Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Don't get Goodyear tires. Look at BFGoodrich, Hankook Ventus or Firestones (Firehawks?).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Nothing wrong with Goodyear tires, as long as you buy the right set. If you want a tire that you intend to use for performance, you need to buy the performance tire. I had Goodyears on my Steeda Mustang and they weren't bad. You can't blame an entire brand if you pick the wrong tire for your intended use. The key is to buy the tire that matches what you want it to do. For example don't by an all season, and expect to to handle like an ultra performance, or don't buy a track tire and expect it to handle a corner in the rain.

That said, the best tire I had on that Mustang was the Firestone Firehawk. I had that car for 15 years, and had many different tires on it Dunlop, Perrelli, Goodyear, Firestone, and Hankook (or some rice brand like that). The Firehawks were just plain amazing. The gripped no matter what the road was like. Granted, I didn't drive it in foul weather, so damp roads were about the worst it would see, but they still gripped better than all the others, that were driven under the same conditions.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Nothing wrong with Goodyear tires, as long as you buy the right set. If you want a tire that you intend to use for performance, you need to buy the performance tire. I had Goodyears on my Steeda Mustang and they weren't bad. You can't blame an entire brand if you pick the wrong tire for your intended use. The key is to buy the tire that matches what you want it to do. For example don't by an all season, and expect to to handle like an ultra performance, or don't buy a track tire and expect it to handle a corner in the rain.

That said, the best tire I had on that Mustang was the Firestone Firehawk. I had that car for 15 years, and had many different tires on it Dunlop, Perrelli, Goodyear, Firestone, and Hankook (or some rice brand like that). The Firehawks were just plain amazing. The gripped no matter what the road was like. Granted, I didn't drive it in foul weather, so damp roads were about the worst it would see, but they still gripped better than all the others, that were driven under the same conditions.
Last time I bought Goodyears for my truck (Ram 1500 Daytona). Got all season WRANGLER HPs to replace the worn set with OE tires. I couldn't get any traction in the rain with full tread (ran them for 10,000 miles before I traded the truck for my charger and I never got better traction). And now on my Charger I have the Goodyear Assurance tires and they are all seasons (the only reason I have them is because when I bought the car January 2013 they had just put brand new tires on). They did well for the season (even in snow) but they are kind of iffy, but have not given me many problems. I prefer other brands over Goodyear, in the past they were an excellent supplier and something changed.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Last time I bought Goodyears for my truck (Ram 1500 Daytona). Got all season WRANGLER HPs to replace the worn set with OE tires.....
The Wrangle HP is what they use stock, and they SUCK. They're a highway tire (HP, stands for Highway Performance), and they are good for nothing other than long life. Way too hard, with no water channeling tread, so they're awful in the rain, snow, or any other condition besides dry asphalt. My '12 came with the Goodyear Silent Armor (it's a AT tire, on the Outdoorsman), and it's a much better tire. Selecting the correct tire for your use is just as important as selecting the correct brand. If you intend to utilize the performance capabilities of the Charger (not that it's a race car, but it performs better than the old K cars), you need to pick a tire that's designed with performance in mind. Like most other tire companies, Goodyear does make such a tire, they just don't put them on from the factory. I'm not trying to say that other brands don't offer a better tire, I'm just saying I wouldn't completely rule out Goodyear all together. I do agree with you though that the Firestone Firehawk is a good tire to consider. I was very pleased with them, and would buy them over the GY Eagle.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The Wrangle HP is what they use stock, and they SUCK. They're a highway tire (HP, stands for Highway Performance), and they are good for nothing other than long life. Way too hard, with no water channeling tread, so they're awful in the rain, snow, or any other condition besides dry asphalt. My '12 came with the Goodyear Silent Armor (it's a AT tire, on the Outdoorsman), and it's a much better tire. Selecting the correct tire for your use is just as important as selecting the correct brand. If you intend to utilize the performance capabilities of the Charger (not that it's a race car, but it performs better than the old K cars), you need to pick a tire that's designed with performance in mind. Like most other tire companies, Goodyear does make such a tire, they just don't put them on from the factory. I'm not trying to say that other brands don't offer a better tire, I'm just saying I wouldn't completely rule out Goodyear all together. I do agree with you though that the Firestone Firehawk is a good tire to consider. I was very pleased with them, and would buy them over the GY Eagle.
And my truck had 275s so it was even more surface area of useless tire. I have noticed the stock tires are usually just for long life and offer little to no performance. I think the Goodyears make okay tires, the F1s are good; Kuhmo Ecstas are alright, Yokos do the job; but not much beats Firestone for their price:quality ratio. I do like BFGoodrich's as well.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Shots you liked the firehawks? The came stock on my R&T and they were the worst tire I've ever had! They had poor dry traction, very noisy, and were down right scary in the rain. I finally got fed up and bought the Michelin pilot super sports before the tires had 10k on them.

Tons of guys here love the BFG Sport Comp 2s and others really like the Cooper Zeon RS3-A. If you're looking for a dedicated summer tire I would go with the Super Sports or Nitto Invos. For all season I would go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s or the BFG Sport Comp 2s.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
And my truck had 275s so it was even more surface area of useless tire.....
Ha ha, yup those what I had on my '07 Ram. 275/60/20 Goodyear Wrangler HP. Complete crap for anything but longevity.

Shots you liked the firehawks? The came stock on my R&T and they were the worst tire I've ever had! They had poor dry traction, very noisy, and were down right scary in the rain. I finally got fed up and bought the Michelin pilot super sports before the tires had 10k on them......
Wow really? I loved them. I had the exact opposite review of them, in that they were super quite, and gripped very well wet or dry. I'm also not sure which Firehawks they put on the Charger, but I would suspect they'd use the all season version (Firehawk GT), which aren't as "sticky" as the summer only tires. It's been years ago, but I think they were called Firehawk F1, or Firehawk Formula, or something like that, which they apparently don't make any more. The closest I can find that looks like them on tirerack are the Firehawk Wide Oval, and Bridgstone Potenza.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I would bet that WHEN the tires are manufactured has a lot to do with polar opposite reviews. Seems that is the case with every tire that I've read up on. Some love them while others hate them. Could Quality Control be an issue and inferior materials from one supplier to the next, even though it's the same tire?
Hmmmmm..........

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Ha ha, yup those what I had on my '07 Ram. 275/60/20 Goodyear Wrangler HP. Complete crap for anything but longevity.

Wow really? I loved them. I had the exact opposite review of them, in that they were super quite, and gripped very well wet or dry. I'm also not sure which Firehawks they put on the Charger, but I would suspect they'd use the all season version (Firehawk GT), which aren't as "sticky" as the summer only tires. It's been years ago, but I think they were called Firehawk F1, or Firehawk Formula, or something like that, which they apparently don't make any more. The closest I can find that looks like them on tirerack are the Firehawk Wide Oval, and Bridgstone Potenza.

Ah see that must have been it...they were all seasons. When I looked them up (Firehawk GT) they had horrible reviews. I never saw a dedicated summer tire under the firehawk label.

They were hard as a rock, tread wear of 400...but that's what you get with all season. I can run summers year 'round where I live so I dumped them ASAP.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts