Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home last night about 2 in the morning on the 101 freeway. Not even noticing that there is a brand 06 BMW M5 in front of me about 3-4 car lenghts ahead, so i pull right behind and wanted to see if he would punch it. So were going about 75ish for a few miles when i hear his exhaust rumble and he takes off, so i punch it too, we went on till about 142ish thats when we shut down. He was only half a car lenghts of front of the whole time, i thought i was going to loose badly but the srt hung in there. I thought that was kinda cool.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'm thinking he may not have known how to drive his car, or he wasn't going all out. It should have been worse.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
going until 142mph is not all out, maybe it wasnt half a car, a full car lenghts. But still he didn't leave me in the dust like i thought he would

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
The new M5's are SMG transmissions only. Not like he really could have messed up on shifting, unless he was holding gears way too long.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I just went to the BMW website -- 6 speed manual is still an option..
I did not read the details -- isn't it a true manual?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I just went to the BMW website -- 6 speed manual is still an option..
I did not read the details -- isn't it a true manual?
wow that was news to me. I could have sworn when they first came out in 06 the ony transmission was the SMG. The SMG is a manual transmission except the clutch is controlled by the computer. with SMG it's a 7 speed transmission. Still very nice run to the OP.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i dont really know anything about the m5's but from ur story it sounds like u were really close behind him the whole time going at high speeds, you probably got a lot of help just because of drafting.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i dont really know anything about the m5's but from ur story it sounds like u were really close behind him the whole time going at high speeds, you probably got a lot of help just because of drafting.

The BMW M5 is to the BMW 550 as the SRT8 is to our R/t

M5= 500 horsepower at 7750 rpm 383ft-lbs at 6100rpm
it weights 4019 pounds.
Standard is a 7 speed Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG).
According to BMW a 0-60 of 4.5 seconds.

So yeah it isn't that far off in power from an SRT8. You can easily buy two SRT8's for the price of one M5 though.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
thanks for the info! personally, even if i had the money for the m5 i'd rather have an SRT8. its just cooler.

The BMW M5 is to the BMW 550 as the SRT8 is to our R/t

M5= 500 horsepower at 7750 rpm 383ft-lbs at 6100rpm
it weights 4019 pounds.
Standard is a 7 speed Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG).
According to BMW a 0-60 of 4.5 seconds.

So yeah it isn't that far off in power from an SRT8. You can easily buy two SRT8's for the price of one M5 though.

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Last year I read an article about the german perfomance cars at the end of the article there was a little sub section that read....and of 10 - 15 K less you can get a Charger SRT8 that will keep up with these cars in accelreation and handling, it was one of the reasons I went w/ the charger, that and it was 10K less than the BMW : )

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
The M5 added the full manual transmission option a few months after it came out. The downside is that because of traction control and wheel hop it was actually slower than the SMG.

You’ve heard the old maxim about being careful what you wish for, and here’s another vindication for its persistence. When the latest M5 came along, we were properly awed by its 500-hp V-10 but critical of its seven-speed sequential manual gearbox (SMG), an automated manual transmission. On a dry racetrack, its lightning shifts are beyond reproach. But on public roads, in full automatic mode, it’s a different story, with big lags between upshifts. A logbook commentator reported that he “tried to leave it in auto mode but just couldn’t stand it.”

So BMW responded with a six-speed manual-gearbox option, which we’ve been anticipating for a year. Yes! This’ll push the bad-boy Bimmer a big step closer to perfection. We thought.

Uh-oh, not so fast. This M5’s shift-for-yourself six-speed is consistent with others we’ve experienced from BMW. In fact, it’s the same six-speed employed in the previous-generation M5. And therein lies the rub. The new M5’s V-10 was designed to be allied with the seven-speed SMG. Bolting the same engine to the six-speed entailed a proviso. With the SMG, the driver had the option of disabling the dynamic stability-control (DSC) system. When you opt for the manual, you don’t get that option. A little dashboard button labeled MDM — for “M Dynamic Mode” — raises the DSC intervention threshold, but unlike the SMG version, it can’t be completely shut down and is always on guard. When wheelspin is detected, DSC goes to work, damping the throttle, sometimes squeezing the big cross-drilled brake rotors.

0702_bullet_bmw_dash.jpgWould you be surprised to hear that this doesn’t have a positive effect on acceleration? Or lap times on the Streets of Willow? Or making a hot exit from a slow corner? Of course you wouldn’t. Because that’s precisely what happens. This M5 was a half-second slower to 60 mph than the SMG version we tested in January 2006 — 4.7 versus 4.2 — and a half-second slower through the quarter-mile: 13.0 seconds at 114 mph versus 12.5 at 118. DSC also inhibited lane-change performance (60.8 mph versus 65.6) and skidpad results (0.83 lateral g versus 0.89).

All of this is attributable to product-liability issues, specifically, concerns about axle tramp, a.k.a. wheel hop, during full-throttle launches, which could break expensive drivetrain bits and irritate the well-heeled owners BMW would prefer to keep happy.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/12145/bmw-m5.html

13.0 seconds is within range of a SRT8 if the BMW is slow on the trigger

·
Registered
297 Posts
I agree with that, and said that in an old old thread -- and I got trashed for saying it. :knockout:

I still believe it!

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=434481&postcount=105
You must be kidding. Harley's are for trend humping fashion lemmings. You can't compare the engineering and raw power you get from a jap bike to a Harley. Just take a look at MotoGP. American made bikes can't compete in the world of grand prix racing, and they don't for that matter. My 1200cc Kawasaki puts 180HP to the ground with 94ftlbs of torque. No Harley can touch that without dumping thousands into the engine and throwing reliability out the window.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
You must be kidding. Harley's are for trend humping fashion lemmings. You can't compare the engineering and raw power you get from a jap bike to a Harley. Just take a look at MotoGP. American made bikes can't compete in the world of grand prix racing, and they don't for that matter. My 1200cc Kawasaki puts 180HP to the ground with 94ftlbs of torque. No Harley can touch that without dumping thousands into the engine and throwing reliability out the window.
Yup.. I hear you, and agree with all of your argument; still, the Harley is just better! It has nothing to do with "trend humping fashion lemmings"... Harleys have been king for as long as I can remember -- trends come and go.

We should just agree to disagree on this one. As I said, some people just don't get it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You might be able to hang with a new M5 for a little while, but just like our cars racing most others, the advantage grows as the speed increases. Above 70-80 mph they should pull pretty well.

Another possible variable is that the new M5 has a 400/500hp mode or switch - at least I think it does.

Eric

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
You might be able to hang with a new M5 for a little while, but just like our cars racing most others, the advantage grows as the speed increases. Above 70-80 mph they should pull pretty well.

Another possible variable is that the new M5 has a 400/500hp mode or switch - at least I think it does.

Eric
Yes, it does.

Remember that the M5 V10 has even less low-end torque than us so if you catch one with his RPMs down you can get the jump.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts