Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 Charger is showing some wear on the paint. No rust, but a lot of small chips, some scratches, etc. I was looking into getting a vinyl wrap and the local company I talked to said that any paint imperfection will show up due to the vinyl being so thin. They also said to stay away from matte colors because those are the worst at showing defects, and the satin ones would, too. This bummed me out a bit as I was hoping to do something different without getting too crazy.

Other than pictures online, I've never seen a car with a satin wrap - will it really show things as small as stone chips that are 1/16" or 1/8"? And surface scratches?

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Surface scratches not going past the clear coat no, but depending on how deep the chips are, yes.

·
Registered
2022 White Knuckle Scatpack Charger
141 Posts
I am sort of in the same position too while my car is still very new and only has a few rock chips they told me the same thing about wrapping over them, I feel the better option is getting chips repaired and paint correction then wrapping or a clearcoat or ppf. If you wrap over them, I imagine yes they would be noticeable but only if your really getting close to the imperfections, from a distance I feel they wouldn't even be noticeable especially if you get a darker color instead of a brighter one for your wrap, im still debating tbh

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
1,999 Posts
Be aware that you cannot or shouldn’t use an automatic car wash with a wrap.
I know many already frown on this practice. But if that is something that you do, make sure that you talk to them about that.

Reactions: Fronzizzle

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
2,190 Posts
You know what pisses me off about these comments? PPF and Wraps people do when they want to change the color of their cars and most don't do it off the lot. PPF is a protection film and if you buy a used car , you can't get it done?
I get pretty tired of some of the things I hear in the detailing world of today. Many good things but some bullshit things that really annoy more.

Ceramic coatings are one that piss me off , the amount of care you have to do in order do maintain a protection . It's protection , it doesn't protect from water spots , bird droppings , scratches etc but it will help you clean your car better then next time you wash it, Bullshit.

I never did a full ceramic coating on my car, I do soapy coatings and treat it like I would any other paint protection, I don't take care of the protection, I take care of my car.

I'm not getting PPF or a wrap, they cost to much and I'm not a fan of how they look. Wraps can look awesome but it's super thin damaged easily. I'm out.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
If it is a Rust Wrap a small defect or chips or deep scratches will probably add character. But if its is a non-pattern wrap I would want a defect free surface before stretching it. And I'm sure many people in the detailing or wrap business who reply rely on word of mouth for clients don't want to see their handiwork driving around with cellulite size defects in the end product.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Really it depends on what type of chips you're talking about. A chip that goes down to the paint or even bare metal, fill it prior to a wrap. Road rash on the front that's not through anything but the clear coat will most likely be ok. Obviously something with no shine is going to amplify the imperfections.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You know what pisses me off about these comments? PPF and Wraps people do when they want to change the color of their cars and most don't do it off the lot. PPF is a protection film and if you buy a used car , you can't get it done?
I get pretty tired of some of the things I hear in the detailing world of today. Many good things but some bullshit things that really annoy more.

Ceramic coatings are one that piss me off , the amount of care you have to do in order do maintain a protection . It's protection , it doesn't protect from water spots , bird droppings , scratches etc but it will help you clean your car better then next time you wash it, Bullshit.

I never did a full ceramic coating on my car, I do soapy coatings and treat it like I would any other paint protection, I don't take care of the protection, I take care of my car.

I'm not getting PPF or a wrap, they cost to much and I'm not a fan of how they look. Wraps can look awesome but it's super thin damaged easily. I'm out.
This is nice to hear, It seems very overused that its mandatory to do both in the car world and you absolutely must do according to "everyone", I could have gotten both but I would have spent 2000-3500 dependent on shop and type of film used just to make the car look shiny in my opinion I have never gotten these on my other cars that were performance vehicles and they looked just fine I am fine with imperfections and swirls most people literally will never tell the difference unless they look incredibly close into the cars paint and I already know I will have to pay up to get it paint corrected and such in the future since I plan to wrap it but the factory paint can't be that flimsy to where it won't last me a good chunk of years. I also get automatic car washes despite everyone swearing against them, I just seriously do not have the time to hand wash this thing daily, I work 60-hour work weeks on top of fulltime college, so I give it a detailing every other week and it looks great

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
This is nice to hear, It seems very overused that its mandatory to do both in the car world and you absolutely must do according to "everyone", I could have gotten both but I would have spent 2000-3500 dependent on shop and type of film used just to make the car look shiny in my opinion I have never gotten these on my other cars that were performance vehicles and they looked just fine I am fine with imperfections and swirls most people literally will never tell the difference unless they look incredibly close into the cars paint and I already know I will have to pay up to get it paint corrected and such in the future since I plan to wrap it but the factory paint can't be that flimsy to where it won't last me a good chunk of years. I also get automatic car washes despite everyone swearing against them, I just seriously do not have the time to hand wash this thing daily, I work 60-hour work weeks on top of fulltime college, so I give it a detailing every other week and it looks great
You have white knuckle paint so you can get away with the auto car washes. I have pitch black I could never get away with that. Everyone has to decide what amount of prevention they want to invest in. Car car , car life is personal for everyone . I garage keep my car and only hand wash. I polish it once a year , top it with a Ceramic Spray coating and then use toppers for the rest of the year. When I get to my 1 year polish, it's s light touch up , not a full blown correction as I barely have any swirls let along any scratches. So I don't need PPF or anything like that. I don't like it anyway.

·
Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
912 Posts
You have white knuckle paint so you can get away with the auto car washes. I have pitch black I could never get away with that. Everyone has to decide what amount of prevention they want to invest in. Car car , car life is personal for everyone . I garage keep my car and only hand wash. I polish it once a year , top it with a Ceramic Spray coating and then use toppers for the rest of the year. When I get to my 1 year polish, it's s light touch up , not a full blown correction as I barely have any swirls let along any scratches. So I don't need PPF or anything like that. I don't like it anyway.
I feel like PPF is for lazy people who don’t take time to do all that and they don’t have to worry about doing all of that. I will say it does help with road chips etc but idk

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I feel like PPF is for lazy people who don’t take time to do all that and they don’t have to worry about doing all of that. I will say it does help with road chips etc but idk
it's the only reason I would every get one and I would want to get it when the car was brand new so the front end doesn't have any chips. But I also find it very expensive and think over time, you could just re paint.

·
Registered
690 Posts
That is pretty much all that PPF protects from. While many higher end PPF have some self healing capabilities, it's main purpose is to protect against rocks. It also needs to be maintained just like paint. That is, you'd use a paint sealant on it just like the rest of the vehicle's paint. There are downsides to PPF as well. When a rock hits it and gouges the film, the film will have a defect in it unless it is replaced. The larger the panel of PPF, the higher the cost. While I have PPF on the front of my Charger, I think it is a better idea to have smaller sections covered so that, if a defect happens to the PPF, it can more cheaply be removed and replaced.

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
1,999 Posts
Automatic car washes should be avoided by everyone. They will damage paint as much as they will damage a wrap.
This is true. But a lot of people use them, so I thought I would mention it.
I have to clay my wife’s MB now because of the one around the corner. The whole passenger side looks like she’s been driving through the desert. And her car is black. 😡

• Haha
Reactions: Callahan843

·
Registered
141 Posts
Automatic car washes should be avoided by everyone. They will damage paint as much as they will damage a wrap.
I get the reasoning but there's a reason most people use them either too lazy or too busy such as myself lol to take time to handwash them every time, and I don't like to half ass a wash I will just hope my paint stays good enough for me to put the money down for a proper paint correction and ceramic coat, but we'll see. How long does it take to wash your vehicle by hand? I have been thinking about trying to create a routine where I can wash the car quickly usually before I just sprayed it down with water and some chemical guy's ceramic coat soap stuff and wiped it down quickly, I definitely need to refine my car washing skills to be more efficient. Usually when I wash, I want to make sure theres no swirls or water marks and that takes time doing that all over the car

·
Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
912 Posts
I get the reasoning but there's a reason most people use them either too lazy or too busy such as myself lol to take time to handwash them every time, and I don't like to half ass a wash I will just hope my paint stays good enough for me to put the money down for a proper paint correction and ceramic coat, but we'll see. How long does it take to wash your vehicle by hand? I have been thinking about trying to create a routine where I can wash the car quickly usually before I just sprayed it down with water and some chemical guy's ceramic coat soap stuff and wiped it down quickly, I definitely need to refine my car washing skills to be more efficient. Usually when I wash, I want to make sure theres no swirls or water marks and that takes time doing that all over the car
Best person to talk to about a good routine is @Mantis

1 - 20 of 27 Posts