff you go with, dig?).

Apart from the cosmetic stuff (spoiler, badges, grill), you've got 9-land steering (which means more fluid going through, and so tighter, more precise steering); Rear Nivomats (load-leveling suspension); much better seats (IMO, they're so much better on trips and around town); Those wheels are either a plus or minus, depending, (but I'm with you...); a few other things I forget, but that's the big stuff.

If you want a slighly sportier R/T, without having to do aftermarket mods, it's a great package. If you're going to do a lot of mods anyway, you'll likely be replacing these upgrades anyway, so... but the steering is not something you can change later (least I've never heard of anyone doing it), and these seats are pricey to swap out after the fact... Not sure how much you care about those two features.

Hope it helps...?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Most people on here will say the R&T is worth the extra money. Honestly I can say the R/T with R&T performance group is very rare in my area and they usually have the luxury items like electronics group, and auto climate options deleted. If you were to get the luxury options combined with the R&T group then it gets very close to the SRT8 price.

I like the older daytonas and R&T performance groups better than this years but that is just me. Most people say the R&T group is worth it and if you do not want EVIC, auto climate control then this is a great option for you..

·
Registered
580 Posts
Weird; I have yet to see an R&T without those very options. I'd say the R&T's are actually usually more loaded up than the regular R/T's.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It's not worth it for you to spend the extra money just for the suspension & steering, and then spending more money changing out the wheels.

I think getting a standard R/T and adding your own spoiler & grill is the best option for you.

I know the suspension and the steering are nice on the R&T package, but for most, the interior makes it a worthy upgrade....and the wheels (for me) made me proud to spend the $3300. Best car I have ever owned.....

- Mark

·
Registered
928 Posts
I totaly agree, the reason I got the R&T is for the suspention/seats/steering and the body mods.

if you did these after, the seats alone are 2g's and suspention is atleast 1g. and thats still not bringing you up to par with the R&T yet.

I like the wheels personaly, but would be fine with the old ones.

I wouldnt imagine getting the charger without the upgraded seats. they are just too good.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice guys. I went back to the dealer today while they are closed(Its the law to be closed on Sundays in Illinois). They have the R&T with sound group 2, convenience group, and sunroof for $37,000. Take off about $6,000 fro incentives and discount and that's $31K. Not bad, but next to it is the Base R/T with no options for $31,000 or about $25,500 after deals. I had been looking for a used one, but they all want $25,000 for a 2006 R/T
The standard interior looks ok to me and I like the wheels. The engine is the same and I like doing mods. I am sure it will get an intake and a cat back before it's first birthday. Probably spoilers and a grill too.

Either way I'm gettin' a Charger :cool:

MIKE

·
Registered
34 Posts
yeah, I just took a big hit trading in my charger RT for one with R&T package. It is a big difference with a tighter steering ratio, stronger brakes, interior upgrade with some electrical upgrade. I did consider modifying everything but, first the money comes out of your pocket instead of financing it and second, you need a good mechanic. I don't have the time to do these things. Finally, I think the R&T's do carry some premium because there are not that many around.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I agree with the original poster; the wheels on the R/T R/T package are way too big pimpin' for me. In fact, it just ruins the look of the car. For the extra 10 HP, it's just a marketing gimmick. When LS1 Firehawk TA's advertised 10 more HP over the standard car, it was gimmick. Yes, they got a little better air lid and cat-back. But, on the dyno and the track, there was no difference over the base TA. Just get the regular R/T and upgrade as you feel best.

·
Registered
276 Posts
yeah, I just took a big hit trading in my charger RT for one with R&T package. It is a big difference with a tighter steering ratio, stronger brakes, interior upgrade with some electrical upgrade. I did consider modifying everything but, first the money comes out of your pocket instead of financing it and second, you need a good mechanic. I don't have the time to do these things. Finally, I think the R&T's do carry some premium because there are not that many around.
the last I heard somewhere around 50-60 percent of all Chargers sold are the R/T Hemi option. Look on Dodge's website and you will see lots of dealers with SEs, SXTs, and very very few R/Ts. Yeah the dyno difference between the two cars (standard R/T and R&T) stock is like 2-3 whp. Is that much of a difference worth it now.

·
Registered
580 Posts
the last I heard somewhere around 50-60 percent of all Chargers sold are the R/T Hemi option. Look on Dodge's website and you will see lots of dealers with SEs, SXTs, and very very few R/Ts. Yeah the dyno difference between the two cars (standard R/T and R&T) stock is like 2-3 whp. Is that much of a difference worth it now.
You don't buy the R&T for a little power increase...you seem to be very against this package for some odd reason.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You don't buy the R&T for a little power increase...you seem to be very against this package for some odd reason.
No I am not against it at all. I could not probably have found one with all the features I wanted but I would have to had ordered it. I actually was going to buy either a TB or GMG Daytona (Price was not an objection) but they look like something out of a superhero comic book collection. They were a little loud for my tastes. It does not matter. The R&T is a good package and for some it is a great value for me it did not mean as much....

·
Super Moderator
11,545 Posts

Thanks,

MIKE
My .02:

I originally wanted an SRT-8, until I found out how much my monthly payment would be. So for me, the R&T package was a MUST HAVE option before I even got to the dealership. Once I drove the R/T R&T demo car, I didn't even need to drive a regular R/T. I knew what I wanted. That interior is just way to nice to pass up. I felt the same about the wheels, until the first time I washed the car and found out they're PLASTIC. But I've grown to like them again. In the end it will come down to personal preference. You mentioned you really liked the spoilers. I like the chin spoiler, but I think rear spoilers on everyday passenger cars are so overdone, that it didn't matter to me if it had one or not. But I do like it, I guess. I would say that if you can afford it, and you like the R&T options, then go for it.

PS. I am 40 (as of last weekend) and I do not feel like I'm driving my son's car. Not at all...

Good luck on whatever you decide to purchase,

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
580 Posts
No I am not against it at all. I could not probably have found one with all the features I wanted but I would have to had ordered it. I actually was going to buy either a TB or GMG Daytona (Price was not an objection) but they look like something out of a superhero comic book collection. They were a little loud for my tastes. It does not matter. The R&T is a good package and for some it is a great value for me it did not mean as much....
Obviously since I own a TB Daytona I'm a little biased, but I like the fact they look so different...I have literally no desire to change anything about the appearance of my car except to maybe powercoat my wheels. It's the first time I've felt this way about a car, and I really enjoy that fact.

Now if only Dodge had made the whole interior black...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts