Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2019 base model Charger and one of the mechanics I know who has a similar Challenger said that one of the best things you can do for a car with a Pentastar engine is get a thermostat that's set to 180° rather than the factory 210°. He said that having the thermostat set that high would cause the water pump to wear out within 70K miles.

Can anyone confirm this? And if so, where can I find a 180° thermostat?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
The Pentastar does not run well with a 180F thermostat-the PCM gets confused as they are designed to be most efficient running 215 -220F (I know that seems hot, but it is fine). A 195F thermostat is about as cold as anyone should ever put in a daily driven car, and I believe that is what the car comes with, not a 210 F. Driving around town in stop & go traffic mine will get up to 215 F a lot, but on a highway trip it runs 198-202F (even in AZ in August !) which is normal for a 195 F thermostat.

Running an engine cold (180F thermostat) is old school thinking that was fine on carburetor engines, but now that everything is controlled by computers & sensors, that is a no-no. (find a younger mechanic :))

·
Registered
816 Posts
.... A 195F thermostat is about as cold as anyone should ever put in a daily driven car, and I believe that is what the car comes with, not a 210 F.....
You are correct...
"In all engines the thermostat is closed below 195°F (90°C). Above this temperature, coolant is allowed to flow to the radiator. This provides quick engine warm up and overall temperature control"
"On the 6.2L engine, the thermostat starts to open at 203°F (95°C) and is fully opened at 222°F (105.5°C)"

·
Registered
391 Posts
Lots of debates on this subject. One argument is the temp rating is just the floor of the hysteresis, it opens sooner but may eventually rise to very close of the higher one. Not my opinion.
My Dyno operator required me to have a 180°F when I took her in to be tuned a 5.7L.

Anyway, it will also affect your fan cycles making them run more and possible wear them out sooner.
It can even effect your AC performance. Engine coolant temps (ECT) are monitored and considered in most things the PCM handles.

My Brother put one in his 2004 Silverado 5.3L and lost a noticeable amount of MPG and swapped back.

I can't see why one rated t-stat over another would wear a water pump out sooner.

In this pic of my fan calibration tables the highlighted fields show how much I lowered them for the 180 T-Stat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also with a cooler thermostat, the catalytic converters will not heat to the proper temperature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts