Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I detail my car once a week, sometimes more. No matter what I do, how fast I dry it, or what wax I use, I can still faintly see water spots on the flat-black parts. Most people don't see them or notice them, but I do. Anyone have any tips?

Also, I've become obsessive about those little smudge marks that show up so easily (especially around the door handles). I guess I notice it more b/c of the glittery paint, it disrupts the reflection of the light, and drives me NUTS! Any tips for that, or should I continue to do my daily rounds w/the microfiber cloth??

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
For almost daily touch-ups I use the Turtle wax "ICE" detailer. I also use it on all my decals and they come out new. No streaks, spots of anything. I use microfiber cloths too of course. :)

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
For almost daily touch-ups I use the Turtle wax "ICE" detailer. I also use it on all my decals and they come out new. No streaks, spots of anything. I use microfiber cloths too of course. :)
Thats what I use and ICE is the best. shines up great, the decals too.:grin:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mequire's?

So does the ICE work better than the Mequire's quick detailer? I'm never quite happy with the looks of my decals after using it. Surprised I haven't rubbed them off as much as i wipe them down... lol...

·
Registered
719 Posts
i use some griots speed shine. makes them look new. very happy with the results.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been more than happy with the Eagle One Nano spray wax (quick detailer) for the body paint, I just wish there was a way to prevent the smudging....Guess I'll keep up w/the daily spray wax and my trusty ole microfiber cloth routine....

I've used the Ice, and it works pretty good, I've also tried the actual waxing-wax process w/the Mcguires Gold Class, but there are still VERY faint outlines of water spots on the black that, it seems, only I can see (everyone else looks at me like I'm crazy). Personal preference is still the Nano wax...never had too good of luck w/most Turtle wax or mcguires products as a whole, though I'll try it out when they come out w/new stuff. Always been really happy with the Eagle One products. For a really good real-wax job, I do use the Mcguires Gold Class though.

*lightbulb goes off* maybe it's my water at the house...come to think of it, when I take it to Simoniz, I don't have water spots. I usually only see the water spots after I detail it at home....hmmmmmm...

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Who uses the ICE liquid wax?

It's pissing me off... It never seems to dry and it never seems to come all the way off. :knockout:

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who uses the ICE liquid wax?

It's pissing me off... It never seems to dry and it never seems to come all the way off. :knockout:

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
That's the same problem I was having...I was having to go back and wipe it down several times before it looked right. It wound up looking pretty good, but was a lot more work than I was expecting. I switched to the Nano Wax and get really good results...except for my water spots, which I think is caused by the hard water at my house? It works great for any minor scratches, and does REALLY good on any bug-guts I may have missed during the initial washing process.
**I think I'm gonna try a second coat on the black parts to see if that works for the spots...

I also like Invisible Glass for my windows....it'll clean just about anything off of the windows and has NO streaks or residue! Anyone else use it??

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, I use Invisible Glass too. I just got back from a long trip to northern Michigan and as a result, had a mess of bug guts on my windshield. Invisible Glass worked like a charm.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I used zaino Z-6 yesterday after i washed and clayed to get rid of some black specs on my paint (probably tar) and it did a great job on the whole car.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you think claying would work to get off tire rubber?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Im not sure but if you send an email to zaino you will get a quick reply. Just go to thier website and shoot an email to them, i asked about the black specs i had on my paint and got a reply back within an hour or two.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I use mcguires h20 detail spray, just used it on the flat black hood decal and trunk lid 10 min ago, not one mark on them and 10 seconds of my time

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought some of the Mcguires Liquid clay bar last night...haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Has anyone else used it? How were your results compared to regular clay bar?

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
On mine decals I use mothers back to balck. Works great on the splash gaurds and black rockers us PC Daytona's have, but a real pain in the @ss to get off the paint. I have also tried Meguairs Rubber and Vinyl cleaner which works good to clean them up and comes right of the paint

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On mine decals I use mothers back to balck. Works great on the splash gaurds and black rockers us PC Daytona's have, but a real pain in the @ss to get off the paint. I have also tried Meguairs Rubber and Vinyl cleaner which works good to clean them up and comes right of the paint
I use the back to black on all the blace trim, grill, etc...but I've always been too afraid to use it on the decals b/c it's kinda oily. Has anyone else used the Back to Black on the decals?

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I use the back to black on all the blace trim, grill, etc...but I've always been too afraid to use it on the decals b/c it's kinda oily. Has anyone else used the Back to Black on the decals?

That is the down side with Back to Black is it is oily, but if you let it sit it does evaporate. So far I have had my best results with detail spray, the key I have learned is to make sure the decals are cool, if they are warm or at worse hot the wax sticks to them, streaks and then you have to use back to black to undo the damage. I thought I screwed mine up on the first detail I did, thanks to Napa and back to black I was able to remove the wax and the oily stuff is better then streky looking Vinyl

·
Registered
853 Posts
Water Spots

I've been more than happy with the Eagle One Nano spray wax (quick detailer) for the body paint, I just wish there was a way to prevent the smudging....Guess I'll keep up w/the daily spray wax and my trusty ole microfiber cloth routine....

*lightbulb goes off* maybe it's my water at the house...come to think of it, when I take it to Simoniz, I don't have water spots. I usually only see the water spots after I detail it at home....hmmmmmm...

If you have hard water, try the Mr. Clean AutoDry Car Wash System. The starter kit comes with a built-in filter and special detergent to eliminate spotting and hand-drying. (It costs about $20).

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you have hard water, try the Mr. Clean AutoDry Car Wash System. The starter kit comes with a built-in filter and special detergent to eliminate spotting and hand-drying. (It costs about $20).
hmmmmm...that's an idea! And a small price to pay for no water spots!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts