Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I went to the dealer the other day to get a few things taken care of under warranty, the service adviser and I were talking a bit and after hearing I had a Borla exhaust, asked "have you ever heard of the Predator?" now, I had heard about it before, along with all the other plug and play programmers out on the market, but just never really gave it too much thought...until he started talking about it. Soo I started doing a little research of my own, and now I'm really seriously contemplating taking the leap.

Of course a few questions came to my mind, and I figured who better to help answer them than fellow charger owners. So here we go: I'm currently using 89 octane on my 09 rt awd. I have the Mopar cai and Mopar/Borla cat-back exhaust on it. I've noticed there are no specific tunes to 89 octane, so I thought about switching to 87 and getting a little more bang for my buck (kinda). I'd ultimately just like a little more power and response, and if I can squeeze a bit more fuel economy out of it while I'm at it, well then I'm all for that too.

Does anyone care to weigh in? Suggestions? Experiences? (is anyone still reading this? :D)

·
Registered
705 Posts
I had my Diablo for 3 years now and its the best mod I had done to my car. I'm pretty heavily modded now so I'm using a custom tune but when I first got it I uploaded the 93 cai performance tune and I noticed a difference. Then the next day I adjusted a few things like the tranny settings , tstat settings, rev settings and a few other things and my wife got the car sideways by accident leaving her job

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yeah you'll have to switch to premium fuel. As far as gas mileage goes it's gonna decrease because like most people you won't be able to stay out of it. It'll respond better, sound better, and overall run better. If you set the cruise on the interstate and just let it hum...yeah the gas mileage is better. But around town with the occasional Mustang to be eaten, it falls off a bit.

Yes it is worth the money and you should contact one of the forum vendors to see if they have a package deal on a predator/trinity and a CAI. I waited almost five years to do mine and now it feels like I'm driving a different car. I let my girlfriend drive it the other day and pulling out of the parking lot she hammered it and got sideways. She was a little shocked. You'll notice the difference, and it is money well spent just be forewarned you'll wanna do headers, thermostat, and then a custom tune to really make it sing.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Definitely buy one. The Predator rocks in any Hemi. It is a mandatory purchase if you ask me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just installing the 93 cai tune was a HUGE difference in my car. I was skeptical as you are and it took a while to finally order one. It is truly amazing what it does seeing this is just gas engine tuning. I am used to older gas tuners that yielded a few ponies; a waste of money to me; but the hemi is really woke up by a predator.
I can roast the tires from a 25 mph roll n 1st gear and give a healthy bark of the tires on the 1-2 shift now. If I drive respectable I get 24-25 mpg avg of 40-45 mph speeds. The highway trips are in the 27 mpg range and if I get tuck in a lot of traffic I drop to 18-19.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
If you are looking to save $2 per tank of fuel, maybe more power isn't what you want. Trade in the Charger on a smart for2.

I run the 93 tune, it costs me less than an extra $2 for a fillup.... I get far more than $2 worth of fun out of the car.

I really don't like driving my R/T without the tune, even my daughter can tell when the tune has been taken out of the car.... from the passenger seat.

C'mon... you know you didn't buy a new Charger R/T AWD because it gets great gas mileage! You got it for the smiles per gallon!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So with my borla cat back setup and the cai, I'll probably just switch to 89 octane to 91 and use the 91 cai tune and I should be in good shape, no?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think you will be happier with the 93, try both and see what you like

·
Registered
338 Posts
I went straight for the 93 when I got mine. I'm waiting impatiently on my aeroforce gauge so I can install my custom tune. If the custom is anything like the 93 tune, it'll make it a completely different car.

My girlfriends Dad is a man of few words. He drives an 06 Daytona just like mine. I let him drive it and said "don't be afraid to get on it. It won't hurt my feelings." He just said okay and proceeded to bump it down in autostick and stand on it. When it crossed 100mph he grinned and said "Yeah. I like that."

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea so I've put some more thought into it, and I've decided that since where I work only has 87, 89, and 93, and there's only a 10¢ gap between 89 and 93, that I'm gonna get myself a predator and a oil catch can for my birthday, load up a 93 cai tune, and raise some hell. Haha. I'm getting excited now just thinking about it. :D

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
I just installed one in my v6 yesterday at first I will not lie I was nervous. It went like a charm and Let me tell you it's worth every penny. If it's for a hemi then don't even think twice. BUY IT you will not be sorry!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts