Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I plan on doing a mid muffler delete on my new 2020 charger scat pack and replacing them with aftermarket muffler but I had a few questions

1. My goal is to try to get a deep loud roar without the rasp. Similiar to stock sound but just louder. Would I be better off straight piping after muffler delete or just replacing them with after market mufflers such as vibrant or dynamax?

2. If I go for the aftermarket muffler ( the one I have in mind is the vibrant) whats the main difference between 3inch vs 2.5 inch. Which one provides a better deeper sound?

3. What advantage would I be losing out if I go to the mid muffler exchange vs getting axel back aftermarket or cat back aftermarket?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
You may want to try a set of Classic Chambered "Power Sticks" -- I know a couple Challenger guys that run them and they give a nice DEEP sound. If you went with a simple straight pipe it would be louder, but the rasp would still be there.

I tried a set of Vibrant mufflers once..they stayed on for three days before they went in the trash (awful sounding junk to my ears).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Dynamax 24250 or 24249 are affordable mid muffler swaps that increase volume, deepen the tone and don't have the rasp of straight pipes.

Whatever you do, leave the resonators at the rear bumper alone. Do NOT remove them. Highway cruising will make your ears cry if you do.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
Fr? I currently have a mid muffler delete and i've been seeing videos with also the resonators at the rear removed aswell so I was thinking of doing the same
The rear resonators were designed and are in place to prevent drone. I, in my infinite wisdom, thought I was smarter than the engineers and took mine off my 13 R/T 5.7. I'm here to tell you....around town it was awesome, but on road trips or anywhere that required light throttle and/cruising....well, it was unbearable, period.

Take it from someone who's been there and didn't listen when I was told to leave the resonators alone.

Currently, my Scat Pack is nowhere near stock, but the resos are still there.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
In addition to removing drone, the rear resonators do lower the sounds level but just a little. IMHO, not enough to warrant removing them as you then get terrible drone around 1200rpms. I have a 392 that is supercharged with no resonators and only Powersticks. While they sound good... it is way too loud. It does not bother me in the car but you can hear it blocks away. The Powersticks are basically the same as straight pipes and they only modify the exhaust tone just a bit. You get that low growl from them. My guess is, Powersticks with stock resonators would be a nice combo. Also, I went with 3" Powersticks. Rather then continuing the 2.75" pipes out the back, the shop ran 3" pipes from the Powersticks all the way out the back. Might make mine a bit louder as well. Can't imagine by much. With 2.75" pipes, you can go with 2.5" or 3" Powersticks (or any muffler), a shop is going to flange either the muffler or the pipes to fit.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have a Durango R/T and started with straight pipes and found it way too raspy that way. I went with Dynomax 24250's in their place, no more rasp, it is still pretty loud but just a little quieter than the straight pipes were, and the tone has gotten deeper over time. I love the sound my Charger 392 has, I'm not sure I'll do the same on it, but if I do I'll do the same mufflers on it. From what I've heard from others, Dynomax and Vibrant sound pretty similar to each other, so you can't go wrong with either setup there.

One other thing to note, the car is way quieter inside even with all the windows down than it is from the outside. The 1st time I heard my wife get on it going down the road, I was standing outside and she was maybe 300-400 yards from me. It was easily twice as loud as I thought it was, and sounds wicked as hell even from a distance. I pretty sure it is louder than my Durango, which is loud enough to wake the dead now as well LOL!

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts