Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

New to the Hemi engine so this may be a stupid question, but I notice that when the car is idiling in drive during stops I feel a slight shaking. Is this normal??? - just a muscle car shake from the engine??? I think it is probably normal, but just wanted to check what the experts thought.

Thanks all!!

Tom

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Mine does it on occasion - normally more noticeable when the engine is in 'warm-up'. I have not had any vibration that has worried me - and sometimes she does have a wobble on! :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
My Daytona shakes while sitting at a light sometimes, I like it, it reminds me that I have a Hemi.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
the shake is fine by me...but once in a while the charger hick-up's? almost feels like a surge of some kind. this was also discussed on here a while ago. has anyone found out what makes it do that?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys - I know alot of you say you like it, but do you think there should be a shake at idle??? Is it the nature of the beast or is this something that should be adjusted??? Could we be getting better performance if it didn't shake?? Could it be a misfire?? - just throwing out some thoughts.

T

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Unless it throws a code, I'm not too worried.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Guys - I know alot of you say you like it, but do you think there should be a shake at idle??? Is it the nature of the beast or is this something that should be adjusted??? Could we be getting better performance if it didn't shake?? Could it be a misfire?? - just throwing out some thoughts.

T
Well - lets look at it logically.

There is a huge crank with 8 con-rods attached to 8 pistons, which are sliding up and down 8 bores. With all this rotating and reciprocating mass, there is going to be a little wiggle going on, as individual power strokes are not going to be perfectly the same (especially on the cold start) so small amounts of 'acceleration' and 'deceleration' of the assembly is going to occur. Now because this is not a small amount of moving material, any 'slow downs' and 'speed ups' are going to be noticeable because of the inertia within the system.

So yes - with this amount of metal twirling around, I would not expect it to be totally smooth. And yes, there will be the odd non-complete burn of fuel, or difference in the cylinder pressure. What is clear, is that the system as it is today is far better than those of yesteryear. That means less vibration, less misfires (or partial misfires) and less wasted fuel.

And no - performance really would be affected as the shaking is at idle (IMHO). :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should I mention it to the dealer??? ....Seen some other threads that had this same issue and some got resolved some didn't??

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Get a Shaker Hood, and you'll feel right at home!

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
As long as you can hear the engine noise burble in sync with the shaking, and others (say at a stoplight) can hear it, then all is well. Once that shaking and burbling stops, then you know you're in trouble, because you've traded your Hemi for a Camry.

·
Registered
303 Posts
How many miles do you have? Could be misfiring and you might need a tune-up ( new plugs ). Rt's should get them once you hit the 30,000 mark. Just a shot in the dark.
S.D.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got the car - only 350 miles on it - thats why I am thinking I just might not be use to it. It is just a slight shake when idiling at stops that I can feel basically from the seat. I was worried about misfire as well, but it seems like this is just a normal occurence with the charger from what everyone is posting. Either that or all of us have the same problem - lol!!!

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Just got the car - only 350 miles on it - thats why I am thinking I just might not be use to it. It is just a slight shake when idiling at stops that I can feel basically from the seat. I was worried about misfire as well, but it seems like this is just a normal occurence with the charger from what everyone is posting. Either that or all of us have the same problem - lol!!!
The same 'trait'.... ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I noticed the same thing when I got my '07 R/T last week. To me it felt like a misfire. My car also came up from SC and it could have been crap gas in the tank. I burned out that tank of gas and it was still there.

I asked the guys at Dodge about it and they said it was "normal." I have heard a couple of people say that it is just the cam in these things.

The shake is annoying in my opinion. You get used to it after a while though.

If you pop the hood you will notice that it is definitely the engine doing it... not something stupid like an exhaust or body mount problem. I thought maybe a engine mount was unhappy as well...

I hooked my scantool up to the car and it is not throwing ANY codes. So... I guess it is okay.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well - I called the dealer and the service guy said yes that the chargers do have a slight shake when idiling. He said that the on board diagnostics are so sensitive that if there was a misfire or if something was wrong the engine malfunction light would come on. Is that true???

T

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Well - I called the dealer and the service guy said yes that the chargers do have a slight shake when idiling. He said that the on board diagnostics are so sensitive that if there was a misfire or if something was wrong the engine malfunction light would come on. Is that true???

T
Yes - the engine management system monitors many different parameters and if anything critical, or potantially damaging does occur, HAL throws a wobbly and lets you know. If it's really bad, the management system throws the car into 'limp home' mode. You'll know when that happens - cos it won't want to do much of anything..... (limited speeds, no gearchanging etc).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts