Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,I was curious about how fast the charger RT AWDs were? I have driven a few chargers and they are pretty quick for what they are.I have an 05 SRT-4 (and was planning a big turbo kit)but I am considering an AWD Charger next spring- being that I may have alot of traveling in my future and I want something,big,heavy and stout like the charger for the long haul.Don't want something soley RWD or my SRT-4 with 400hp and a high maintenance car.

Do they have gears/shift kits, different types of torque converters for the Chargers yet? I don't plan on running 11s or anything but I still want some get up and go.My s2 SRT-4 has plenty of it but quite honestly I'd feel safer in a bigger car and AWD just in case the weather begins to act up..

suggestions? experience with the RT AWDs would be great input.:grin:
thanks!

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
See my sig for my fastest times (so far), only perf. mods are the intake and exhaust muffler change

As far as I know there are no gear change options for the Charger, expecially the AWD's which would require gear changes in front and rear ... I assume this would be very expensive ...

Some of the regular hi-po parts will fit the AWD too, like heads, cam, anything for the engine, and now there are hi-flow headers, cat converters and full exhaust system that will add some HP.

A guy over on LX has a 392 stroker in his AWD Magnum running 12's at the track spinning the front tires off the line and on the 1-2 shift, but I guess that ended up in a blown transfer case ... :knockout:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ thanks for the input.I wish I had a chance to drive an RT AWD but so far I have only test driven a AWD 300 and Magnum.The get up and go was good enough for daily driving though it wasn't anything truly breathtaking,though they were only the 3.5 v6s lol.I would think the 5.7s 390lbs torque would surely be enough..pretty sure I will keep it stock to keep the warranty work..unless I can get away with a full exhaust system,intake system lol.

In terms of reliability,these cars are pretty stout I am assuming..(??)
this will basically be my highway cruiser for the next few years,I need something that will last and not breakdown on me..no spirited driving or hard launches at the drag strip,nothing like that...I just want something with enough grunt to keep a smile on my face and one that can handle most anything mother nature can throw at me..:grin:

I thought about getting an older Evo or STI but I am tired of small cars and quite honestly,I am growing tired of that scene..I want something bigger and more comfortable lol.Sitting in the seat of a charger/300 feels like sitting in a big ol sofa :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
btw.how is the top end in the 5.7s? I know in my S2 SRT-4 it's pretty quick to get up to about 140 or so before it falls a little short til up to 160. it would be interesting to see how well it would fare in a drag race..at the track of course,my best it a [email protected] with a crappy launch.I could pull better times but i suxors at the tree lol.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I have the SXT/AWD, just turned over 6,000 miles. Very happy with it so far, but haven't had it in the snow yet...

Despite being "only" the 3.5l, I've been very happy with the power of it. :grin: Top end on this is limited to about 116...

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
btw.how is the top end in the 5.7s? I know in my S2 SRT-4 it's pretty quick to get up to about 140 or so before it falls a little short til up to 160. it would be interesting to see how well it would fare in a drag race..at the track of course,my best it a [email protected] with a crappy launch.I could pull better times but i suxors at the tree lol.

Factory speed limiter is set at approx 126 mph (unless you move that up with a Superchips FlashPak or Diablo Predator tuner :D), but at that point you'd have to upgrade the tires too

·
Registered
702 Posts
^^ they were only the 3.5 v6s lol.I would think the 5.7s 390lbs torque would surely be enough
There is a NIGHT and DAY difference between these 2 engines and how these cars drive. Definitely go for the 5.7 if you can afford it. You won't regret spending the extra $$$. You will regret not spending it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Factory speed limiter is set at approx 126 mph (unless you move that up with a Superchips FlashPak or Diablo Predator tuner :D), but at that point you'd have to upgrade the tires too

I wouldn't mind if it had neck snapping torque off the line and was real quick to get up to speed(eventhough maybe lacking in the top end) the skittle on the other hand is the opposite,barely any use out of the lower gears but plenty of top end.:shifty:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a NIGHT and DAY difference between these 2 engines and how these cars drive. Definitely go for the 5.7 if you can afford it. You won't regret spending the extra $$$. You will regret not spending it!
that nearly 400lbs of torque must be real nice.
I used to drive the 3.5s all the time working at a thrifty car rental,they are partially the reason why I want a charger for a long haul cruiser..they are just soo comfortable! It feels like I am driving a truck or something lol.

so the 5.7s only go up to 120ish?! stock?

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
.... so the 5.7s only go up to 120ish?! stock?

The regular R/T (RWD or AWD) is limited to about 126 ... the R/T with R&T and the Daytona's are limited to about 150mph and without the limiter they do close to 160mph ... :clap:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The regular R/T (RWD or AWD) is limited to about 126 ... the R/T with R&T and the Daytona's are limited to about 150mph and without the limiter they do close to 160mph ... :clap:
but with the chip the AWD can go 160 as well? not that I would ever want to go 160 on a regular occasion or anything but :lol:

·
Registered
702 Posts
that nearly 400lbs of torque must be real nice.
I used to drive the 3.5s all the time working at a thrifty car rental,they are partially the reason why I want a charger for a long haul cruiser..they are just soo comfortable! It feels like I am driving a truck or something lol.

so the 5.7s only go up to 120ish?! stock?
The 3.5 feels like a truck, The 5.7 feels as it should...LIKE A BAD ASS, FIRE BREATHING MUSCLE CAR!

While my car was bone stock I did not have the opportunity to let it all out on the road. That being said, I hit 125 easily before I had to slow down. I am curious to know where it tops out on a stock car. Now with my upgrades, I DYING to know my top end...

·
Registered
702 Posts
So, to do a little thread hijacking here....

I have an AWD R/T with Nitto tires, the Diable, and (in a couple of days) an Eibach AWD lowering kit (thanks again for the advice GPWebman :lol:)

So if I plan on doing some fast driving what kind of suspension upgrade is reccomended? Will it work in conjunction with the lowering kit? I was thinking about air shocks, but I think I want to keep both of my nuts, arms, and legs (do you see how much they cost?!).

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
awd 5.7 charger here and it's bad&ss. i always love when people ask me how fast it will go... and then they say, well my honda prelude goes 145 and my response to that...yeah but how long does it take for your car to get up to that speed:smoke: . most of us know the limiter is 126 or so for the regular r/t but how many times are you gonna go that fast and beyond

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
So, to do a little thread hijacking here....

I have an AWD R/T with Nitto tires, the Diable, and (in a couple of days) an Eibach AWD lowering kit (thanks again for the advice GPWebman :lol:)

So if I plan on doing some fast driving what kind of suspension upgrade is reccomended? Will it work in conjunction with the lowering kit? I was thinking about air shocks, but I think I want to keep both of my nuts, arms, and legs (do you see how much they cost?!).
a little thread jacking here too, i've been hearing more negative or lets say problems with the diablo than positive...please let me know what you think when you get it. i've read more than one time that it's more complex even when you just do a preset tune. for example... i've heard of the fans running all the time with the stock thermo and then downshifting in auto having qlitches and such...and this is just on the preset tunes. :knockout:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
awd 5.7 charger here and it's bad&ss. i always love when people ask me how fast it will go... and then they say, well my honda prelude goes 145 and my response to that...yeah but how long does it take for your car to get up to that speed:smoke: . most of us know the limiter is 126 or so for the regular r/t but how many times are you gonna go that fast and beyond
originally I was planning to go big turbo w/400 something hp in my SRT-4 for a while now but after doing alot of research and getting input on people with big turbos,the common theme seems to be a lack of traction-even with 'just' 300-350hp.People blowing out their shift selectors,puncturing oil pans,breaking axels etc. I have seen plenty of videos of them highway racing and no doubt they are a force to be reckon with...how much they are livable is another question lol.it sees like 300 hp on the stocker with full bolt ons is the safest bet in terms of daily drivability but then again,anything other then dry pavement and it becomes and issue..snow..well,you get the idea.
PLENTY of speed..at a time that was really all I was after but after being stranded 150 miles from home at a drag strip in another city..i was kinda questioning my skittle a bit.:cry:

I have a strong feeling that the Charger(stock at least) may not have it up top like the skittle but more then enough in the lower gears and midrange especially with that nearly 400lbs. of torque.If I were to mod, I would do I/E and a semi-built motor,squeezing out at least 450whp and of course the speed limiter cut.oh yes,and suspension mods.I am pretty sure I am done with drag racing but I still want something brutal on the highway...

huh-low..Highway_Charger! :lol:

·
Registered
233 Posts
AWD is nice...A guy on here lqqkout...was pulling 13.7's with a chip and a SRT8 Air Box. My best was 14.1 w/ exhaust and chip, but also had 20in aftermarket rims...they do handle pretty well, but there is a certain degree of body roll on it. So far I've gotten mine up to 143mph, but had to shut her down due to a curve coming up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AWD is nice...A guy on here lqqkout...was pulling 13.7's with a chip and a SRT8 Air Box. My best was 14.1 w/ exhaust and chip, but also had 20in aftermarket rims...they do handle pretty well, but there is a certain degree of body roll on it. So far I've gotten mine up to 143mph, but had to shut her down due to a curve coming up.

nice time in the 1/4.I average 14s as well but that's without a launch so that really kills it for me lol,people have been pulling anything from 13.1 to 13.8 on street tires and 12.9 to 13.0 on slicks.

I think I would be pretty happy with the awd charger,I don't want to make it seem like I plan on going 160 on a regular basis :lol:

but then again I still want the option to go that fast if I wanted to.I would be happy with a 12.5 in the 1/4 and that's about it for mods.:grin: but more importantly something that will last through any season and the long haul...
hhmmm..I am really curious about all that low end torque with awd...:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts