Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the police impound your car for driving to fast?

And can they take said car and convert it to one of their own?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm pretty sure they can impound your car. I had the esc off last night and hand some fun with the wet roads. Mabye to much fun. I got stoped and explaied to the guy I just got the car and that it had alittle more horsepower then my 98 stratus. He got a kick out of the car and was looking fowarding to getting one himself. I guess I got lucky.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
BlackCharger06 said:
I'm pretty sure they can impound your car. I had the esc off last night and hand some fun with the wet roads. Mabye to much fun. I got stoped and explaied to the guy I just got the car and that it had alittle more horsepower then my 98 stratus. He got a kick out of the car and was looking fowarding to getting one himself. I guess I got lucky.
I got questioned like that once. Just picked up my 4WD Durango, and headed to a parking lot to see exactly what it would do in the snow - turning, stopping, all that. I'm sure he thought I was just a kid doing donuts, but I think he fully understood that I REALLY wanted to know what to expect from the vehicle in an empty lot, away from others, rather than have to suddenly find out on the road. Of course he just issued the standard warning "be careful" and all that. I couldn't imaging under those circumstances he would cite me.

Similarily, we take our daughter to her high school lot before and since getting her learners permit. We've been "checked", which consisted of them getting close enough to see it was a teenager at the wheel with parent alongside, nod and drive off.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yes and Perhaps. They can impound it if they feel its required to keep said bad driver off the road. Now if you have a few warrants and were smuggling drugs they can keep it and make it thiers. Highly unlikely.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Some places do sieze (the legalese involved in actually making an impounded vehicle legally theirs) vehicles from drug folks, and tax evaders, and some places, like CA, are trying to pass laws to crush cars caught street racing.

But to my knowledge, there is no legal mechanism for seizing vehicle from folks just caught speeding.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In California if you are driving at an excessive speed just say 100 MPH. Then you better believe they can tow your vehicle. That is considered reckless driving and is also a two point violation on you California DMV. Your insurance will love you. Of coarse if they are towing your vehicle the officer can also take you to jail and does not have to cite and release you. The bottom line is if your going to speed you better not get caught. Better yet just don't speed.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Here in Ontario Canada the law for speeding has recently changed. If you are caught going 50 km/hr over ANY speed limit then your license is suspended for 7 days (minimum), you get fined $2000 (minimum) and your car gets impounded for 7 days (minimum). You then have to pay the towing and storage fees for your car upon picking it up. Also, you get labelled as reckless driving, street racing, etc. If you are doing what the Police deem as "excessive street racing" or have illegal modifications (Nitrous, underglow, slicks, etc) then they can, and have, permenently confiscate your car. but don't worry because it wont be for to long because shortly after they call the news guys and run your car over with a loader :knockout: You get to read about it the next day on the front page of the paper. Harsh to say the least :cry:

Recent example, two guys in Bolton Ontario were doing 130 km/hr (minimum estimate) in an 80 zone and caused a 7 car pile up that closed a major 4 lane road for 9 hours. The guys survived but two ladies were killed. They haven't finished with the trial yet but there are already talks about doing a double feature on their cars with a couple of loaders. Their cars are stock, but because of the nature of their driving their cars have been confiscated by the police. Needless to say, these guys are going to get crucified to the maximum extent of the law.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
pretty much every state (that i know of) can impound vehicles, it's just more of what its for

as far as a cop being able to take the vehicle that was impounded and make it his personal vehicle? nuh uh, car becomes state property once its impounded..guess he could always buy it at auction :)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Absolutly and take you to jail for reckless driving. I think it really depends on the sistuation and where you are. I used to ride with my cousin, hes a Marion County Sheriff, and i think if it was residential area then you are done but i would bet if it was a country road you would probably get a nice fine. My best advice is save it for the track if you wanna see what your car will do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Asset Forfiture is a differnt area. As said above, its move involved with drugs and weapons. Traffic violations are a different segment of the law. Your vehicle may be impounded but you will be able to go and get it again. If for some reason you can not afford to get your vehicle and abandon it at the tow yard then the tow company can apply for title of the vehicle to sell to recoup their loses.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
in NY, if you are pulled over doing 100 MPH or more, you're car is automatically impounded.
not always the case.....I was being chased by an unmarked trooper one time and I was well over 100 mph...even when he pulled me over he asked me did i know how fast i was going and i said "85" and he chuckled!! he then said he was doing 95 trying to catch up with me and knew i was going a lot faster than that. he ended up dropping it down to 85 in a 65 a let me go on my way.....i thought i was going to jail though!!

this was on I-81 near syracuse by they way...not sure if you meant they impound your car statewide for being caught going over 100!!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The laws vary state to state.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Here in Texas I've seen them impound cars for speeding. "raises hand" been there done that. I was doing well over 140mph. But they can't use the vehicle unless you were caught with drugs. If so theres a process "I live about a mile away from a public auction/impound yard" and once the trial is done your veh is a goner. And yes the City State and County have first dibs if they want it.

·
Super Moderator
11,599 Posts
Here in Ontario Canada the law for speeding has recently changed. If you are caught going 50 km/hr over ANY speed limit then your license is suspended for 7 days (minimum), you get fined $2000 (minimum) and your car gets impounded for 7 days (minimum).
Yep. I know when I cruise on the 400 series highways I make sure I don't go over 150km/h. And it's soooo easy to do that. The first day that new law was passed they impounded 28 cars in the GTA. :knockout:

Here's the story:

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/262112

·
Registered
113 Posts
In California they can tow your vehicle if you are speeding over 100 miles an hour for reckless driving. Also if you going around using your vehicle to procure narcotics or perhaps prostitutes. If you are a validated gang member with a civil injunction in place that prohibits you from congregation in a certain area of the city.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Here in Ontario Canada the law for speeding has recently changed. If you are caught going 50 km/hr over ANY speed limit then your license is suspended for 7 days (minimum), you get fined $2000 (minimum) and your car gets impounded for 7 days (minimum). You then have to pay the towing and storage fees for your car upon picking it up. Also, you get labelled as reckless driving, street racing, etc. If you are doing what the Police deem as "excessive street racing" or have illegal modifications (Nitrous, underglow, slicks, etc) then they can, and have, permenently confiscate your car. but don't worry because it wont be for to long because shortly after they call the news guys and run your car over with a loader :knockout: You get to read about it the next day on the front page of the paper. Harsh to say the least :cry:

Recent example, two guys in Bolton Ontario were doing 130 km/hr (minimum estimate) in an 80 zone and caused a 7 car pile up that closed a major 4 lane road for 9 hours. The guys survived but two ladies were killed. They haven't finished with the trial yet but there are already talks about doing a double feature on their cars with a couple of loaders. Their cars are stock, but because of the nature of their driving their cars have been confiscated by the police. Needless to say, these guys are going to get crucified to the maximum extent of the law.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha hahaha lol :rockon: thats what I am talking ABOUT!

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
So, no definitive answer yet....

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you get arrested, they can tow your vehicle. So, windows tinted to dark, no front plate, not signing the ticket etc... you can go to jail, but Speeding and Open Container (here in Texas) are not arrestable offenses - but take reckless driving, dwi or any other form of Class C violations and above and you go to jail and can expect the car to be towed.

Drugs, Weapons - you can seize cash and property as long as it is a Felony.

·
Registered
10,657 Posts
someone remind me never to go to canada. 150KMH is like, 90 MPH isnt it? I can get to that speed on the freeway onramps....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts