Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok what up fella's? i havent been on the forums lately but i needed to come log in and ask a few questions before i go out and pull the trigger on a new headunit.

do i really have to get a new 08 nazi bezel in order to fit a true double din flat face monitor touchscreen head unit into my 08... i was just gonna use my old alpine flip out from my old 300zx twin turbo and headrest screens that i have has laying around for like 2yrs just to avoid having to buy a 150 dollar piece of plastic and all that jive since its only a single din size, but they are about 5yrs old now and i want a newer version kind with the new version technology in them especially since they dont cost nearly as much as they did 5-7yrs ago.. i paid like $1700 for the head unit alone.. now good ones go for under a grand from what i seen lately and come with nav installed instead of just nav ready.

so my 29th birthday is monday and i figure i would go out and by myself something new for the charger since im basically happy with everything new i did to exterior. tails and new 24's and all the paint matching i has done and so forth. i mean i could either try to find a good deal on a factory nav unit or just get an aftermarket one... i would prefer either really..... any suggestions, and i did find a nice panasonic for like 700 and its a true double din it says.. so does that mean i have to get the 08 nav bezel in order for it to fit properly or can i just dremel my current trim piece or do they sell those headunit casing things in order for them to fit properly on the sides as this one isnt as wide as my factory unit. like on my alpine flip out, it gets inserted into a black case housing thing and then everything fits nice, and the black casing thing has a little storage space underneath that hold like a dvd box or something sliim to fill the space up..... but im confused about the chargers.. do i really need the navi bezel or is there a way around it and which headunit will fit the best without a new bezel piece. i mean if i need one i will just end up buying one if its truly needed but 150bucks for a piece of plastic is red****k and in my eyes its not even worth more than 20bucks... and what kind of wireing harness would i need in order to make an aftermarket head unit hook up right. heard something about a LOCKPIK or something, what is that.. i also want this new set up like just like how they are in my other cars. to be able to play in motion (while driving and the headrest and or visor screens to mimic the head units picture. any help and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. to get my other headuntis to play in motion my installer guys installs a button that i push while i hold the brake down and then release the button and then picture plays. i heard you can just ground that wire though.. is that true?

thanks in advance... and if i really do need that navi piece, anyone got one that they dont need or want and wants to sell it? i heard they even have a carbon fiber one which sounds neat.. mine is currently bright silver with the regular radio from the 2008 with the bluetooth and sirius and aux input on outside corner.. HELP HELP... i wanna buy something within the next week or so.. touchscreen preferred and not a flip put this time around because all the flip outs i have had in the past had to end up getting repaired at some point in time due to the ball bearings coming off track and not allowing the motorized screen to open properly at all times. and that crap is expensive to fix.. last time alpine charged me 175bucks for all new tracks, but sent another detachable face by accident which was like $250. i forget to send mine in with it and i guess they thought they misplaced it, so i have 2 for the one flip out. and the pioneer one costed me $120 to fix.. so this time i want a non flip out....

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
come on fella's.... ive helped out so many members with questions about rims and nitrous and turbos and superchargers and etc so many times and also about installing and all that as well vertical doors and so on. ive helped you guys so many times and now im calling in for your guys's help....

do i really need to buy the navi piece in order to install a true double din touchscreen monitor into my 08. i know the 08's and up have a slightly different bezel as the vents are located differently and the no ash try at bottom.

CAN AN "AFTERMARKET" TRUE DOUBLE DIN SIZE NON FLIP OUT MONITOR HEADUNIT FIT INTO A 2008 THAT CAME WITH THE REGULAR NON NAVI HEADUNIT CD PLAYER WITH BLUETOOTH AND SIRIUS WITH THE BEZEL THAT IT CAME WITH OR DO I NEED TO PURCHASE A NAVI BEZEL?????????? I dont want to spend 150bucks on some piece of plastic if there is a way around it.

Who here has installed a navi system or a double din into a 2008 or up in their chargers? im need some help, and the unit im looking at there is only 1 left it says online on ebay.... i guess i could just go to teh audio shop but i figured i run these questions by you folks first so i dotn look like a retard... obviously audio insnt my speciality or fortay persay... engines and forced inductions are where my talents shine, and you folks already know that so come on and show me some love and point me in the right direction please... id hate to go out and but this thing and it not fit and then have to wait to order the bezel, i just want to knock it all out at one time... so im either gonna get a flat face unit which i prefer or just another flip out or use one of my older ones.... my interior is slacking so some upgrades are much needed so i figure teh audio is the best place to start since the headliner and stuff are already done in suede last month.. then its gonna be some srt seats if i can find them

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Sorry I can't help you but here's a bump to the top :bump:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have an 08se and it accepts a doubledin just fine without getting a new bezel. inside tho you have to shave off or cut out 2 nubs that secure the stock unit, but other than that, its all gravy.

You will need the Dash kit from Metra

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thats a Kenwood DDX-512 by the way.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Look at this pic, it is from an 07 install but the 08 is similar. Notice the 2 white nubs... You will neen to cut those off or shave them down.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK U SO MUCH HOMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats exactly what i was lookin for and wanting to know! so a double din will fit with the stock bezel for the 08's and up....

how much is the metra dash kit thing? is that the piece that fills in teh side parts??? i kinda measured and i know they would be some openings on both sides when installed, and i see on yours that yours is the same way but had plastic pieces that fill the sides in.

and cutting those white things will be no biggie. thanks again, but fill me in on the other points. do i have to get a different wiring harness too? and if so what kind. the unit im looking at has nav and rear cam and that

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and how do you get the screen to say charger???? or will it automatically do it by itself when i plug it in?

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts
As mentioned above, the 2008+ Charger do not use or need a "nav bezel" to install a Double DIN like the 2006-2007 Chargers did!

Just get whatever radio headunit you want and install it.

You will need Metra Dash Kit 95-6511 also!

·
Registered
227 Posts
The hardness will depend on your head unit. I bought everything through crutchfield so they automatically told me which harness i needed. The harness runs about $100-129 (at least it did for my charger, i also put the same deck in my wife's 300 and it needed a harness at about the same cost) so expect that added cost.

The "Charger" boot screen is my own photoshop work. the Kenwood units have the option for a custom boot screen so i made that one.

The Metra part mentioned above is the right part.

What headunit are you lookin at?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
either that new kenwood ddx-514 or the new pioneer one, foget the part number but it starts with an AVX i think

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok i called up my local high end audio shop and they said i need a dash kit, wiring harness, and an antenna adapter and gave me the part# for the wiring harness. however im not sure about the antenna adapter thing. he wants 130 for the harness itself and 25for the dash kit and 23 for antenna adapter.

so i searched for the dash kit by part# and this AMAZON ad came up. are these the exact things i need in order to install a new double din headunit in my 08.. i mean from amazon i can get all three things for less than he wants for the harness alone.

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-6511-Chrysler-Jeep-DDIN/dp/B00133VQWE

please confirm if these are the right parts please.. the harness seems to be right and it is the same part number the audio shop gave me but the antenna adapter thing is stating its for a euro car, vw or bmw..????? is that right???? please confirm i'd rather only pay 90.66 for everything rather than over 175 from the audio shop

1 - 12 of 12 Posts