Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to pull the trigger and get the headers, but I have several questions before I make my final decision. Is it worth the bang for the buck? I have Magnaflow single cat back exhaust, will the headers easily bolt up to it. Does the kit come with all bolts and gaskets that are needed? There is a heat shield on the stock exhaust, how much is heat a factor to the engine compartment without the ceramic liner? Do the headers sound good? I want more of an aggressive sound. Performance wise, I have heard dyno tests haven't proved that the headers improve anything, but have you done runs at the track and noticed improvements? What about kills? If I do get the headers, is there anyone that lives in my area that can help me install them, I'll buy the beer of your choice, unless you are under 21. Anyone who has the headers on their V6 LX car, please reply.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Well as you may know mine are on order (finally in transit actually) and I've asked many of these questions myself so here's what I know...

Is it worth the bang for the buck?
Everyone who's put them in likes them... some folks neeed a few days to grow to fully appreciate 'em though. And the power unfortunately doesn't seem to go completely where it's neeed, in the low RPMs. Can't have everything ;)

I have Magnaflow single cat back exhaust, will the headers easily bolt up to it.
Headers bolt to engine block and cats... so your cat-back is not involved in the install.

Does the kit come with all bolts and gaskets that are needed?
Apparently they come with "header bolts" but unless you want to re-tighten a week after install you need to get your own "locking header bolts" according to Moondoggie over at LXForum (if I recall correctly). I don't think they come with new gaskets...

There is a heat shield on the stock exhaust, how much is heat a factor to the engine compartment without the ceramic liner?
Heat is a factor... that's why on Spoon's advice I got mine coated. One member managed to keep the driver's side heat shield on because he was concerned that the starter was a bit too close for comfort with the shield not installed. When I look at the headers I don't see all that much of a difference in size or shape so when (if) I do this job myself I will go to great lengths to keep both shields in... even if I have to re-shape them. My car is my daily driver and I want it to last... can't afford to have stuff falling apart prematurely, I've seen what age and heat can do to things under the hood.

Do the headers sound good? I want more of an aggressive sound.
Me too but most folks have reported very little if any difference in sound... (always deeper and richer if any).

Performance wise, I have heard dyno tests haven't proved that the headers improve anything, but have you done runs at the track and noticed improvements? What about kills?
Nobody's reported any fresh kills or quarter mile time improvements yet... but many reports of fairly dramatic performance improvements when already moving.

If I do get the headers, is there anyone that lives in my area that can help me install them, I'll buy the beer of your choice, unless you are under 21. Anyone who has the headers on their V6 LX car, please reply.
Good idea, I might get a buddy or two with longer and more slender fingers to lend a hand for my install ;)

Well... I hope I didn't just re-hashi info that you already knew about ! Excited about my headers, that's for sure.

·
Registered
246 Posts
my ceramic coated headers just arrived today. I'll have to wait till this saturday to install them, but I will give you my impressions as soon as I have them on. I plan to take video/sound of my exhaust pre and post install. If there are any noticeable differences, i'll be sure to post the results on here for you all to observe. I'll also look and see how well the heat shields fit, and maybe try and pry those on the new ones, but i may not even bother since I did go the ceramic route.

·
Registered
890 Posts
do some 0-60 tests before and after

·
Registered
246 Posts
that can be done...what is the recommended method? stopwatch? i really have no idea.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Any of you have any sound clips with headers? I'd like to hear a v6 with headers.

·
Registered
334 Posts
that can be done...what is the recommended method? stopwatch? i really have no idea.
two people with stopwatches and estimate/round
do at least 3-5 trials

·
Registered
246 Posts
i'm gonna give the car about a week to settle in and learn the system before I do any 0-60's. I didnt get an initial 0-60 just because my install started so late and i didnt want to have to deal with the waiting time of having the engine cool off.

·
Registered
334 Posts
i just ordered mine too
i'll try and fit some 0-60s if i can find some time between studyin for my midterms... already i know

·
Registered
503 Posts
my ceramic coated headers just arrived today
Nice ! Mine are due tomorrow !!!

Getting a bit nervous about the self-install however.. I have short stubby fingers :p Think I'm gonna hit up my exhaust shop for a quote today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
503 Posts
they have you around $400 lex!.......depends on your shop/hour.....but it takes about 12-14 hours according to muffler man.
Well.. everyone so far has got the install done in 4 to 5 hours but that's on a cold engine... but if you drive to the shop they'll want to let your car cool a few hours before touching this.

This is, in fact, one of the top reasons I'm planning to put these on myself... I hate waiting around without my car !

·
Registered
27 Posts
^^good point....but its such a tight fit you might have more trouble than you think.

LOL....a day isnt Sh!t..........my car has been goin on 5 weeks in the shop.

·
Registered
172 Posts
it is maybe a little off-topic, but I have to let it go......it seems that Muffler Shops or any other Garage are kind of Criminals when they tell you that they need a full day to install one set of headers, that's just ridicules.
A friend of mine installed in a period of about 8 hours Headers, ST Coil-overs and Swaybars, sure I was surprised as I got the Phonecall before Supper that the Car is finished, but it shows you that Garages are only there to take them self time to charge you an arm and a leg

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
503 Posts
its such a tight fit you might have more trouble than you think.
Yep I am getting really anxious about this.. will probably cave and bring it to a shop. I have a short fuse and I find the engine bay really cramped in our cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts