Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very soon I am going to start construction on a fiberglass box, but it will be my first. I plan to go with a JL 10W0, if anyone has feedback that would be great. The box will be a wedge shape in the drivers side corner facing the passenger rear of the car. We already have exact dimensions, but just want to clear a few things up.

1) Do the sides and bottom need to be MDF? Can they be all fiberglass?

2) How do I need to make the area where the sub mounts? IOW do I need a wooden ring and supports or can it just be fiberglass?

3) Any tips for using resin/matte for a beginner? How many layers does it need to be?

4) We plan on buying a few blocks of dense foam (the kind you can shape and sand) to use as a mold. Any problems with this method? Can anyone give any suggestions for an easier method?

Sorry for the length, just wanted to make sure I included everything. I appreciate any input at all.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump...Bump...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, and welcome!!

anyone else have any tips?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nother bump...anyone have website suggestions or someone I could PM with questions?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The box can be all fiberglass. First use two layers of good masking tape to tape off the area and use a drop cloth. Taping in a strap is a good idea leaving about 9" on both sides to help pop out the mold.Mark with a black marker the shape of the box you want home depot sells resin and fiberglass it's not the best but it will do. the glass shoud be a 1/4" thick,you may need 4 or5 layers of glass depending on the thickness of the mat. when the mold is done pop it out clean up the edges and trim it to the shape. Make a wood ring from mdf and glue it in place using thin strips of wood to hold it in place. Then rap fleece over the front of the box using spay glue to hold it to the fiber glass back. Resin the fleece. don't resin more then a1/4 "on to the mold then add a layer or two of glass to the inside . sand, carpet, enjoy.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, that was very helpful!! I will be sure to try and make a write up when I finally get the $$ together to start the build!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts