Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove both an SE and an R/T today. I was disappointed in the lack of low-end power in the R/T. I have read that when you floor it, the computer adds opens the throttle gently, rather than opening it instantaneously as it would if it was controlled by a cable. Supposedly this is because the rear end is not up to 390 lb/ft coming on all at once.

Is this true? And if so, is this something that can be changed with a chip? If you changed it, how long would the rear end hold up?

I am struggling with the decision of which model to get. I prefer the SE interior, but I would like the V8 engine. The problem is that the R/T just does not seem as quick as its power rating suggest it should be and isn't really all that satisfying to drive. If a chip could change this without causing reliability issues, I would feel much better about buying the R/T.

·
Registered
619 Posts
you dont have to take in from me but once you start driving on a daily basis it seems to start opening up and getting quicker. this is what happened in my magnum when i first bought it and the same goes for my charger (they are both R/T's). Believe it or Not. :happy:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Dutch said:
The problem is that the R/T just does not seem as quick as its power rating suggest it should be and isn't really all that satisfying to drive.
It sounds like the SRT-8 might be more your speed (pun intended).

·
Registered
630 Posts
I believe rogelio made the correct point. Since the computer is controlling the throttle, Dodge programmed in the ability for it to "learn" how a driver likes to drive the car. It will learn fairly quickly that when the driver stomps on the peddle he/she is meaning for it to go WOT and will adjust to do more rapidly. I also believe that if the car seems sluggish there is a way to "teach" it with some simple key on, key off, throttle pedal sequence that will reset it to a standard feel.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You can't be saying that the SE and R/T feel so similar that it's indistinguishable. You'd have to be mad.

·
Registered
36 Posts
CO-Charger said:
I believe rogelio made the correct point. Since the computer is controlling the throttle, Dodge programmed in the ability for it to "learn" how a driver likes to drive the car.
I wish mine would learn alot quicker. I spend most of my time sitting in traffic, it isn't unusual for me to have a 1 hour commute over about a 25 mile drive. So I spend alot of time trailing slow moving vehicles. But.. when I'm not blocked by traffic, I drive more like normal. But my R/T is very sluggish. I'm not very happy with the performance of this car at all due to this.

dale

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jvs60 said:
You can't be saying that the SE and R/T feel so similar that it's indistinguishable. You'd have to be mad.
Well, for about the first 60 feet it feels pretty close, but after that no way. I'm not doubting that the R/T is much faster if you put a stopwatch on it, but it does not feel all that fast. The accelleration builds slowly and gently, it sort of sneaks up on you. I want it to snap my neck.

The SRT is definately not for me. I'd kill myself in that thing.

I've never owned a car with electronic throttle control. I'm used to the throttle obeying my commands. I'm glad it can learn. Thanks for the info.

One more question, though. The literature I've read says the Charger can tow 2,000 pounds regardless of engine. I can't believe that's true - both engines have to be capable of towing much more. Does anyone know anything about this? I expect I may want to use my Charger to tow a pop-up camper someday, and that would weigh more than 2,000.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Traction control and torque management will make a car feel sluggish, need to figure a way to disable them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is an interesting thread.

I drove an R/T myself and am close to taking the plunge to order one with the Road and Track Package. When I test drove the car I noticed it was a little sluggish when you stomped the accelerator, just as described in this thread. After I was finishing the test drive the salesman indicated the traction control to me. I was assuming that the sluggishness when taking off was related to the traction control. If its not the traction control, I think I need to re-evaluated if I really want one.

Can anyone else chime in with some real world experience, good and bad related to throttle response from a dead stop?

·
Registered
245 Posts
When I test drove an R/T, I tried hard acceleration with and without the traction control on.
With it on the tires made a little chirp sound and the car pulled away as hard as it could without breaking traction.
Without traction control, I hit it about 3/4 throttle and lit the tires up.
SOOOO...I think the traction control might have a little to do with this feeling of sluggishness. (IMHO)

·
Registered
331 Posts
e42294 said:
When I test drove the car I noticed it was a little sluggish when you stomped the accelerator ...
I guess it's all relative. Compared to the turbo lag on my S60, the R/T is like lightning! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
rogelio aguilera said:
you dont have to take in from me but once you start driving on a daily basis it seems to start opening up and getting quicker. this is what happened in my magnum when i first bought it and the same goes for my charger (they are both R/T's). Believe it or Not. :happy:

I agree. I have about 1500 miles on mine now, and the car has slowly gained a bite. I've read where it can take as much as 5K miles for the motor to fully break in, and I am beginning to believe it. Just with 1500 miles, I'm getting a noticable improvement in response, and power .. Makes me love that car even more.

At 3 or 4K, I plan on taking it to the strip to see what she's got.

·
Registered
8 Posts
going to test drive a black one this weekend, and possibly trade in my wifes car for an RT.

·
Registered
39 Posts
e42294 said:
This is an interesting thread.

I drove an R/T myself and am close to taking the plunge to order one with the Road and Track Package. When I test drove the car I noticed it was a little sluggish when you stomped the accelerator, just as described in this thread. After I was finishing the test drive the salesman indicated the traction control to me. I was assuming that the sluggishness when taking off was related to the traction control. If its not the traction control, I think I need to re-evaluated if I really want one.

Can anyone else chime in with some real world experience, good and bad related to throttle response from a dead stop?
I have no problems "getting on it"...

·
Registered
662 Posts
My Charger only feels "sluggish" compared to my old Vette. But then again, it weighs a lot more and has much more computer control. However, compared to other vehicles on the road, the R/T is not sluggish by any means. The throttle tip-in is odd (slow) compared to older cable set-ups, but it'll get up and go when you want it. Turn off the esp and it'll spin the tires. Again, not as long as the Vette will, but it can do it.

In short, I'd say the R/T has a "modern feel" to it. It's more controlled and cautious as opposed to the "fly by the seat of your pants and pray" feel we're more used to with this type of engine.

:cool:

·
Registered
619 Posts
well, what i think you test drivers are gonna have to do is turn off the ESP button throw the bad lad in first gear with the autoshift and gun it till it makes you happy then buy the one next to it on the lot. once you do this you should feel better about the car. :happy:

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Dutch... couple things...

If you dont want the salesman BS when you go to buy... let me know and I will give you a number to call for a sweet deal here locally, who I arranged my deal with...

Dutch said:
One more question, though. The literature I've read says the Charger can tow 2,000 pounds regardless of engine. I can't believe that's true - both engines have to be capable of towing much more. Does anyone know anything about this? I expect I may want to use my Charger to tow a pop-up camper someday, and that would weigh more than 2,000.
Can the engines tow more... yep.... can the rest of the drivetrain, and chassis handle it... nope...

the engine is a small part of what tow rating a vehicle has...

·
Registered
85 Posts
do you think this is for real ?? throttle calibra. if so my se will be all it can be!!! :happy:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts