Charger Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Dodge Charger Scatpack
148 Posts
i got my hood and roof wrapped satin, looks good i think, and you can go through car washes, wraps last about 4-5 years no matter how you try to keep it, i even ceramiced them both myself to help it last the full 5

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
2,002 Posts
Something that all of the anti car wash people need to remember is that everyone doesn’t have access to do two bucket wash. I’m not allowed to wash my car where I live. I do my best to avoid the auto washes, and I’m definitely not happy with what happened to my wife’s car, but I can fix that and it’s happened once in 4 years.
Ideally, I agree, hand wash! But that’s not always an option.

Reactions: Callahan843

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I've been using automatic car washes off and on since I've been driving. I've yet to have one do any damage to the car. I've used mostly touchless. No, they don't do as good of a job, but I don't have the time to take 2 hours or so and do a good handwash. If there's bird shit and grime on my car, an automatic touchless will take care of that. I probably haven't washed my Charger by hand in probably 2 months again. I don't have the time. It's got greasy finger prints on the rear door handles, windows, dog nose prints on the glass. The only thing I do regularly is vacuum and clean the windshield. Don't care much, still goes vroom when I need it to.

Reactions: Random69

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
2,191 Posts
I get the reasoning but there's a reason most people use them either too lazy or too busy such as myself lol to take time to handwash them every time, and I don't like to half ass a wash I will just hope my paint stays good enough for me to put the money down for a proper paint correction and ceramic coat, but we'll see. How long does it take to wash your vehicle by hand? I have been thinking about trying to create a routine where I can wash the car quickly usually before I just sprayed it down with water and some chemical guy's ceramic coat soap stuff and wiped it down quickly, I definitely need to refine my car washing skills to be more efficient. Usually when I wash, I want to make sure theres no swirls or water marks and that takes time doing that all over the car
Taking care of your car is a personal decision and it takes time to do it right, like anything in life. Being busy is fine but if you want to take care of your car right, stay away from auto car washes. They will scratch your paint and overtime your car will look awful.

Washing your car , we are talking about the Charger , takes about 1 to 1.5 hours to do right. I can get it done from start to finish in 1 hour but if I'm taking my time, it takes about 1.5 hours and I have spent 2 hours.

So the trick to keeping your car nice is starting fresh. A good wash , correction and coating will greatly lesson the time it takes to wash each week or whatever you decide to do it in because when you have a good coating, dirty doesn't stick as much. It's a slippery surface that cleans up easier and faster. When you don't have a coating, it's much harder to clean as everything sticks.

A coating doesn't have to be a full blown ceramic coating. You can use wax , paint sealants or spray coating in ceramic . All you can do yourself except a full blown ceramic coating. This requires a professional or a hobbyist who is willing to take the time and learn how to perform this as you can screw it up easily.

So lets start with a proper wash for now.
Always clean your wheels first before you spray any water on your paint. Clean and rinse each wheel . Use high quality wheel cleaners and rubber cleaner or an all in one like Adams Polishes tire and wheel cleaner. It's a great product but other brands make a good one to. Turtle wax has a Hybrid line that is excellent for the money and locally carried . You could start using all their products and be fine. Griots Garage is a step up IMO and worth the few pennies more per product. Saving money on car care products isn't something I'm willing to do unless the product is actually as good or better. Especially car wash shampoo, this is where I want to use high quality so I get the best wash possible.

Once all the wheel are properly cleaned, you now can move onto the paint. I suggest owning a pressure washer, they work much better than a hose and I would get an electric on as they are less powerful than gas powered models in general. You don't want a paint stripping powerful Pressure washer.

You can pre rinse before you do any work on the paint. A good rinse goes a long way. It helps knock off a lot of the loose dirt .

I also suggest a Foam cannon. this is a key tool for washing your car. You use it to prelube your car and it will safely remove some of the loose dirt by foaming up and safely falling off your car before you hand wash it.

I suggest Car Shampoo from Adams Polishes. You can use Turtle wax's Hybrid Solutions Soap. So many good brands don't buy cheap car wash soap.

You leave the foam on your car for a few minutes before you wash, use a high quality wash mitt and a bucket with a grit guard in it. This will allow you to scrub of any loose dirt each panel each time up dip the mitt for a clean surface .

Don't work in direct sunlight, wash early in the morning or after the sun goes down unless you have good shade.

Do a full rinse and then use a drying agent. Drying agents are usually Detail sprays. Adam's polishes makes excellent detail sprays but many brands are also good to. You spray each panel 1 to 3 sprays and then dry it with a high quality micro fiber drying towel. Again but a really good one.

Using a leaf blower is also key in starting the drying process. It knocks off most of the water before you touch it and really helps on the Charger as the Charger likes to hold water in all the cracks especially the tail lights and trunk area.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts