Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ladies and Gentlemen (and the rest of you... hehe),

I have had the full, stock, R/T Exhaust mounted on my 3.5l SXT/AWD. I did a lot of research on this site and the best I could find was that it "should" bolt on with no problem. Well, almost. The installers found that the ID of the clamps were slightly larger than the OD of my downpipes (headers?), so they welded on a "collar" or extra layer around the end of the pipes so the clamps would fit snugly around. Besides that, no problem. Cost about $100 at Muffler Brothers.

I took it out on the highway and took the "scenic" route home. First impression is that it is fairly loud with a lot of drone inside.Granted, this is compared to the stock exhaust that is pretty quiet. The sound is pretty impressive and smooth, hardly sounds like a V6! I think the X-pipe helped smooth out the sound a lot. Feels peppier, but I haven't timed it before or after to give you numbers... I'll update this in a few days (or a week or two) as it settles down and let you know how it sounds. I don't have an audio clip yet...

UPDATE: 9/31/07- I took the car back to MB to get the system checked and found out why mine was so loud and had the bad drone... there was a small gap where the R/T pipes clamped onto the headers. That's fixed, and now it very quiet... maybe too quiet! hehe

BIG thanks to RougeWelder for the exhaust!

UPDATE 9/23/09- I finally got tired of the nasty, bassy resonance I picked up, after replacing the reso's with the Zoomer's Cannon Tips. Just have to chalk that one up as a "learning experience"... :confused: I have replaced my exhaust with the full Magnaflow system, #16936, and it's just what I was looking for! :D NO more drone, still a nice growl to it, and a bit more grroowwwlll when you go full-throttle. Not what I would call "loud", though, if that's what you're looking for. I decided to go "quieter" on this car.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
a GIRL AT WORK JUST BROUGHT A NEW SE AND BROUGHT MY OLD DAYTONA EXHAUST, MUFFLER PLACE PUT IT ON AND SHE LOVES IT!!!!

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update for yinz...

We used the stock clamps on the R/T exhaust and built up the pipes after the cats to attach the system. It came loose in about 2 weeks, and has a constant problem with leaks, so it's loud up front and in the car. I would recommend for people doing this that you cut off the clamps, and have the installer make the proper sleeve to join the two pipes together and weld them on.

I will probably have this done to mine, as I'm considering doing the "tuna-boat" mod-- replacing the stock reso's with double-wall tips or similar. I'm searching for good tips now... ;)

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New Tips/Reso's

Well, another update to the saga...

It's a little bit of an "experiment" on my part, so please bear with me...

I wanted a bit more "growl" out the back than what I had with the stock R/T exhaust, I also hated the look of the reso's and stock tips. I was also trying to avoid replacing the entire system, since the rest is all-stainless. Yea, trying to save a few bucks, not sure if I did or not...

I bought a pair of Zoomer's Cannon Tips to replace the reso's. Great looks, and the straight-thru design was much better than the stock ones. Turns out they don't just replace the reso's themselves, as the tailpipe from the muffler and back all needed to be replaced to mount the new tips. It took me quite a while to find a local shop that could work with stainless pipe. I found a Monro Muffler shop that could do it, but the one closest to my house had an older pipe-bender and could NOT shape the pipe properly! They recommended me to another Monro shop that had a newer machine, only about 15 min. further away. I took the car in today and IT IS DONE!! So far, it sounds just like what I wanted. I'll give it few weeks to "break in" and see how it sounds then. So far, it's nice! (No, no sound clip yet, hopefully later this week... please be patient!) The total for tips, pipe and labor came out to about $550.

All for now, have fun!
:D

·
Registered
240 Posts
When i got my R/T exhaust the guys at the muffler shop couldnt get the left side cat to fit . so we left the Stock v6 cats which are slightly smaller and welded the R/T pipes on. I LOVE the way it sounds. I heard that the whole setup was supposed to fit just fine. It didnt in my case, but im glad. Sometimes even with my stock cats i feel like it can be loud ( when i dont need it to be) lol

·
Registered
240 Posts
I used the Stock R/T mufflers

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Do I need to change the heat shield on my SXT above the muffler if I go w/ a stock R/T exhaust?

Are their any other areas of heat concern if I install the R/T system?

Am I correct in that its best to have the R/T system welded onto the header pipes and NOT use the existing clamps?

-GB

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do I need to change the heat shield on my SXT above the muffler if I go w/ a stock R/T exhaust?

Are their any other areas of heat concern if I install the R/T system?

Am I correct in that its best to have the R/T system welded onto the header pipes and NOT use the existing clamps?

-GB
You'll have to look at your existing heat shields, I think mine had them all on there, but I'm not really sure.

The clamps on the front of the Y-pipe are 1/4" LARGER diameter than the stock pipes coming out of the cats. My shop at first tried to keep them "clamp-on", so they added a collar of metal around the down pipes. That didn't work well at all and they wound up welding the whole thing on. I would recommend just cutting off the clamps and weld the pipes on. They'll have to check the overall length to see if that'll work... Make sure they aren't close to the cross-bar before welding! The cross bar is near the muffler. It's a "safety" in case the pipe should ever break, it won't auger in to the ground and send the pipes up into the back seat or trunk! (That's called a "bad thing".) :D

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Oh Yeah!

I guess my new system came out pretty well... I was talking to a friend at work about it, and he liked the sound of it at start up and idle. We then left work and pulled out onto a 4-lane highway... He got in the left lane and held his speed down a little, allowing me to do a WOT run past him on the right. I slowed down after that and waited for him to pass me...

He had his side window down and gave me a huge smile and a big thumbs-up!! :grin: Oh yeah!! I musta done good! :D

yea, yea, I know... "sound clips!!" Hopefully this week, after the temperature gets back up into the double-digits! :D

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That sounds really good.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shameless Bump for the Night Crew, check out my video ^.

:grin:

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
That sounds really good,
I almost bought an R/T exhaust but I had second thoughts because with what the guy wanted, what the shop wanted, it was half the cost of a Bigfuzz23 style brand new setup. Tax money I will get mine hooked up.
Thanks for the video.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I still have the cats from the Daytona. Can i still have them put on?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry I'm not familiar with the 2.7's... I'm sure some of those guys will chime in here! You can also do a search for 2.7 exhaust and see what you get.

Best of Luck with it! :grin:

·
Registered
240 Posts
heres my setup

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,486 Posts
hey ron380, i dont know too much about chargers but could i get a stock, R/T Exhaust mounted on my 2.7l, if not do you all rec. anything?

Yeah, you shouldn't have an issue with the 2.7! You can find you an R/T Exhaust and throw it on.

Make sure you don't go with the SRT8 exhaust as it is too large of a diameter pipe!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts