Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the onboard computer "learns" things from the way a car is driven. Does this also hold true when driven in manual autostick mode? I'm specifically trying to find out if shift points are "learned" or are they set by the chip being used and don't change. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
686 Posts
since you shift the car in Autostick mode the computer does not do anything with shiftpoints . You are the computer

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
The car has its own preset shift points depending on many different factors, including past driving habits, amount of throttle being used, rate of acceleration etc...

In manual mode you aren't by any means going to raise the shift points, you just override the computer's shift points

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
The "past driving habits" aren't so far in the past. As supported by information in the service manuals, the "adaptation" to a more aggressive behaviour occurs pretty much instantaneously and reverts back to "normal" once it determines that you've stopped trying to drive sportily.

Too many people taking the "adaptive" capabilities of our PCMs too far... it's still a dumb controller, there is no intuitive brain that will "bond" with the driver's driving style. Best you'll get is maybe blowing out the carbon off the plugs... but that's going to happen with any car, not just our LXs.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
The "past driving habits" aren't so far in the past. As supported by information in the service manuals, the "adaptation" to a more aggressive behaviour occurs pretty much instantaneously and reverts back to "normal" once it determines that you've stopped trying to drive sportily.

Too many people taking the "adaptive" capabilities of our PCMs too far... it's still a dumb controller, there is no intuitive brain that will "bond" with the driver's driving style. Best you'll get is maybe blowing out the carbon off the plugs... but that's going to happen with any car, not just our LXs.
well i didnt mean like past driving habits from months ago, just recent ones...I thought it was a couple days that it kept track of??

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for clearing this up for me. I had no idea that the computer only utilized short term memory. In any case, I like being the computer when it comes to shift points. It's certainly alot more fun to drive in manual mode.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
well i didnt mean like past driving habits from months ago, just recent ones...I thought it was a couple days that it kept track of??
I think it's on the order of seconds, nothing more. The moment it sees "normal" driving (ie. maybe rates of accelerator pedal travel, maybe other inputs) it drops back down to granny mode instead of the slightly-delayed upshifts.

I don't recall the exact wording in the LX manual but it was something along these lines (I think it was quoted by a member with a username of Trevor, if you search for one of his posts with "manual" in it, the post might come up).

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Riiiight, so the fact that I can go multiple driving minutes in manual mode without really getting on it, then have the car hold shifts to 4000+ in Automatic mode means nothing? I feel like the car is either the hottest Daytona ever put together, or it's learned how I drive. A quarter throttle will result in huge RPMs between shifts on mine, after over a year of "training" with the manual mode. Of course, that's all subjective....

REB

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I think HAL does learn in autostick mode. reason I drive in autostick all the time wind out the gears, hold the rpms longer before shifting and so forth. When I do not the tranny does shift later, meaning it shifts closer to my shift points maybe it's just me and I am on the throttle harder so far it does seem like it does try to mimic my driving in non auto mode

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Seeing that I just recently started driving in autostick, I too would have to say HAL learns how you drive in autostick. When i put it back in drive and drove around for the day, the car shifted as if I was driving in autostick, when stopping at lights, i heard the exhaust "gurgle" down like i was down shifting from 3rd to 1st which I never heard before in drive

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Seeing that I just recently started driving in autostick, I too would have to say HAL learns how you drive in autostick. When i put it back in drive and drove around for the day, the car shifted as if I was driving in autostick, when stopping at lights, i heard the exhaust "gurgle" down like i was down shifting from 3rd to 1st which I never heard before in drive
I agree with you. I drive like a maniac in autostick for a day or so, and when I go back to normal "D" driving, the tranny/engine operates much differently, as in actual downshifting when coming to a stop, taking up the RPMs higher between shifts, etc...

But alas, it is short lived and it's back to granny mode after my wife drives the car for any length of time. Funny, after I was done with romping with the car the other day, she went out to get some groceries, and said she did a burnout when making a left turn by accident. LMAO :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.