Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 18 almost 19 and toward moving out I want to buy a car that I like that is a reasonable price... I live in California and I have a few charger questions.

Yes enjoy going fast, and a V6 is a good price, but at the same time not being a master of cars I'd imagine to go fast successfully you'd need a V8. Do you need a V8 to go fast quick?

Buying a car... 06 07 08 which is the best for looking to spend around 20 thousand.

Lastly I have a set of rims I was looking at that I would love to put on my charger assuming I get it... http://www.car-rims.com/detail.aspx?ID=953 (these are what i think i would like with a red car) (black leather interior)

Any suggestions or what not... thanks I actually am considering getting into cars more just because i love the way chargers look that much.

With this car im going to trade in my 03 explorer so yes, ideas and stuff please.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Your lifestyle itself may answer a number of your questions.

How important is it that you go fast versus have a great looking ride with a good 3.5 V6? These cars look fast sitting still. I had an 8 year old Duster when I was 18 - slant six. She looked awesome - still does since I still have her - waxed and shining - chrome wheels, etc. She wasn't fast, but she got me where I was going.

Something about cars, just when you think you can't let one pass by, they'll come out w/ something else that grabs you. Patience is key.

Just some tips, not trying to be a smart-guy here. Just trying to give you some thoughts in your quest for a Charger!

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Don't matter if it is a HEMI or a 2.7. Just find the one you like and grab it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for that, a few more questions, from the MSRP how much do you think i could bargain down?

Is the SXT worth it for me do you think

I want it to last long, is the leather interior worth it for another 500

And for price wise is the 06 07 or 08 gonna be a better deal, because i've been looking around online and it seems like the 08 is cheaper.

LASTLY does the SE have AWD options?

·
Registered
236 Posts
The SXT gives you things you might take for granted, for me its the boston stereo system. Comes with a few neat things, my dad got me the SXT mainly because he wanted me to have chrome rims, and that wasnt an option on SE, lol

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I want it to last long, is the leather interior worth it for another 500
I'd always go for leather whenever it's an option. It's more durable and easier to clean. I would have got leather in my Ram 10 years ago if it were available in a color other than camel beige.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot guys, the next link is just a thing to see if you guys like the way the rims look, but could they work on a TorRed charger... 20"

http://www.car-rims.com/detail.aspx?ID=953

and im not gonna lie im not the really smart with cars, im starting to learn more, but can pretty much any brand go on any car?... assuming i buy the wheels with those rims.

OOOHHH LASTLY... 06 07 08 what would be the best deal? Price wise it seems ONLINE by looking the 08 is cheaper but i have yet to hit up dealerships.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Nice looking rims

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah im just not sure if the Red would go with silver/black rims... and sorry for asking again lol just lookin for an answer 06 07 08... sorry if its annoying, and yeah V6 is gonna be fine with me :)

I drive an 03 explorer as is haha.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Thanks a lot guys, the next link is just a thing to see if you guys like the way the rims look, but could they work on a TorRed charger... 20"

http://www.car-rims.com/detail.aspx?ID=953

and im not gonna lie im not the really smart with cars, im starting to learn more, but can pretty much any brand go on any car?... assuming i buy the wheels with those rims.

OOOHHH LASTLY... 06 07 08 what would be the best deal? Price wise it seems ONLINE by looking the 08 is cheaper but i have yet to hit up dealerships.
I don't know if anyone would have the answer about the best deal - you'd need to get out there and find that.

Don't sweat not being smart about cars - your enthusiasm and willingness to learn is all that you need. Ignore the people who laugh at you for not knowing - no one knows everything. I've done extensive stuff with my Mopars over the years and I still use my service manuals or ask questions in places like this.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
The V6 is a peppy engine for a 6. The 3.5 can stay out of its own way. You will not be running low 14's in the 1/4 mile, but it will get you where you want to be, and you will look good getting there. It will cruise the highways at whatever speed you want just fine. If you dont plan to race, you will be very happy with it, and even happier with the much reduced payments. At 19, you will have one of the coolest rides of any of your friends. If you want to save a buck, look at Carmax. In cali I know they have a big one in duarte. Why take the depreciation hit when you can let someone else eat it? A new SXT Charger will cost about the same as a low mile R/T. Now, the R/T's with R&T and very meaty in performance, but on a budget. It does have the Hemi, so when your friends ask, you can say Why yes it does. You will have very few 4 door challengers in the speed question, but you will pay more. If you live in so cal, the V6 will be MUCH nicer to you in traffic, but the Hemi does hold its own in flat out cruising, so alot depends on your driving habits and environment. Also take into account what your insurance will be like. I suggest you call your agent and check. At your age, the difference between the V6 and the V8 could be very appreciable. Other things to look into are if the vehicle has Evic, Nav, which sound system, steering wheel audio, and many other things.
When you go to buy, remember, YOU are the guy with the money. If you dont like the dealer or saleman, leave. I suugest you drive at LEAST 3, and maybe drive each model twice. (SXT, RT, R/T with R&T) Look at new AND preowned. Check more than one dealer. Check on trade in at more than one. Have a friend drive you to the lot for the first 3 drives, so that your trade in is not there. Have a psare key with you when you DO take your vehicle in to be appraised for trade in value. Its amazing how they can "lose" your key while trying to get you to agree to the deal. Good luck, and happy chargering!

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
for your price question, every dealer is going to be different. like you mentioned earlier that a 08 is cheaper then a 07. when i bought my 07, it was cheaper then a 06 with the same exact features; because of the year, there where dealer incentives that made the price drop. no matter what Charger you get, they all look bad a$$. good luck.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a lot, very nice to go to a forum and get all of this information, im looking forward to February when i will most likely be getting my charger, and its nice to know i have so much time to scout out places around my area... and yeah thanks again, if you guys have any other suggestions just let me know you guys help out a bunch.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
One last suggestion. If you have access to a credit union, try to have the financing ready BEFORE you go to the dealer. Once you do that, negotiate the price. Do not let them play the 4 squares game. Get them as low as they will go on price (And go to Edmunds.Com to see what the true invoice and all dealer holdbacks are) and THEN tell them you have the financing already in place.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 final question,

the Crystler 300... they look exactly like the charger... are they not as "sporty" of cars or are they more rich ******* cars?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Same car, cushier more elite kinda folks IMO. Chargers are meaner. Just plain mean looking. Its like, a biker and a banker. Both may have a gun, but you expect the biker to pull his out first. lol

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
my advice is to go drive both of them. i'd never ever buy a car without test driving it and a few other cars i'm considering (you have to have something to compare it to). when i was looking for a car i test drove everything from pontiac gto's to honda civics... and like 3 or 4 chargers!

eventually i narrowed it down to an inferno red charger rt w/ r&t package, or a mango daytona (i llooovveedd the seats!!!)... ended up finding an awesome deal on the mango so i went with it

and as for the wheels... just make sure they have the right bolt pattern. i think our bolt pattern in 5x115 (i could be wrong tho). i looked on the website u posted and i couldnt find the bolt pattern listed...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
for about 24g tax included you can get a 5.7. for 20g you can only get a 3.5. these numbers assume the mileage around 20-25k for the 5.7 and 5-20k for the 3.5. i dont like those rims personally, too much going on. search for pics and see what kinda rims looks good on chargers.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I love my SXT, I wouldn't recommend the SE only because I'm used to my simple extras, 60/40 rear seat, fog lights, 18" rims (17" are standard on SXT), 6 speaker Boston accoustics stereo, 6 disc in dash and an option of leather. Look at the 07, 06 like mine had a few recalls that were fixed before the 07s came out and may be less of a hassle, but IMO the 3.5 is a good engine. Granted I want the SRT after riding in one but I've loved my V6 and if my wife couldn't afford it for me ;) I would be happy with it for a while.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts