Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. So I'm on my way to a friends house when I see this nice clean (2000-2003) M5 coming up behind me. I just knew in my head he was down for some fun. There was a car next to me so we couldn't line up, so I decide to be a nice guy and speed up a bit. Well next thing I know this beamer is on my ass!! I was in 4th and downshifted to 3rd :driving: and hit it! ...I looked behind me and it almost looked like he was about to run me over. It seemed like he would hit it and let off and hit it again and let off inches from my bumper.
I was impressed I couldn't pull away!! Damn!! Instantly he comes from behind me and gets on my right and he starts pulling on me!! wtf!! damn again.
We quickly shut it down as we came up to slower traffic real fast.
It was a very quick race and he probably had me by maybe 1/2 car to a car lenth. WOW!! We did not have a chance to talk at all and all I saw was a nice set of polished mufflers. He was by himself and me with two other people. He got stuck a few cars behind me in traffic and turned at the light, but not before sticking out his arm and giving me a nice wave. I waved out of my sunroof. lol :bigthumb: My only regret is not downshifting to 2nd. From 4th to 3rd felt kinda slow like I was in the wrong gear. The only mod to my car is (what I believe to be) a JBA cat back exhaust.:rocker:

What do you guys think? I want to believe he wasn't stock.:D:confused:

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
Wikipedia: Quote

The E39 M5 had a highly tuned V8 engine based on the M62 engine called the S62, which displaced 4.9 litres and produced 294 kW (400 PS; 394 bhp). The engine featured a 7000 rpm redline, Double-VANOS, which varies the intake and exhaust valves for both cylinder banks, and individual throttle butterflies for each of the cylinders, allowing for a much faster engine response time.

There's no way you can win with a stock R/T.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I don't think I have ever gone toe-to-toe with an M5. It seems like the only time BMWs mess with me is when they try to pass me in a merge lane (is this a BMW thing?). To date, this menuever hasn't worked out well for any of them.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

The E39 M5 had a highly tuned V8 engine based on the M62 engine called the S62, which displaced 4.9 litres and produced 294 kW (400 PS; 394 bhp). The engine featured a 7000 rpm redline, Double-VANOS, which varies the intake and exhaust valves for both cylinder banks, and individual throttle butterflies for each of the cylinders, allowing for a much faster engine response time.

I think he as an SRT. And those BMWs are NICE! But I always imagined an SRT taking one of those.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yea so I have a SRT8. I'm just thinking it woulda been a different story had I downshifted to 2nd instead of third. Kinda caught me off guard.
I searched and their 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times are pretty even.
I'm def. not babying my beast, but I also didn't wanna risk dropping the tranny. :driving::driving: BUT, if I could do it all over again I would've dropped it to 2nd! :rocker::rocker::rocker: (it's under warranty!):bigthumb::alfdance:

·
Registered
585 Posts
You definitely should've dropped down to 2nd gear in either autostick or if your were in Drive, your car should kick down in to 2nd gear if its below about 63MPH and you punch it. I try and stay away from doing 3rd gear pulls, unless your well into the 4k range on the tach. Much better to slow down some and drop down into 2nd....this is where the SRT8's shine from about 50-63MPH.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
The scary thing is the BMW would perform even better on a twisty road. I am a real fan of M-suspension....hell I am a fan of the total M-package!

I consider it an honor for a car like an M5 to race a SRT8. Our cars are much much cheaper but can really hang there performance-wise. Sure our cars aren't nearly as refined, but we stand out more in a crowd with the muscular looks.

I still think the M5 is the ultimate car on the road, period. What can't it do? Its fast, handles awesomely, awesome brakes, luxurious, comfortable, and it is a status symbol.

I know when I bought my SRT8 I considered it a "poor-mans" M5. We have 90% of the car at 40% of the price.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The scary thing is the BMW would perform even better on a twisty road. I am a real fan of M-suspension....hell I am a fan of the total M-package!

I consider it an honor for a car like an M5 to race a SRT8. Our cars are much much cheaper but can really hang there performance-wise. Sure our cars aren't nearly as refined, but we stand out more in a crowd with the muscular looks.

I still think the M5 is the ultimate car on the road, period. What can't it do? Its fast, handles awesomely, awesome brakes, luxurious, comfortable, and it is a status symbol.

I know when I bought my SRT8 I considered it a "poor-mans" M5. We have 90% of the car at 40% of the price.

I agree with you i LOVE the M5's i Just wish i could afford one. I was at drag races last Friday and there was a an M5 KILLING everything. GAWD those cars are beasts. Sounded so nice

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

I like the fact that my Charger feels more "raw" than my friend's 335i and Evo X. Sure his Evo may hang with me in a drag race, but when he rode in my R/T all he could say is WOW. Told me he wished his car could slam his head into the seat like that and power around turns with the rear end just kinda' hangin' out there, spinning the tires like crazy. Each car is different, really, and even BBC's overly-critical Top Gear loved the SRT8 package (though it was on a Challenger) due to the unwieldiness of it.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I agree with you i LOVE the M5's i Just wish i could afford one. I was at drag races last Friday and there was a an M5 KILLING everything. GAWD those cars are beasts. Sounded so nice
And these are designed as track cars not drag race cars. So they are out of their element at the strip and still do well.

At times I miss my M3, but the SRT8 is far more car overall.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what I didn't know till just now is that the tranny will upshift itself if you redline it in autostick. DAMN!! Now I'm thinking it would have been a different outcome!!
can't win them all that's for sure, but whoever is on the list next is going to pay! dearly. LOL

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
and even BBC's overly-critical Top Gear loved the SRT8 package (though it was on a Challenger) due to the unwieldiness of it.
You should watch Top Gear's review of the 300 SRT8. They ran it versus the M5. I think Jeremy called the SRT8, "complete rubbish". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8maP4CB1Nk

Thats why when you watched the show where they drove the Challenger they said Dodge wouldn't give them a car. They didn't want Top gear to rip another one of their cars.

You have to take Top Gear's reviews with a grain of salt. At times (all the time?) they are more interested in entertaining than being unbiased.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You should watch Top Gear's review of the 300 SRT8. They ran it versus the M5. I think Jeremy called the SRT8, "complete rubbish". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8maP4CB1Nk

Thats why when you watched the show where they drove the Challenger they said Dodge wouldn't give them a car. They didn't want Top gear to rip another one of their cars.

You have to take Top Gear's reviews with a grain of salt. At times (all the time?) they are more interested in entertaining than being unbiased.
I had no idea about the 300 SRT8; that's really unfortunate. I thought it was hilarious that Dodge wouldn't give them a car, so they went and bought one. And they seemed pleased with it, but then again, Jeremy Clarkson said he'd "never own" a ZR1.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thats not a fair fight at all. For that one they should have used the G8 GXP its base off the M5 and its still half the price. Still the 300c for the price is one hell of a bargain. Dont u love how they have to use way more expensive cars to flex there European muscle. Pathetic. Btw op good job keep up with that m5 u did well nothing to be ashamed of thats a 100k car you are playing with:bigthumb:

·
Registered
481 Posts
well, u wont be able to pull away from an M5. they are very powerful and even a modded RT wont be able to do that. an SRT would be pretty much equal and can take the race. AMG and M powered cars are so fast! even the VW R36 took off an SRT8 Chrysler C300 easliy on youtube and its only 300Hp.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well, you can't say modded R/T's cant hang, because you can mod a r/t pretty heavily and be WICKED fast. I think you mean bolt-on's R/T's can't, and SRt-8's are good races.

And FYI: they dont sell the VW R36 here in the states, stock they do a 5.6 0-60, and youtube videos are great - but take them with a HUGE grain of salt. All that video means is that in THAT race, in THOSE exact cars that was the result.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
very nice.......i love it! But dont let Ddaddy read this thread, you will get your a$$ chewed

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Nice run man - unfortunatley even an srt has no chance against an m5. those things are f-ing animals. and cost about twice as much. although it is not often you run across a cool bimmer driver, usually they are snobs and blow you off. this dude definatley bought his car for what it was made for, kickin arse, and was a true driver.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
id liek to go up against an m3 ,an m5 or even an m6

1 - 20 of 21 Posts